PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Question

mi77915
02-15-2011, 05:46 AM
I have a little experience with power polishers/buffers (have an old Sears orbital buffer). My plan is to purchase a new Porter Cable (or similar) dual action polisher very soon. I attended an auto detailing school for a 2-day class back in 2003. The first day of the class was all classroom, the second was “hands-on”. The class was then broken up into (2) groups, one for interior and the second for exterior. I was “put” into the interior group and never had a chance to work on the exterior.:(

My vehicle is a 2010 Ford Taurus Limited (Steel Blue metallic paint - leather interior) that I purchased new last April. I have not done anything with the finish except automatic car washes and occasional hand washings.

I presume that I would need to clay the paint, polish, and then seal it with a wax. What products would you recommend? I know, this is like the "Chevy"/"Ford" debate, sorry! :argue:

I live in the upper Midwest area of the country where there is snow this time of the year.

Thank you,

Tom

tuscarora dave
02-15-2011, 06:11 AM
From what I know of newer Ford paints, the paint on your Taurus will likely be very hard so I would recommend Meguiars M-105 and M-205 to go with your new polisher and at least 3 each of foam light cutting pad and polish pads also a smaller backing plate Maybe 3 1/2" for use with 4" pads. The more pads you can buy the better off you will be.

Fly bye
02-15-2011, 06:14 AM
The type of polish you would use, would be dependent upon the condition of your car. That said, I like the Menzerna line :xyxthumbs:

Any wax will suffice. I have waxes from Meguiars, (M26, Gold Class, Cleaner Wax and M16) Optimum, (Spray Polymer/Wax) Pinnacle, (Souveran Paste Wax) Poorboys, (Polish/Sealant, Natty's Paste Wax) and maybe some other stuff.

BobbyG
02-15-2011, 07:19 AM
Here's a list of products I use.

Car Wash: Duragloss 901,
Glass Cleaner: Meguiar's Detailer's Glass Cleaner D1200
Tires: Pinnacle Black Onyx
Wheel Cleaner: Amazing Roll-Off
Wheel Wax: DP Wheel Glaze, Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant
Compound: Menzerna Power Gloss - Orange Pad
Medium Polish: Menzerna Power Finish - White Pad
Final Polish: Menzerna PO85RD - Gray Pad
Trim: Poorboy's World Trim Restore, Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant
Liquid Sealant: Menzerna Power Lock, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, DP Poli-Coat
Liquid Wax: Collinite 845, Pinnacle Souveran,
Paste wax: Pinnacle Souveran, Pinnacle Signature Series ll, Poorboy's Natty, DP Max Wax, Wolfgang Fuzion

SeaJay's
02-15-2011, 07:53 AM
I detailed your exact car last year. No polishing was done, but the car hadn't been detailed at all.

You will definitely need to clay it. Being in the Midwest you have to deal with similar winters as we do here in New England. So, your paint will have all kinds of road grime embedded in the paint. Typically, Ford paint is harder so as Dave suggested I'd go with the M105 or Megs Ultimate Compound followed up by M205. It's a great combo and should get the results you are looking for.

As for a sealant or wax I currently use Menz Powerlock for a sealant and I have a few different waxes that are my go to's for now, Dodo Supernatural, Pinnacle Souveran, and Pinnacle XMT High Gloss 180.

mi77915
02-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Thank for all your advise!! You all have given me much to think about. This is a GREAT forum!!!!! :dblthumb2:

Thanks again,

Tom