PDA

View Full Version : Help - did I fail on this?

washnwax
02-17-2011, 11:12 PM
I thought I'd hit my BMW b-pillar while I was in the area with a white pad and XMT #1. Looked great, however, tonight I parked under a bright flourescent light in a parking lot and noticed the taped area was darker, deeper black, and the area I hit was somewhat faded. Note that when I lifted the pad, it was kind of black...so I pulled off some paint. I didn't think this was plastic, and thought it was clear-coated too.

Is it possible to get the luster back? Note, I didn't glaze or wax this. Thoughts?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/photo9.JPG

BobbyG
02-18-2011, 06:56 AM
It's very difficult to see what your actually describing. A photo showing more of the car so that we can clearly understand what your describing.

A simple magnet should tell you whether or not the area is plastic

XMT #1 is a fine swirl remover. Generally after a polish you'd apply a sealant or wax as protection.

Some polish residue might remain giving a cloudy appearance.

If it is plastic then a cleaner might be needed to remove any residue.

SeaJay's
02-18-2011, 07:31 AM
Did you do an IPA wipe down after you polished out? Hard to tell from the pic exactly what we're looking at. But like Bobby said it could be residue from the polish that's causing the hazy look. I'd try an IPA wipe down of the area and see if there is still a considerable difference.

washnwax
02-18-2011, 10:51 AM
The red line shows the tape line. Above line was taped. Below line was where I hit with the white pad /XMT #1. I haven't wiped it off with IPA or final inspection. I also didn't glaze or wax yet...

Could the white pad and XMT #1 actually remove paint regardless? I'm wondering why the pad had some black color on it after I hit this area...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/mod_photo.jpg

SeaJay's
02-18-2011, 10:54 AM
It has some light cutting ability, so yes it's possible to remove paint. If the color is coming off on the pad it's either theres no clear coat or it's single stage paint.

GaDetailDoc
02-18-2011, 11:29 AM
This is a single stage painted surface which has oxidized. Once lightly polished, its gloss will resurface. It is normal to have black residue on your pad. I have run into this several times. I generally spend limited time on these pillars given the surface area and desired outcome.

Munich77
02-18-2011, 08:30 PM
Isn't shadow-line trim kind of a matte finish? It is on my car...

Flash Gordon
02-19-2011, 07:42 AM
When you say "you pulled off some paint" are you reffering to paint transfer on your towel? or did you literally pull off a section of paint?

Answering this will help me determine if you failed or not :laughing: