PDA

View Full Version : Charging extra for pickup of vehicle?

Pages : [1] 2

mswerb
02-17-2011, 10:30 PM
I am working on setting up some spring details to be done from my home, and some of the customers are close to 30 minutes away. Does anyone charge extra for a pickup of a vehicle?

Spicy McHaggis
02-17-2011, 10:34 PM
I don't mainly because I'd rather pick up a vehicle than do a mobile detail. I do mobile details, but I hate them with a passion. Only thing you have to let them know is the vehicle may not be perfect after you drive it back to them. I always being some towels and QD, but other than that it's on them.

Kristopher1129
02-17-2011, 11:40 PM
30 minutes away! It's just about what you're willing to do. I will pick up a car that's 10 minutes or so from me (if I absolutely have to, and if I have the time)...but that's it. If I were you...I would definitely charge for that. There's no reason you shouldn't. That's an hour out of your day. If you have to drop it back off...that's two hours!

Take what you charge for a full detail, divide it by how many hours it takes you...and there's your charge for an hour drive. I like this method cause you can easily explain your rate to the customer if need be. Simple math. They can't argue that. If they do...tell them to drop it off then! :dblthumb2:

Another thing to think about. Typically, if you do something like that for a customer once...they expect it every time. It's hard to say no, when they say "well you did it for me last time". I've had to deal with that in the past. It can get annoying.

C. Charles Hahn
02-17-2011, 11:50 PM
I don't mainly because I'd rather pick up a vehicle than do a mobile detail. I do mobile details, but I hate them with a passion. Only thing you have to let them know is the vehicle may not be perfect after you drive it back to them. I always being some towels and QD, but other than that it's on them.

:werd: I do the same thing. Only stipulation is that there must be a safe place for me to park and leave my truck at the location where I pick the client's vehicle up.

Spicy McHaggis
02-18-2011, 12:41 AM
Kris, from what I gather you do production type work so an hour out of your day will cost you a lot more than it would cost me. So from that stand point I totally agree with you. For me when I'm already spending 20-40 hours on a vehicle another hour doesn't make or break the job.

:werd: I do the same thing. Only stipulation is that there must be a safe place for me to park and leave my truck at the location where I pick the client's vehicle up.

Yeah, usually I will make sure there is a parking space or just have Mrs. Spicy drop me off if she isn't busy.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

C. Charles Hahn
02-18-2011, 12:50 AM
LOL... I just noticed I tried using a smiley BBCode from another board... proof I post in too many different places at once!

master detailer
02-18-2011, 07:26 AM
if your insured to drive there car then its just time but if your not well ? i dont have to say anything more . ps 30 mils in my town is 1hr so thats 4 hrs

Kristopher1129
02-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Kris, from what I gather you do production type work so an hour out of your day will cost you a lot more than it would cost me. So from that stand point I totally agree with you. For me when I'm already spending 20-40 hours on a vehicle another hour doesn't make or break the job.

Yeah that's true. I do get customers where their vehicles are here for a couple days for a "Platinum Package" which is my high end package. If someone was to need a pickup for that package...I would probably be just like you, and just go get it. With a job like that..I can understand cause you're already making good money to begin with. Plus, time on a service like that is not so important. Most likely it would be a nice car too! :cruisin:

Spicy McHaggis
02-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Yeah that's true. I do get customers where their vehicles are here for a couple days for a "Platinum Package" which is my high end package. If someone was to need a pickup for that package...I would probably be just like you, and just go get it. With a job like that..I can understand cause you're already making good money to begin with. Plus, time on a service like that is not so important. Most likely it would be a nice car too! :cruisin:

Exactly! :)

Flash Gordon
02-18-2011, 04:26 PM
30 minutes away! It's just about what you're willing to do. I will pick up a car that's 10 minutes or so from me (if I absolutely have to, and if I have the time)...but that's it. If I were you...I would definitely charge for that. There's no reason you shouldn't. That's an hour out of your day. If you have to drop it back off...that's two hours!

Take what you charge for a full detail, divide it by how many hours it takes you...and there's your charge for an hour drive. I like this method cause you can easily explain your rate to the customer if need be. Simple math. They can't argue that. If they do...tell them to drop it off then! :dblthumb2:

Another thing to think about. Typically, if you do something like that for a customer once...they expect it every time. It's hard to say no, when they say "well you did it for me last time". I've had to deal with that in the past. It can get annoying.

:iagree: 110%

Bates Detailing
02-18-2011, 04:31 PM
INSURANCE - very important if you are driving their vehicles around an hour out of the day..... no insurance - not worth the risk IMO

Grizzly
02-18-2011, 05:00 PM
I have found a lot of people like the "pickup" service.

mswerb
02-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks for all the input. I generally don't like picking vehicles up for 2 reasons. 1- it cuts into time spent on the vehicle and 2- chances are that it will need a once over upon return.
This particular job may turn into more work for me, which is a good thing.

AeroCleanse
02-18-2011, 10:27 PM
I am working on setting up some spring details to be done from my home, and some of the customers are close to 30 minutes away. Does anyone charge extra for a pickup of a vehicle?

I don't pick up at all. Either I go to them and do the work, or they drop it off. I might give them a ride back and pick them up but I never pick up the car.

Spicy McHaggis
02-18-2011, 10:35 PM
I don't pick up at all. Either I go to them and do the work, or they drop it off. I might give them a ride back and pick them up but I never pick up the car.

Is this for a specific reason, or do you just not like to do it?