PDA

View Full Version : How important is a foam gun to washing a car properly?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

G37
02-14-2011, 05:14 PM
I have a Glimour foam gun and use it as a presoak before washing the car using the 2 bucket method with a sheepswool mitt. I dont use it like the Pinnacle/Autogeek video shows with the foam gun in one hand and the mitt in the other washing the car. I fill the FG container with pure soap and dont dilute it I set the gun to the A 1oz per gallon and sometimes B 2oz per gallon when the car is really dirty. The first thing I do when washing my car is pre soak it with the foam gun let it dwell and then give a good rinse before starting to wash it with the mitt. My question is how effective is it using it like this? I sometimes feel I am just wasting soap and time and having all these connectors on the hose for what and if I use it full of soap not dilluting it will it strip LSP?

jpegs13
02-14-2011, 05:39 PM
My method is:
1: Hose off car
2: Foam Gun
3: Hose off again
4: Foam again
5: 2 bucket wash
6: Rinse
7: Blower to dry
8: yes I'm anal

CleanGene
02-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Foam guns are not a necessity when it comes to washing, but they can help loosen and remove some of the larger dirt particles prior to a good hand washing. I use mine followed by a high pressure rinse and my ONR wash is only slightly dirty when I'm finished. I also keep a couple concentrations of soap mixed up. One for a regular wash and the other to strip my LSP.

AeroCleanse
02-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Never used a foam gun, I don't see the need.

silverfox
02-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Once you perfect rinseless washing you will realize that you don't need suds nor foam to wash a car properly and you will do it faster too. It's about the chemicals not the foam and suds.

Irish
02-14-2011, 06:07 PM
I only ever break out the foam cannon for very bad off vehicles. Anything else I take care of with standard washing.

Do you need it? Not really. I don't need a pressure washer, 10 different wheel brushes, 6 different wash mitts, 11 car shampoos, so on and so forth, but they're all nice to have.

Grizzly
02-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Never used a foam gun, I don't see the need.

To loosen up and release heavy dirt and grime on a vehicle?

I know your a fan of ONR but it has a better chance of marring a black vehicle than a pressure & foam gun wash with the two bucket method w/grit guards.

Dont you think???

AeroCleanse
02-14-2011, 06:35 PM
To loosen up and release heavy dirt and grime on a vehicle?

I know your a fan of ONR but it has a better chance of marring a black vehicle than a pressure & foam gun wash with the two bucket method w/grit guards.

Dont you think???

Not really. Never had an issue with black cars.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-14-2011, 06:55 PM

Absolutely.

ScottB
02-14-2011, 07:06 PM
foam gun = cool presoaking

RobZ71LM7
02-14-2011, 07:30 PM
I have a foam gun, 2-bucket, DP rinseless, and DP waterless washes. They all have their place. I use the "foam gun" as a presoaker and prelubricator if the vehicle is really dirty. The foam is just a side effect that does nothing for me other than look cool. Before I ever heard of a foam gun I would shake out a solution of car wash from my mitt over a dirty panel coating it before I ever touched it. The foam gun is a just a quick way of doing the same for me.

G37
02-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Everything I have read says to rinse frequently but how can you foam the whole car then proceed to the 2 bucket method and do the whole car then finally rinse meanwhile not getting any water spots or the original foam streaking?

Hopefully more people chime in I am really considering ditching the foam gun from my washing regimen..

fairlady350z
02-14-2011, 11:07 PM
I really don't see the need either. I give the vehicle a good rinsing before washing (2 bucket) so typically all the heavy grime comes off. I have never had an issue with inducing swirls, even on black cars with soft clear. The foam cannon does look cool, but I can think of better things to spend money on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spicy McHaggis
02-15-2011, 07:58 AM
I'm sorry, but anyone who ONLY onr's cars isn't really getting them 100% clean. Sometimes there is no replacement for an intense jet of water to get all the dirt out of the nooks and crannies.

I have a foam cannon and pressure washer now that I love. Can the job be done without them? Yes. Would I ever want to go back to doing the job without them? NO!!

Fly bye
02-15-2011, 08:03 AM
I've never used a foam gun, but I've squeezed suds (off of the paint) from a foam sponge onto the paintwork for heavy soil, that is after spraying it with a hose.