PDA

View Full Version : Starter Kit 2007 Acura MDX

yianni54
12-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Hello all,

I am a newbie. Great forum. . .

I have just purchased a 07' Acura MDX, Billet Silver. I would like to know what are the best producta to get. I know I need a Porter cable but what about all the other products (Exterior, Interior, towels, etc).

What do you guy's recommend as a good starter kit? There are so many dam products I don't know what to choose from.

What is the best for exterior (Wolfgang, Pinnacle, Poor Boy's, etc?). How about for interior, Lexol, Wurth, etc? Just so many I am so confused. Please let me know what you guy's would get to start out with. Thanks

sparkie
12-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Welcome to AGonline. So many good products out there, it's hard to say. Just starting out I would say you need some good soap like DP shampoo, or DG#901.
Clay, any AG sells is fine.
Being new with no swirls, polishes with AIO.
Wax, MaxWax, or Liquid Souveran.
or
after claying, you can go with DG#101 and top with DG#105. I can't really say which is the best. It all depends on the person. The products I wrote are products I have used and like.

ltoman
12-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Hello all,

I have just purchased a 07' Acura MDX, Billet Silver. I would like to know what are the best producta to get. I know I need a Porter cable but what about all the other products (Exterior, Interior, towels, etc).

What do you guy's recommend as a good starter kit? There are so many dam products I don't know what to choose from.

What is the best for exterior (Wolfgang, Pinnacle, Poor Boy's, etc?). How about for interior, Lexol, Wurth, etc? Just so many I am so confused. Please let me know what you guy's would get to start out with. Thanks

You have no swirls? That would be a bit of a factor, imho.:confused:
Welcome to the forum, btw!!!:) :)

sparkie
12-23-2006, 04:05 PM
You have no swirls? That would be a bit of a factor, imho.:confused:
Welcome to the forum, btw!!!:) :)
I'm the one that said no swirls, because he didn't say he had them.:D

yianni54
12-23-2006, 05:15 PM
The car is brand new. I don't see any swirls. . .

Surfer
12-23-2006, 06:04 PM
I had this in the other thread that didn't get replies, so here it goes:

The Poorboys Porter Cable kit, along with DP interior Cleaner and Protectant combo, DP Krystal Vision or Invisible Glass for glass, for wheels DP Wheel Cleaner, for tires pick up some Armor All regular Tire Foam and either you can grab AA Extreme Gel at any auto store which I love or grab a gel from AG like DP Tire Gel (still pick up the Armor All foam as it cleans very well when sprayed on and leaves a good base for gels).

Other than that, I would grab an Edge Schmitt for washing, along with some Duragloss AquaWax, and make sure you get lot's of microfibers! Or what you could also do is grab the Porter Cable cheap at Lowes, and buy a mix of products on here instead of a kit (which I did instead) along with the Edge 2K pad kit.

Honestly theres so many choices, but that was just off the top of my head.

ScottB
12-23-2006, 06:26 PM
UPP is great on silver ...

http://www.autogeek.net/four-star-ultimate.html

JSR
12-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Get GOOD things to wash with and learn how to use them! Technique is even more important than what you use.

You not only need a good shampoo (Duragloss, Poorboys, DP) but you need the tools to do it with also. The more you touch your car the more swirls you will get. I use a MF Bone, others swear by the Schmit glove, others by sea sponges, foam guns, etc. A guzzler drying towel (mine is in the mail) or other waffle weave towel to dry with. You might also look at one of the surgical plastic blade thingees for removing excess water before towelling. Some people here even use a leaf blower/ shop vac to blow excess water off to minimize touching the paint.

Clay and lubricant, I have the DP clay and use the DP 4in1 mix for lube. Yes, even a new car should be clayed. You will be amaxed at what comes off.

If you do not have any swirls now, I would suggest the Klasse twins, AIO and SG, to start with. Good protection, very light swirl removal, nice layerable shine and relatively easy to put on by hand. Will make the silver pop! You can also put carnubas on top of them if you want a different look.

If you get the Porter-Cable (PC) and want to polish then I would suggest either the Optimum or XMT polishes for light swirl removal and surface prep. I have not used either but that seems to be the AG site consensus.

You will also want a Quick Detailer spray for after wash touch ups to the shine. The Pinnacle Crystal Mist works well with a MF towel wipe.

You are about to become a collector of Micro Fiber (MF) towels. They do make a difference and they are all different. My personal favorites are the 'indigo' towels for wax removal and glass and the 'Miracle' towels for buffing, QD and glass. The Miracle towels have a long side and a short side.

Welcome to the AG world of Obsessive Compulsive Detailing! There's a lot more to choose but I think this is a place to start in protecting your paint. Congrats on the new Acura!

JSR
12-23-2006, 06:57 PM
As you can see the choices become personal with what you have used. Surfer and Killrwheels spoke up while I was typing. Listen to them (and Justin), they have been OCD for a long time and have used almost everything there is. Is there anything the two of you have NOT used?

Surfer
12-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Forgot to mention something, not trying to take away from AG but I think people said there was a sale at Lowes for the Porter Cable at 40 or 50 bucks, something like that. I would get that, then you'd have more money to spend at AG.

yianni54
12-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Thank you all for your reply's!!!!!!!!!

I appreciate it. . .I was so confused with all the different products.

I checked the Lowe's website but could not find the Porter cable there. Does anyone have a link? Thanks

ltoman
12-23-2006, 09:34 PM
i think you have to go in the store - that was my impression!
try a lot of stuff. you would be surprised - sometimes products turnout to be the opposite of what you expect.
ps21 wheel cleaner is excellent. The others have not impressed me yet.
Wash it with Pinnacle Body Shampoo - that stuff rocks!:cheers:

supercharged
12-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Hello all,

You can never go wrong with brands like DP, Wolfgang, Pinnacle, and Poorboy's. All their products will meet or exceed expactaions.

Good luck.