PDA

View Full Version : What spray wax/sealant to use over Collinite 845?

Pages : [1] 2

RobZ71LM7
02-18-2011, 10:58 AM
What would be a good LSP maintenace product to use over 845? Something more carnauba based or sealant based? I was wondering if there would be any issues with a sealant like "Ultimate Quik Wax" have bonding issues of 845 or would I be better off with using OCW since it is carnauba based?

I'm just looking for something to use after washes to add protection first and enhance looks and slickness between coats.

SeaJay's
02-18-2011, 11:09 AM
You do not want to use a sealant over 845. 845 is kind of a hybrid sealant/wax but if you are going to apply a sealant you want to top a sealant with a carnauba.

I'd top the 845 with something like OCW. You never want to use any sealant type product on top of a carnauba based product.

RTexasF
02-18-2011, 11:39 AM
I've used Aquawax (technically a sealant) over it with no ill effects. No smear, no problems, and it looked incredible. It was super slick initially and more so the next day. Aquawax seems to play well with anything and everything it is applied over. Optimum wax would certainly be a great choice, hard to go wrong with it.

CleanGene
02-18-2011, 11:42 AM
You do not want to use a sealant over 845. 845 is kind of a hybrid sealant/wax but if you are going to apply a sealant you want to top a sealant with a carnauba.

I'd top the 845 with something like OCW. You never want to use any sealant type product on top of a carnauba based product.

:iagree: OCW would be a great choice. Easy to apply and would give you more POP.

RobZ71LM7
02-18-2011, 01:06 PM
That's kind of what I expected-quick spray sealants wouldn't bond over Collinite. OCW it is then.... Thanks!

D_Nyholm
02-18-2011, 04:46 PM
What about using something like Megs Quik wax?

bill57
02-18-2011, 04:48 PM
plus 2 on Aquawax.

bill buxton
02-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Dealing here with harsh winters I have had great luck with "aquawax" over 845. The 845 is my staple here 2-3-4 coats over the winter season and its great. AW is a great final product after a wash... :dblthumb2::props:

Lasthope05
02-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Dont think to much into applying a spray wax or sealant on top of any lsp. Spray waxes/sealants are just booster products to refresh the look of the underlying lsp so it doesnt really matter if its truely bonding or not. I have never had any ill effects using a spray sealant over a wax. Also there is no real way of knowing if a spray wax/sealant is truly bonding anyways as your base lsp will still be there protecting the paint.

One thing about ocw is it has a tendency to streak on warm days or on dark colors.

BobbyG
02-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi Rob,

I apply a sealant then a nice coat of Collinite 845. This combination gives me long term protection and a seriously wet shine. Through the winter I've washed my truck several times with a conventional Duragloss 901 and hot water and also with DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss.

Once the surface is mostly dry, I go over the entire exterior with Optimum Spray Wax or Pinnacle Souveran Spray Wax. Both these products leave the finish glowing while adding additional protection...

I have some Ultima and C-Magic products that I'm dying to try but it'll be several weeks before I'm ready....or should I say Mother Natures ready...

Old Tiger
02-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Dont think to much into applying a spray wax or sealant on top of any lsp. Spray waxes/sealants are just booster products to refresh the look of the underlying lsp so it doesnt really matter if its truely bonding or not. I have never had any ill effects using a spray sealant over a wax. Also there is no real way of knowing if a spray wax/sealant is truly bonding anyways as your base lsp will still be there protecting the paint.

One thing about ocw is it has a tendency to streak on warm days or on dark colors.
100% agree. I gave up on OCW for that reason. Pinnacle Spray is much less finicky as is 4 Star and DG AW.

Old Tiger
02-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Hi Rob,

I apply a sealant then a nice coat of Collinite 845. This combination gives me long term protection and a seriously wet shine. Through the winter I've washed my truck several times with a conventional Duragloss 901 and hot water and also with DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss.

Once the surface is mostly dry, I go over the entire exterior with Optimum Spray Wax or Pinnacle Souveran Spray Wax. Both these products leave the finish glowing while adding additional protection...

I have some Ultima and C-Magic products that I'm dying to try but it'll be several weeks before I'm ready....or should I say Mother Natures ready...
Bobby, I know you cant wait for Spring! Think youre gonna like both of your new LSP's!

BobbyG
02-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Bobby, I know you cant wait for Spring! Think youre gonna like both of your new LSP's!

Jim, I think you're right!! :props:

ScottB
02-25-2011, 08:01 PM
perhaps Four Star Spray Wax or Einszett Lackfinish ??? Optimum CarWax also comes to mind.

dougaross
02-25-2011, 08:09 PM
I've used Aquawax (technically a sealant) over it with no ill effects. No smear, no problems, and it looked incredible. It was super slick initially and more so the next day. Aquawax seems to play well with anything and everything it is applied over. Optimum wax would certainly be a great choice, hard to go wrong with it.
:iagree: