PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Flash Gordon
02-18-2011, 08:14 PM
It looks like a great system for all you DA guys but I've read a few reviews where they said M105 + shurbuf cuts faster and removes more defects. But then again I think a system like this could wreak havoc on the whole detailing system of least aggressive first. People will be too quick to jump into compounding and worry less about paint thickness.

Why would anyone go through all the expense on this system when its been documented by some of the selected testers that Surbufs performed better :dunno: I wanna go forward, not backwards

embolism
02-18-2011, 08:40 PM
since I will probably just do one car per session, I like the fact that they are easy to clean and I can use 1 pad per type for the whole car.

This system is probably geared more towards the hobbyist than the pro detailer, though the ease of the compounding and finishing was pretty apparent in the video i.e
less taping, less passes, ease of residue wipeoff...you might get a couple extra cars done in a day using this depending on how bad they are to begin with...

PAR Detailing
02-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Why would anyone go through all the expense on this system when its been documented by some of the selected testers that Surbufs performed better :dunno: I wanna go forward, not backwards

I'm giving it the old college try not for full corrections but rather the one steppers where the people don't want to spent the money for full corrections. I'm buying it in hopes that it is fast and corrects well and finishes down descent. I can sell people on one steps but it's hard to get people to buy into the price of full correction.

Do I have something that fits this category already... Sure but it's worth the $ to have it in the arsenal

I'll try it Flash and if I like it I'll let you borrow it. So you can give it a whirl

C. Charles Hahn
02-18-2011, 09:20 PM
since I will probably just do one car per session, I like the fact that they are easy to clean and I can use 1 pad per type for the whole car.

This system is probably geared more towards the hobbyist than the pro detailer, though the ease of the compounding and finishing was pretty apparent in the video i.e
less taping, less passes, ease of residue wipeoff...you might get a couple extra cars done in a day using this depending on how bad they are to begin with...

I would be inclined to think it's exactly the opposite. There is a very large market of high volume pro detailers, and those who primarily focus on single step polishing. The high end pros who do extensive corrections and put dozens of hours into each vehicle they work on are really few and far between.

MI Mike
02-18-2011, 09:33 PM
My question's would be directed to Mike or individuals who participated in the testing phase of the Meguiar's DA MF Sys.

(1.) In Mike's video presentation they mention that the System should only be used with OEM Factory Applied Paint Finish.

What about vehicles that have been repainted and aged? Any pre-cautionary comments ?

(2.) Also they mentioned that only the Meguiar's DA Backing Plate should be used because it keeps the pad cooler. How is this going to work with the PC-7424 DA ?

Purchase a new backing Meg. Backing Plate, or use 7424 with caution.

RaskyR1
02-18-2011, 10:17 PM
My question's would be directed to Mike or individuals who participated in the testing phase of the Meguiar's DA MF Sys.

(1.) In Mike's video presentation they mention that the System should only be used with OEM Factory Applied Paint Finish.

What about vehicles that have been repainted and aged? Any pre-cautionary comments ?

(2.) Also they mentioned that only the Meguiar's DA Backing Plate should be used because it keeps the pad cooler. How is this going to work with the PC-7424 DA ?

Purchase a new backing Meg. Backing Plate, or use 7424 with caution.

It's not meant for fresh paint and fresh paint's typically don't finish down well with a DA regardless of what polish is being used. However, if the paints been fully cured it's kind of a crap shoot. In my review you will see the black Acura where I wet sanded the panel. That car was repainted a little over a year ago with a high solids clear. If finished down almost perfectly with the D300 compound. This may not be the case with all aftermarket paint jobs. Do a test panel and go from there.

For optimal performance you should use the Meguiars backing plates, which don't cost that much BTW. I tried it with my LC backing plates to start with and I still had good results, but I also had one pad failure. Granted this was before they told us to keep the speeds down and to use their backing plates.

Irish
02-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Any word on durability from the sealant/wax portion of the Finishing Wax? I'm guessing similar to D151, which I've never known to last more than a few weeks all by itself.

It's an interesting kit to be sure. I'll pick one up for use with the 3401 just because there's nothing wrong with having new toys to play with.

embolism
02-18-2011, 10:56 PM
I would be inclined to think it's exactly the opposite. There is a very large market of high volume pro detailers, and those who primarily focus on single step polishing. The high end pros who do extensive corrections and put dozens of hours into each vehicle they work on are really few and far between.

didn't think of it that way but I see what you mean. I don't really know that much so figured that the mainstream businesses already had the means to do the same thing for less.

I've seen all the posts from people who are having problems with their first correction and if a system could almost guarantee something close to a 3 step correction in a 1.5 step process (I took off .5 of a step b/c that final polish was like 3 passes at 3 times the speed of the compounding passes) but it cost a little more, well I'm sure it would appeal to a few people... myself included

Flash Gordon
02-19-2011, 07:32 AM
I'm giving it the old college try not for full corrections but rather the one steppers where the people don't want to spent the money for full corrections. I'm buying it in hopes that it is fast and corrects well and finishes down descent. I can sell people on one steps but it's hard to get people to buy into the price of full correction.

Do I have something that fits this category already... Sure but it's worth the $ to have it in the arsenal

I'll try it Flash and if I like it I'll let you borrow it. So you can give it a whirl

I trust your evaluation Jon. I look forward to your review of this product. Do you have Surbufs? If not, I could send you a few to compare with :)

RobZ71LM7
02-19-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm really on the fence about this one as I'm about to make an order to take advanatge of the Wolfgang (menzerna) bogo. I just bought a 32 oz bottle of M105 after learning with an 8oz sample bottle. I find it's not hard to use following the KBM method and keeping the pad clean and corrects and finishes well (quickly) with orange pads. I'm not sure it would be much of a gain for me personally. If I got anything it would probably be just the correction compound and cutting pads.

PAR Detailing
02-19-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm really on the fence about this one as I'm about to make an order to take advanatge of the Wolfgang (menzerna) bogo. I just bought a 32 oz bottle of M105 after learning with an 8oz sample bottle. I find it's not hard to use following the KBM method and keeping the pad clean and corrects and finishes well (quickly) with orange pads. I'm not sure it would be much of a gain for me personally. If I got anything it would probably be just the correction compound and cutting pads.

Hey Rob, I see you are in louisville, me too. If you are unsure and dont want to buy it yet you are welcome to come over and try it out when I get mine in.
I only got the compound but you are welcome to try mine before you buy if you would like.

PAR Detailing
02-19-2011, 01:54 PM
I trust your evaluation Jon. I look forward to your review of this product. Do you have Surbufs? If not, I could send you a few to compare with :)

I do have a few surbufs but to be honest I havent pulled them out in a really really long time. I need to just to play around with them. People say they are great, I never gave it the time to really hone it in.

When I get the MF compound in I will have to compare: MF system, 105/surbuf, rotary/wool/105, and DA/105/cyan HT all side by side to see what they are all like.

Harleyguy
02-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Hey Rob, I see you are in louisville, me too. If you are unsure and dont want to buy it yet you are welcome to come over and try it out when I get mine in.
I only got the compound but you are welcome to try mine before you buy if you would like.Thats very cool of you too do to bad there isn't more guys here in South Florida that would make a offer like that . :props:

Flash Gordon
02-19-2011, 02:40 PM
I do have a few surbufs but to be honest I havent pulled them out in a really really long time. I need to just to play around with them. People say they are great, I never gave it the time to really hone it in.

When I get the MF compound in I will have to compare: MF system, 105/surbuf, rotary/wool/105, and DA/105/cyan HT all side by side to see what they are all like.

Yea Jon, I get the whole "trying to adjust" using the Surbufs. When I first got them I had the damndest time trying to figure out the best way to use them to achieve maximum results. I have just in the past couple of months finally figured out a method using these that produces maximum gloss. I suggest you have a few more test sessions before throwing in the towel with these

Thats very cool of you too do to bad there isn't more guys here in South Florida that would make a offer like that . :props:

Adam, Jon is an outstanding young man. He is definately a giver and not one of these blood sucking, backstabbing, cutthroat, sellout, fake leaches that are all to common to the Forum World

BTW...How have you and your family been doing. I haven't seen you around much as of late. Is that new business taking off any? I think its a fabulous idea, and if your looking for someone to sell for you, I would be intrested in learning more about said product. I have had about all the fun I can stand detailing. It has become soooo boring to me :surrender:

James K
02-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Thats very cool of you too do to bad there isn't more guys here in South Florida that would make a offer like that . :props:
I am across the state from you, and am going to order the starter kit once it is put out for order. You are more then welcome to come on over to Naples and try it out one weekend.