PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat worried

Pages : [1] 2

Bates Detailing
02-16-2011, 07:23 PM
So I'm polishing a bus today - and my wrist just started throbbing, almost like I sprained it but out of no where. I trained MMA for about 3 years (mainly Muay Thai) and am a South Paw, so this is my jab and hook hand that probably got jarred a million plus times while sparring, hitting a bag, etc. Now I am getting worried that it is gonna get worse and worse until I can't pick up a polisher! This is what I do full time and can't take the loss of use of one of my wrists - I'd be screwed! Anyone here a doctor?!?!?!?!

Porsche Pilot
02-16-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm not a doctor and havent played one on tv yet. Yikes. Maybe its just a muscle issue? Hopefully not skeletal. Maybe you just tweaked it the wrong way without realizing it. Do you need a good lawyer? Seriously, I hope all is well.

master detailer
02-16-2011, 07:35 PM
lol dude are you that cheap that you cant go to see a doctor

Bates Detailing
02-16-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm not a doctor and havent played one on tv yet. Yikes. Maybe its just a muscle issue? Hopefully not skeletal. Maybe you just tweaked it the wrong way without realizing it. Do you need a good lawyer? Seriously, I hope all is well.

Well, I've torn ligaments training, my knees constantly pop, I've dislocated my floating rib training, broken my hand, and now it seems a couple of years later I'm feeling the aftermath of putting my body through hell for 3 years. I'm 27 and this crap is already happening.... if it is muscle tissue can that heal itself, or is that a surgery type deal? Someone told me once about something used for lubing joints - can't remember what it was but what do you recommend for that - or anything else to make a jacked up body heal itself quicker?

A lawyer? To sue my own company lol?!?!?

Bates Detailing
02-16-2011, 07:43 PM
lol dude are you that cheap that you cant go to see a doctor

1- why not get an opinion first - most of us on here try to help each other..... so whats the harm in asking?
2- What do you care? Why even take the time to make a smart comment - good luck with life man :dblthumb2:

Porsche Pilot
02-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Way too young for all those pains. Wait till you get my age (41). Maybe all of those years of training have caused a carpal tunnel like syndrome? Shock loading your forearm muscles repeatedly cant be a good thing long term I imagine. I have heard Gluclosomine is good for the joints...I give it to my dogs but there are human ones. I can tell you this, I wouldnt be hefting a polisher around till I felt better, but, no buff no pay. I think you just smacked a nerve and it should be better in a few days. Trying to be optimistic.

Flash Gordon
02-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Get use to it. If you work in this field you can plan on your wrist, back, knees and hearing to start failing you

embolism
02-16-2011, 08:02 PM
People take glucosamine or chondroitin sulfate which has shark cartilage in it for joint pains. Costco sells pills and liquid form (in Canada it is the Wellese brand).

I saw the stuff in one form or another at every one of my friends houses (we're 10 years older than you but MMA training has probably aged your body prematurely) and started asking questions...

Scott DeBrun
02-16-2011, 08:03 PM
If the pain is in half of your middle finger, index and thumb you have carpal tunnel more than likely. With you training and your profession I would go see a doctor about it. Also if it hurts your hand to crush a beer or soda can then it probably carpal tunnel. It would be best to go see your doctor and he will probably recommend you to a professional. If it is carpal and you decide to get it fixed you will be out of work for about 6 weeks and don't push the rehab because you will regret it. Hopefully it's just a sore muscle or cramping from dehydration. Good luck.

Bates Detailing
02-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Way too young for all those pains. Wait till you get my age (41). Maybe all of those years of training have caused a carpal tunnel like syndrome? Shock loading your forearm muscles repeatedly cant be a good thing long term I imagine. I have heard Gluclosomine is good for the joints...I give it to my dogs but there are human ones. I can tell you this, I wouldnt be hefting a polisher around till I felt better, but, no buff no pay. I think you just smacked a nerve and it should be better in a few days. Trying to be optimistic.

That's what it is called - this other guy swore by it. May take tomorrow off.... have another bus to do but there is no hurry for it. Thanx for your help man!

Get use to it. If you work in this field you can plan on your wrist, back, knees and hearing to start failing you

What happened with chess Flash? I know I need to get used to it...... just worried it is a bit more serious than a little pain - not a good feeling being on a ladder holding a cyclo and your wrist feeling like it wants to give.....

Bates Detailing
02-16-2011, 08:13 PM
People take glucosamine or chondroitin sulfate which has shark cartilage in it for joint pains. Costco sells pills and liquid form (in Canada it is the Wellese brand).

I saw the stuff in one form or another at every one of my friends houses (we're 10 years older than you but MMA training has probably aged your body prematurely) and started asking questions...

Yeah this guy swore up and down that it was good stuff - he said you have to take it even when your joints start feeling better too or it will wear off. I think it may be a good investment though.

If the pain is in half of your middle finger, index and thumb you have carpal tunnel more than likely. With you training and your profession I would go see a doctor about it. Also if it hurts your hand to crush a beer or soda can then it probably carpal tunnel. It would be best to go see your doctor and he will probably recommend you to a professional. If it is carpal and you decide to get it fixed you will be out of work for about 6 weeks and don't push the rehab because you will regret it. Hopefully it's just a sore muscle or cramping from dehydration. Good luck.

Wow - Crazy ways to see if its carpal tunnel.... after today I may test that beer crushing technique. Thanx for the write-up.... good info here.

Scott DeBrun
02-16-2011, 08:16 PM
B it sounds like carpal tunnel. The pain and weakness is from the nerve being pinched in the carpal tunnel which resides in the underside middle of your wrist. The carpal tunnel is the actual tunnel that the nerve resides in. Unfortunately I have had carpal and ulna nerve repostion done in both arms. I hope it's just carpal that's not too bad of a procedure.

Scott DeBrun
02-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Not a problem on the write up B hang in there and if it is carpal you will have to adjust your routine a little and pay close attention to how you use the wrist.

Bates Detailing
02-16-2011, 08:27 PM
B it sounds like carpal tunnel. The pain and weakness is from the nerve being pinched in the carpal tunnel which resides in the underside middle of your wrist. The carpal tunnel is the actual tunnel that the nerve resides in. Unfortunately I have had carpal and ulna nerve repostion done in both arms. I hope it's just carpal that's not too bad of a procedure.

How bad did it get for you before you decided to have surgery?

Scott DeBrun
02-16-2011, 08:31 PM
How bad did it get for you before you decided to have surgery?
I couldn't crush a pepsi can half way without dropping it on the floor because of the pain. Of course landscaping our entire yard and slamming a steel shovel into the NC red clay and rocks didn't help.:nomore:That's why I took detailing back up it's alot easier on me than piledriving a steel shovel.