PDA

View Full Version : Issue with tire applciator

ziggo99
02-14-2011, 04:45 PM
After getting some 50 degree weather and no rain or snow in the forecast, I was able to give my car a good wash down. I had gotten some Opti Bond tire gel for Christmas so I decided to try it out. The only applicator I had was a Cobra foam tire applicator I had been using with Meg's ASD. The applicator seemed a bit stiff, but I didn't think much of it. Well, when I went to put the gel on, it seemed like I wasn't getting any on the tire and when I tried to spread it out, no dice. I'm thinking the old product has dried up inside the applicator, making it hard to evenly apply the Opti bond gel. Can I just clean the applicator, which to me would make the foam more like new and use the Opti Bond? (I pinch too many pennies/I don't have an order ready yet)

Rsurfer
02-14-2011, 04:51 PM
After getting some 50 degree weather and no rain or snow in the forecast, I was able to give my car a good wash down. I had gotten some Opti Bond tire gel for Christmas so I decided to try it out. The only applicator I had was a Cobra foam tire applicator I had been using with Meg's ASD. The applicator seemed a bit stiff, but I didn't think much of it. Well, when I went to put the gel on, it seemed like I wasn't getting any on the tire and when I tried to spread it out, no dice. I'm thinking the old product has dried up inside the applicator, making it hard to evenly apply the Opti bond gel. Can I just clean the applicator, which to me would make the foam more like new and use the Opti Bond? (I pinch too many pennies/I don't have an order ready yet)
Yep, oil and water don't mix. Just get a foam applicator to apply OBTG.

Setec Astronomy
02-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Yeah, you can try washing it...but, and I know this is heresy, but there ARE other places you can get applicators if you're not ready to order from Autogeek. You should be able to get some sort of applicators at Wal-Mart or Target and you should be able to get some Eagle One Tire Swipes at Pep Boys or someplace like that.

ziggo99
02-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Usually the only ones they care are microfiber tire applicators. I'll look again tho. And the foam ones they do have have the plastic hand guard, which falls off after a couple of uses. I'd rather buy something quality.

Setec Astronomy
02-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Well, then wash the applicator you have if you like that one.

TLMitchell
02-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Usually the only ones they care are microfiber tire applicators. I'll look again tho. And the foam ones they do have have the plastic hand guard, which falls off after a couple of uses. I'd rather buy something quality.

I actually prefer MF applicators for OBTG. Uses more product but I get a more even application and use the flip-side to remove excess for the matte finish I prefer. YMMV.

TL

Rsurfer
02-16-2011, 03:06 PM
I actually prefer MF applicators for OBTG. Uses more product but I get a more even application and use the flip-side to remove excess for the matte finish I prefer. YMMV.

TL
If you like a matte finish like I do..get the No Mess applicator and after the first set of tires just store the applicator in the plastic box face down and the next time you won't need any OBTG as there is still enough product to do the 4 tires and get a nice matte finish.