PDA

View Full Version : Nikon?

jimmyjam
02-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Is the nikon D3100 worth 699.99? Costco has them on sale regular price 899.99... If so can someone post sample pics?

AeroCleanse
02-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Is the nikon D3100 worth 699.99? Costco has them on sale regular price 899.99... If so can someone post sample pics?

More info that you can shake a stick at: Nikon D3100 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3100/)

sspudnick
02-15-2011, 04:15 PM
This is my other hobby. Also shot for the Army when I was in a few years ago.

The 3100 is a great camera (i'm a Nikon freak) but it is, afterall, an entry level camera. It will have its downfalls, and if you're interested in lens upgrades, that might be something you want to look into before you buy; it will only AF with AF-S and AF-I lenses which is a big deal if you really get into it. Its body is plastic as well, compared to the mid-level to high end models, which have a rubber and heavy plastic body.

Not sure if this model weather seals, but if you plan to shoot in the elements, take that into consideration as well.

I always look at the D90 for beginners that are serious enough to stick with it, mainly so they wont have to spend that much more getting a more advanced camera down the road.

Either way, Nikons are fantastic cameras and you'll have a blast. The options are almost endless. Show us some work when you get it!

RaskyR1
02-15-2011, 04:32 PM
I think it's $579 at Amazon....

Amazon.com: Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZYF3LO/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

FastZR1
02-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Yep- I started with the D90 when I first got into photography. We've discussed this before but you can't go wrong with the D90 if you're serious and you have a little extra coin. Anyway you go, it's all expensive once you start getting different lenses, filters, cases, ect.

sspudnick
02-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Yep- I started with the D90 when I first got into photography. We've discussed this before but you can't go wrong with the D90 if you're serious and you have a little extra coin. Anyway you go, it's all expensive once you start getting different lenses, filters, cases, ect.

Exactly. Which is why I said if this is something you could see yourself getting obsessive about (like detailing for a lot of us) go ahead and go with the D90 at least. Less limitations on lenses, and a greater amount of accessories...plus...they can take a BEATING, lol. I've seen a D200 (D90 is based on this model) take a bullet in Iraq, and keep shooting! You'd be amazed at what those things can endure.

You should NEVER have to depend on it for great shots, but if you're not familiar with photoshop, that's another great investment to spice things up once you get bored with stills, and B&W's.

Bleh, dont get me started, this thread could get long! lol. I'd have to say i love photography more than any other hobby I have...

jjkacz
02-15-2011, 09:34 PM
If you are interested in the D3100 check out Ken Rockwell's review. Nikon D3100 (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3100.htm)
He liked it for the most part. I bought a D90 about a year ago. Since then it has been replaced with the D7000. So if you are thinking of getting more serious with photography, check out the D7000.
Here is the link for that one.
Nikon D7000 (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000.htm)

jimmyjam
02-16-2011, 05:25 AM

Exactly. Which is why I said if this is something you could see yourself getting obsessive about (like detailing for a lot of us) go ahead and go with the D90 at least. Less limitations on lenses, and a greater amount of accessories...plus...they can take a BEATING, lol. I've seen a D200 (D90 is based on this model) take a bullet in Iraq, and keep shooting! You'd be amazed at what those things can endure.

You should NEVER have to depend on it for great shots, but if you're not familiar with photoshop, that's another great investment to spice things up once you get bored with stills, and B&W's.

Bleh, dont get me started, this thread could get long! lol. I'd have to say i love photography more than any other hobby I have...

What's the price on the D90??

sspudnick
02-16-2011, 08:16 AM
What's the price on the D90??

The body alone is usually around $700. There are kits from the $800-$1800 range with different accessories and lenses.

Look for a local photography store. They usually sell used equipment that you know will work.

Once you know what to look for, craigslist is a great source. Always ask to try whatever you're buying first, and do your research. There are MANY different lenses made throughout the years, and you wanna make sure what you're buying is right for your setup.

May I ask what you're going to be using the camera for mainly ?

pr3rak77
02-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Got the D90 as well, love it.

But if you are still looking for deals on the d3100,

Slickdeals Abes of Maine Deals, Coupons and Promos: Nikon D3100 14 MP DSLR Camera w/ 18-55mm VR Image Stabilization Lens + Nikon DSLR Camera Bag & DVD Set (02/06/11 2:45pm) (http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/46529/abes-of-maine-nikon-d3100-14-mp-dslr-camera-w-1855mm-vr-image-stabilization-lens-nikon-dslr-camera-bag-dvd-set)

Bunky
02-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Since then it has been replaced with the D7000. So if you are thinking of getting more serious with photography, check out the D7000.
[/url]

Nikon has not withdrawn the D90 yet. The D7000 sits between the D90 and D300s price-wise.

jimmyjam
02-17-2011, 06:11 AM
The body alone is usually around $700. There are kits from the $800-$1800 range with different accessories and lenses.

Look for a local photography store. They usually sell used equipment that you know will work.

Once you know what to look for, craigslist is a great source. Always ask to try whatever you're buying first, and do your research. There are MANY different lenses made throughout the years, and you wanna make sure what you're buying is right for your setup.

May I ask what you're going to be using the camera for mainly ?

I was in the market because I wanted to build a portfolio, and a nice camera for family pics and so forth..

jimmyjam
02-17-2011, 06:16 AM
Well it doesn't sound to good of a deal, how about the Canon Ti? I kmw Costcos has them every now and them from another thread I asked about cameras in general it got allot of positive feed back.. I started this thread because I was at Costco when I seen the Nikon with a $200 instant rebate.

sspudnick
02-17-2011, 06:57 AM
Well it doesn't sound to good of a deal, how about the Canon Ti? I kmw Costcos has them every now and them from another thread I asked about cameras in general it got allot of positive feed back.. I started this thread because I was at Costco when I seen the Nikon with a $200 instant rebate.

The Canon Ti is a great camera, it was actually my first SLR before I knew anything about photography.

It's not a Digitial Camera, it's film, so you wont get the instant results so many like, or know to retake the shot if it's bad.

Once again it's entry level, so you'll run into some of the same problems, but it's accessories are pretty cheap.

If you really want to learn photography (Technically), film is the way to go....If you're not going to put the effort into learning why things work the way the work, and what to do on the fly (shooting in manual mode) then film may be a little difficult to enjoy.

If there is a store called "Camera Exchange" in your area, you should check it out. A little arrogant, but they know their stuff, and will usually help with questions.

Good luck with your decision.

FastZR1
02-17-2011, 08:11 AM
I think JimmyJam would prefer the DSLR or SLR for what he is planning to do. I only speculate that on the previous posts he has done over the last couple months in regards to a camera search.
If you are photographing pictures of your detail work to build you business, the digital aspect will allow you to see your results instantly. You can continue to take pictures and then upload them to your computer immediately.
I also use Walgreens where I'll upload a picture to their website and they will print it within an hour and I just go pick the pictures up. I normally do this for family pictures. If you want better printed pictures, you can use a dedicated print shop, but that is all personal preference.

Good luck.