PDA

View Full Version : Major bummer.....

Pages : [1] 2 3

mcpp66
02-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Well, it looks like what I thought was going to be the Z28 is not to be. Chevy's going to release a new ZL1 Camaro instead. Now of course that's not my problem. From what I'm seeing it looks like they're only going to release it with a manual transmission. I'm sure you'll all laugh at me when I say that I don't know how to drive a standard. Looks like I'm going to have to learn from someone. Anyhow, google 2012 ZL1 Camaro and you'll see the car. It's one awesome looking car.

tuscarora dave
02-14-2011, 06:15 AM
I learned how to drive a standard after being dropped off at the place where I bought my first vehicle. The guy who sold it to me and I put a clutch and pressure plate in it and then he showed me which gear was which (3 speed on the column) and if I wanted to get home with it, I had to learn on the fly. I stalled the engine maybe 3 times and twice had to jump out in traffic to unjam the rods going from the steering column to the transmission.:doh: I'll never forget that day or how to drive a stick. Necessity was definitely the mother of invention that day.

Matt
02-14-2011, 07:27 AM
O wow it's beautiful! I love Camaros! As the HSV slogan says "I just want one"

There is nothing like driving a manual. So much more fun. There are those days where you hop in the car and a manual just makes it that much more fun! Always something to look forward to over an automatic, from perfecting half clutch launches to get the perfect take off. With a manual, your launch can win you a drag, or lose it!

DLB
02-14-2011, 07:35 AM
While not as painful as Dave's adventure, mine was similar.

I bought a Jeep from a guy and it was a 5-Speed. My dad put me in the driver seat and said, alright, let's go home. A few times stalling, and a few horn honks, and I was on my way to being a master.

Have only had 1 other stick since then, but they aren't too bad. For daily drivers though, I still prefer auto's.

As far as the ZL1, cool beans. Another old production code making its way back in.

DLB

BobbyG
02-14-2011, 07:38 AM
The new Camaro's are gorgeous..along with the Challenger and Mustang. If I had the room and of course some extra cash they'd look great in my garage...

If it wasn't for last years Autogeek expenditures I probably could afford all three! :laughing:

Spicy McHaggis
02-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Why would you want a car like this in an automatic? Just as easy to learn to drive stick and then you get all the benefits of a stick. I too bought a manual car when I was 16 without knowing how to drive it. A couple trips around the block and I could do it well enough to get around. After about a week of driving it everyday it was simple.

Now I have a manual weekend car and an auto daily driver since there is so much stop and go traffic around here.

BobbyG
02-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Why not just learn how to drive manual? I too bought a manual car when I was 16 without knowing how to drive it. A couple trips around the block and I could do it well enough to get around. After about a week of driving it everyday it was simple.

:iagree: And it is as simple as this... :props:

There is no mystery to driving a manual transmission....

Finemess
02-14-2011, 07:56 AM
66 do you have a cemetery nearby? Great place to learn a stick. Not many cars and not much honking and some have hills to practice on. Dude, I wish a 5 speed was the only thing stopping me from getting a new Camaro.

jpegs13
02-14-2011, 08:06 AM
I worked in construction when I was 16, the foreman asked me if I knew how to drive a standard, I said sure. He gave me a truck, it bucked all the way to the site. He just laughed and said "you'll learn"

silverfox
02-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Don't fret...you just saved yourself about $48k....

reality33
02-14-2011, 08:49 AM
I wish more companies would put manual transmissions in there cars/trucks here in the states. I have never owned an automatic, because I just love being in complete control of the car. I think its awesome Chevy is doing this. I wish The challenger SRT8 had a manual option.

They are easy to learn. Just find a friend who has one and ask if you can practice with the car in a parking lot or something. You will pick it up in no time.

Spicy McHaggis
02-14-2011, 09:08 AM
I wish more companies would put manual transmissions in there cars/trucks here in the states. I have never owned an automatic, because I just love being in complete control of the car. I think its awesome Chevy is doing this. I wish The challenger SRT8 had a manual option.

They are easy to learn. Just find a friend who has one and ask if you can practice with the car in a parking lot or something. You will pick it up in no time.
I agree, the Charger SRT 8 is on the top of my list for my next vehicle, but it will only have an automatic in it. I haven't decided if I will just put up with it or get something else. I love everything else about the car except for that one thing, but it is a big thing. I might cave and get it just because my fiance can't drive stick either so this way she could drive my car if she ever needed to.

vet
02-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Stick shifts aren't that hard to learn. Like some else said, go to a place where you can be by yourself and practice with it. The biggest thing will be trying to start moving while on a hill, but after a while, you'll get the hang of it.

A neighboring town (way back when) had a '66 Chevelle SS with a four speed for a Driver Ed car! I actually think they ought to teach stick shift to people in driver ed. Also how to change a tire, check the oil, etc.

mcpp66
02-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Why would you want a car like this in an automatic? Just as easy to learn to drive stick and then you get all the benefits of a stick. I too bought a manual car when I was 16 without knowing how to drive it. A couple trips around the block and I could do it well enough to get around. After about a week of driving it everyday it was simple.

Now I have a manual weekend car and an auto daily driver since there is so much stop and go traffic around here.

I've never driven a standard but I've seen others drive one. It just seems like a pain in the, well you know. I like just putting my hands on the wheel, putting it in drive, and then just going. With a stick I'd have to concentrate on more things than I think I'd care to. I don't know, perhaps after learning maybe I'd enjoy it. The problem I have is that everyone I know drives an automatic, I may have to go to a driving school to learn how to drive a stick.

mcpp66
02-14-2011, 10:24 AM
For daily drivers though, I still prefer auto's.

As far as the ZL1, cool beans. Another old production code making its way back in.

DLB

For a daily driver I'll definitely stick with an automatic, but for this car I may just learn how to drive a stick.