PDA

View Full Version : Best polish for Mercedes Benz car

daves120
02-11-2011, 10:45 PM
I have two Mercedes Benz cars waiting on full details and am wondering would be the best polish for the paint. One car is several years old and is not garaged. This car is a light color. The other car is fairly new (1-2 years old) and is garaged at night. This is a black car.

Currently I am using the Griot's 6 and 3 inch buffers with CCS pads. My next buffer will either be a Flex 3401 or the Makita 9227. So far there is only Optimum compounds and polishes on my shelf.

However, I am hearing quite a bit about the hard clear coats and want to know if I can continue utilizing Optimum products or should I switch to the Mezerna product line.

Any and all opinions are welcome including instructions on pad choice and corresponding polish.

Feed back please

BobbyG
02-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Hi Dave,

I think the first thing you should do it give a try with what you have on hand.

Optimum products work really well and I wouldn't hesitate to use them on your Mercedes. You mentioned you have CCS pads but not which ones. Pad selection is an important factor when using these products.

Optimum Compound

Use a wool or foam compounding pad with a rotary buffer at 1300-1600 RPM. Optimum Hyper Compound Spray can also be used on an orbital polisher with excellent results.
If using a dual action polisher use an orange pad at a speed setting of 5.
Use one to two sprays per 2 ft. area. You can spray the pad or the car panel. There is no need to apply additional product because Optimum Hyper Compound Spray has a long working time.
Use light to medium pressure on the buffer until desired results are achieved.
Wipe off residue with a dampened microfiber towel.

Optimum Polish

Use a polishing foam pad with a rotary buffer at 1200-1600 RPM. Optimum Hyper Polish Spray can also be used on an orbital polisher with the pad of your choice.
With a dual action polisher start off using Optimum Hyper Polish Spray with a white pad at a speed setting of 5. Next, try the same settings only switching the white pad for a gray one.
Use one to two sprays per 2 ft. area. You can spray the pad or the car panel. There is no need to apply additional product because Optimum Hyper Polish Spray has a long working time.
Use light to medium pressure on the buffer until desired results are achieved.
Wipe off residue with a dampened microfiber towel.

Flash Gordon
02-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Menzerna is what the factory uses. Of course, they are also responsible for 90% of the hacked up rides you see

I would go with the Meg Twins :buffing:

ScottB
02-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Menzerna .... but what else did you expect from me ???

Wendell Jarvis
02-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Menzerna .... but what else did you expect from me ???

Definetly Menzerna !!!!!!!!!!!!

BobbyG
02-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Menzerna products are my all time favorite but since you have both Optimum products doesn't it make sense start with them first?

fredcandetail
02-12-2011, 10:54 AM
105/205/21/26 this works for me on about 90% of all corrections with out fail ... when i run into delicate paint i take out my secret soy sauce that i call the FC METHOD and finesse it.
the FC METHOD is 2oz 105 + 8oz 205... gives a little more cut to 205 without all the powdery residue and finishes like a champ on the 9227 with a polishing pad

daves120
02-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Which Mezerna products would you recommend? There is quite a selection and I would prefer to use two maybe three steps.

Also, the 6.5 inch CCS pads currently in my arsenal are: yellow (3), orange (8), white (8), red (8), blue(1), and gold (2). I plan on trying the HT cyan and tangerine pads as well as CCS gray.

Does anyone have a preference of blue or gray when applying the final polish?

Bobby B.
02-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover & Finishing Glaze and the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish & Super Finish (Nano) work awesome on Mercedes paint.

BobbyG
02-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Pay attention to the amount of cut for each product.

Compound: Menzerna Power Gloss, Yellow and Orange Pad
Medium Polish: Menzerna Power Finish, Orange and White Pad
Final Polish: Menzerna PO85RD, Gray Pad

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/MenzernaProducts.jpg

ShaunD
02-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Take this for what is worth considering I have never used Menzerna on a Euro car, and have not tried the Optimum products yet. I used a sample packet of Menz Power Gloss(S34A) on a few spots on my 2001 Chevy S10, Metallic Pewter, after wet sanding, and I was very impressed with the clarity and gloss that was produced from a compound. There is far less polishing required compared to other compounds. Just recently I bought a bottle of the Power Gloss and just for fun I grabbed an old orange cutting pad, folded it in half, and hand polished a scratch on the side of my hood that I didn't wet sand. Just by hand it turned a fairly deep clear coat scratch into a barely visible blemish. I can't wait 'til I do the rest of that half of the hood with my 7424. I won't need to wet sand that side at all the way Power Gloss works. There is going to be more dusting w/ the Menzerna compound than the rest of their polishing products. But it is very fine and cleans up like a dusting of baby powder would. Work with what you have, but if there are any deep spots when you are done, Menzerna won't let you down. I don't think you would need more than a very light polish even after the Power Gloss. If you used a lighter Menz polish to start you could probably finish it with the CCS Blue and then finesse/wax. The power gloss, probably the CCS white and then your red pad. It just depends on the results you are trying to achieve. With the black car you will probably want to do three steps so you have no chance of a haze. But, with any light color you can get by with just two pads probably be completely satisfied. This is all my HO, and you always have to go with works for you and the warm and fuzzy feeling you get from the results of whatever you choose to use.:)

slimnib
02-12-2011, 03:25 PM
I tried every thing on the two MB's I own . Nothing works great with a DA- I think that you need a Rotary to do a really good job on a MB. The paint is impossible.

mxfly
02-12-2011, 07:34 PM
I tried every thing on the two MB's I own . Nothing works great with a DA- I think that you need a Rotary to do a really good job on a MB. The paint is impossible.

What kind of DA do you have. I've used a DA with forced rotation and have corrected a late Merc quite effectively.

billbillw
02-13-2011, 11:39 PM

I've been pretty impressed with the results I've gotten on my 2007 MB using the PC 7424xp and the Meguiars M105/M205 combo. Orange pad for the 105, white for the 205. It has taken out all the swirls and most of the deeper scratches. Its not a fast process though. I spent about 5 hours today and only corrected the trunk, hood and roof. I'm a newb though, so probably slower than most.

jimmyjam
02-14-2011, 02:15 AM
M105, M205, Menzerna 85, & Flex3401...Bulletproof!