PDA

View Full Version : Which products for my review?

Pages : [1] 2

tuscarora dave
02-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Some time ago I won the Lake Country One Pad System on another detailing discussion forum. Since AGO has become my home away from home in the past year, I decided to do a group conscience of sorts as to which products that you members would like to see reviewed along with the One Pad System.

OK so here's the deal, I get the car at or around 1:45 PM this afternoon. It is a black 1993 Mazda Miata that hasn't been washed in a year and is very heavily swirled by a hack detailer's rotary and wool pad. In addition to the "Rocks in a bottle bandit's" mess, there are a ton of swirls & marring from bad wash technique and general neglect.

I am unsure as of now, whether it's single stage or base coat clear coat paint. I'll outline 4 product packages below in which I'm thinking of using and let you guys/gals choose which combination of products that you would rather see reviewed. I'll number the product combination packages 1., 2., 3. and 4. Which ever number gets the most votes by 1:30 PM today will be the package that I will use. This should be fun.

The plan is to wash and clay the car and to do a 50/50 section on the hood today(across the width of the car) and then finish the detail tomorrow. This will be an exterior only detail and it will be a 3 step paint correction using my Makita rotary only, with the 3 pads supplied in the "One Pad System" Package plus hand applied LSP application which will be Collinite #845. So here's the 4 packages to choose from.

1. Poorboy's World SSR 2.5 on orange pad.
Poorboy's World SSR 2 on white pad.
Poorboy's World SSR 1 on gray pad.

2. Meg's M-105 on orange pad.
Meg's M-205 on white pad.
Optimum Finish on gray pad.

3. Mothers Machine Glaze on orange pad.
Mothers Foam Pad Polish on white pad.
Poorboy's World Pro Polish (Original version) on gray pad.

4. Optimum Compound 2 on orange pad.
Optimum Polish 2 on white pad.
Optimum Finish on gray pad.

Jons6.7
02-12-2011, 11:43 AM
I would be interested in any other than 2, we know all about how good they work so lets see how the others work.

I would put down 4 for me.

tuscarora dave
02-12-2011, 11:52 AM
I would be interested in any other than 2, we know all about how good they work so lets see how the others work.

I would put down 4 for me.
Thanks, I was beginning to think nobody liked me.:)
I was thinking sort of the same thing. The Poorboy's package is just so incredibly nice & easy to work with.

As you have stated, we all know about M-105 M-205.

Mothers don't get much play time here so that could be interesting.

Optimum is one product line that I haven't done too much with yet.

C. Charles Hahn
02-12-2011, 12:20 PM
I look at it two ways: one, the Meguiar's twins are such a known commodity that they are a "constant" in the equation, as is your Makita rotary. That makes the only "variable" in your testing the new backing plate and pads, which is what you are out to test.

So if you use them, it makes it easier for you to focus your impression of the process and results on the pad system instead of having to say "well this worked really easy but since I don't have much experience with x product I don't know if my results are because of the product or the pad"

Just my $0.02.

tuscarora dave
02-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Well the owner of the Miata just called, looks like we will be doing the entire job tomorrow and of course while the temperatures will be rising for tomorrow the clouds are rolling in tonight so the 50/50 pictures will be under an overcast sky.:doh:

tuscarora dave
02-12-2011, 12:25 PM
I look at it two ways: one, the Meguiar's twins are such a known commodity that they are a "constant" in the equation, as is your Makita rotary. That makes the only "variable" in your testing the new backing plate and pads, which is what you are out to test.

So if you use them, it makes it easier for you to focus your impression of the process and results on the pad system instead of having to say "well this worked really easy but since I don't have much experience with x product I don't know if my results are because of the product or the pad"

Just my $0.02.
Good thoughts, thanks for sharing them. I had actually thought the same thing.

70Runner
02-12-2011, 12:28 PM
I would like to see the results of option #4 Optimum Products :buffing:

tuscarora dave
02-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks for your vote, being that we will now be doing this project tomorrow I will tally all the votes tomorrow over my morning coffee.

Lasthope05
02-12-2011, 02:00 PM
I would be much more interested in the Mothers combo. As you have already stated, Mothers does not receive a lot of air time and there has not been any really reviews on their professional line. Everybody knows of the Megs combo and there are already a ton of reviews on Poorboys and Optimum.

kronos
02-12-2011, 02:08 PM
I would be much more interested in the Mothers combo. As you have already stated, Mothers does not receive a lot of air time and there has not been any really reviews on their professional line. Everybody knows of the Megs combo and there are already a ton of reviews on Poorboys and Optimum.

Another vote for a Mother's test. Thanks for including us Dave. :props:

Dr Oldz
02-12-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm gonna vote for whatever number you use most! This way u know what to expect from the polishes and can determine if the pad system is benifiting or hindering your normal polish process. Just my opinion tho!

Lasthope05
02-12-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm gonna vote for whatever number you use most! This way u know what to expect from the polishes and can determine if the pad system is benifiting or hindering your normal polish process. Just my opinion tho!

I personally feel this is going to be more of a review on the polishes then the pads as the 1-Pad system still uses the same foam material as its other pads. The only variable difference here is going to be the flexible backing plate. Other then that, what ever the user likes about the new system would just be personal preference.

tuscarora dave
02-12-2011, 05:54 PM
I personally feel this is going to be more of a review on the polishes then the pads as the 1-Pad system still uses the same foam material as its other pads. The only variable difference here is going to be the flexible backing plate. Other then that, what ever the user likes about the new system would just be personal preference.
I agree with your thoughts on this. I really think that I will be wishing that I was using my VC pads from Poorboy's tomorrow. Hey maybe there will be something special about these that turns me to them for a regular choice in pads. Who knows?

dad07
02-12-2011, 06:04 PM
I agree with Shiney and Dr Olds use what you use the most. :xyxthumbs:

tuscarora dave
02-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Bump for the night owls.