PDA

View Full Version : Nerves.....

jonn127
02-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Why is it I have no problem doing my friends and families car, but I'm doing my first "real" customer this weekend and I'm nervous as can be. Its a G37, I'll be using a PC so think I'd really have to try to mess it up. Any advice on G37 paint?

BobbyG
02-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Because with your friends and family you have a natural comfort level. If something isn't quite right they'll most likely cut you some slack.

The Infinity is no different than the cars you've done. You really haven't let us in on how much detailing you'll actually be doing.

Put an attack plan together and stick to it. This is basically my plan for just about any car but depending on what I end up doing I'll add or subtract from it.

Interior
Wheel wells
Wheels and tires
Engine compartment
Exterior

Wash
Clay
Tape
Compound
Polish
Sealant
Wax
Glass
Trim

Door Jambs
Tire treatment
Wheel Sealant or Wax

Inspect the car and photograph potential issues prior to starting and make notes.
Start slow and take your time.
Less aggressive to start
Attention to detail

GaDetailDoc
02-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Because with your friends and family you have a natural comfort level. If something isn't quite right they'll most likely cut you some slack.

The Infinity is no different than the cars you've done. You really haven't let us in on how much detailing you'll actually be doing.

Put an attack plan together and stick to it. This is basically my plan for just about any car but depending on what I end up doing I'll add or subtract from it.

Interior
Wheel wells
Wheels and tires
Engine compartment
Exterior

Wash
Clay
Tape
Compound
Polish
Sealant
Wax
Glass
Trim

Door Jambs
Tire treatment
Wheel Sealant or Wax

Inspect the car and photograph potential issues prior to starting and make notes.
Start slow and take your time.
Less aggressive to start
Attention to detail

Do you do a final wash after compounding and polishing?

BobbyG
02-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Yes I do.

Typically, I'll do a wipe down after compounding and after polishing. I use mineral spirits to clean the panel in order to quickly inspect to ensure that I've accomplished what I set out to do.

After my final polish I use an Isopropyl Alcohol, (IPA) wipe down so that any residual oils or contaminates are removed. I want to give the sealant a clean dry surface to bond to and this allow me to give it just that.

jonn127
02-18-2011, 01:27 PM
whew, just met the guy and his car and no worries, he tried doing it himself with a rotary and Mothers, holograms and swirls everywhere. Can't wait to get it tonight!!!

SeaJay's
02-18-2011, 01:33 PM
whew, just met the guy and his car and no worries, he tried doing it himself with a rotary and Mothers, holograms and swirls everywhere. Can't wait to get it tonight!!!

Awesome! It's always nerve racking doing your first real detail. You have a 1000 things going through your mind and you don't know what the person is going to be like.

Just take your time and pay attention and I'm sure it will turn out awesome!

slickooz
02-18-2011, 01:50 PM
As long as you provide the same or better service you shouldn't worry too much. I haven't really step into a non friends client job yet but I have done a few and I'm confident I can get the job done, if not there always nice people here to help you out.

Have a plan and try to estimate how long each step going take. So you can give a fair price. Good luck

ExoticAutoDetai
02-18-2011, 02:56 PM
I have heard if you feel nervous and not real good when you know you about to do something for the first time then it means you are not ready for it.

Exotic Auto Detail via tapatalk

jonn127
02-18-2011, 03:07 PM
I have heard if you feel nervous and not real good when you know you about to do something for the first time then it means you are not ready for it.

lol, I've also heard that if you don't have any nerves before a game, then you need to walk away.....
Besides, nervous was maybe the wrong word. More like excited, anxious, etc.....

Kristopher1129
02-18-2011, 03:11 PM

Nerves are normal. Being a detailer...even though you go through the motions to provide your service. You never really know what the customer is expecting...and that alone is nerve racking. Just cause you don't want an argument or something of that nature.

I know how you felt cause I got that a lot when I first got my business. You feel a lot of pressure to do an over the top job. But when it comes down to it...I've done LOTS of cars from when I got my business to now. I've never had a customer leave angry, or dissatisfied. Actually, most the time when you get that nervous feeling....the customer shows up and is ecstatic about the results!

Just remember...chances are, the customer doesn't have anywhere near the amount of knowledge you (the skilled detailer) are equipped with. So, the chances of you not pleasing your customer...are practically 1 in a 1000. Good luck, and congrats on your first paying customer!! :props:

C. Charles Hahn
02-18-2011, 03:13 PM

There are two ends to that spectrum, though. Too nervous, and not nervous enough. If you find yourself on either end of that, you're not ready.