PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Paint Chips- Need Help!

BigWhiteTheBoss
02-12-2011, 06:10 PM
What is the best way to fix paint chips in a metallic blue paintjob? Is there a way to completely fill/cover them, without it being noticeable ?

I have looked at a few products, the Paint Chip Dr or whatever it's called on this website, and Langka Paint chip repair kit?

Any opinions, or reviews on these products would be very much appreciated!

Porsche Pilot
02-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Dr Color Chip is a great product and they will be at Detail Fest.

93fox
02-12-2011, 08:46 PM
What is the best way to fix paint chips in a metallic blue paintjob? Is there a way to completely fill/cover them, without it being noticeable ?

I have looked at a few products, the Paint Chip Dr or whatever it's called on this website, and Langka Paint chip repair kit?

Any opinions, or reviews on these products would be very much appreciated!

If you dont want it to be noticable you can give it a shot at paiting it! I know the trick to get it done right! If you are interested i can give you a detailed explanation on how to do it!

oldmodman
02-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Just remember that a metallic color is the most difficult to match.

But saying that I would suggest trying Dr Colorchip. I have seen some very decent results from using it.

fairlady350z
02-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Just remember that a metallic color is the most difficult to match.

But saying that I would suggest trying Dr Colorchip. I have seen some very decent results from using it.

I agree, I have personally used it on solid red and solid black with excellent results. However, metallics are typically harder to blend. Maybe someone on here can share their experience using it on metallic paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93fox
02-15-2011, 02:25 AM
Blending is actually pretty easy! The real hard thing to blend is a pearl, not a metallic!

rjgervacio
04-23-2011, 10:54 PM
If you dont want it to be noticable you can give it a shot at paiting it! I know the trick to get it done right! If you are interested i can give you a detailed explanation on how to do it!

Actually I have a project on my car similar to this. I would love to hear about your techniques on touch-up painting. Here's my project... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/34805-help-wet-sanding-compounding-repainting.html#post452344)

Midnight1700
04-24-2011, 12:15 AM
I use a different kit that does very well with fixing paint chips and road rash. With this kit you can match just about every paint color right on the spot. But, if you're only doing your own car the cost would be a little hard to handle. I can't mention the name because AG doesn't offer it at this time.

rsoxfan1
04-25-2011, 05:19 PM
I just used the Dr. Colorchip on my car i wasn't expecting much, but to my surprise it worked very well.. I would give it a 7 out of 10.. which isnt to bad considering it's pretty cheap..

rjgervacio
05-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Blending is actually pretty easy! The real hard thing to blend is a pearl, not a metallic!

Why do you say that pearl harder to blend than metallic? I have pearl and I actually have that problem right now: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/35820-need-help-blending-paint.html#post466082

LegacyGT
05-13-2011, 09:34 AM
If you really want to completely fill in the chips, the best method I have seen involves applying a tiny dot with a toothpick, then covering with a cup so dust does not settle in, and repeating this process every hour until the chip is slightly above the rest of the paint. After it cures for a few days, wet sand it flush, and polish the area back out.

If it is OK to still have the depth of the chip, but the color filled in so that it is not noticeable except for up close, Dr. Color Chip is a good way to go. You can see my review / experience with the system here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/35748-epic-review-2006-subaru-spring-detail.html