PDA

View Full Version : Storage/Shelving?

ALLN1WASH
02-11-2011, 12:50 AM
Whats up AG?
I posted a thread a few months ago in reference to the set-up for my "new to Me" Astro van for mobile purposes. I got a bit of feed back (thanks Miranda) and pretty much have the main things in place and functioning well ( tank, PW, generator, air compressor). My current issue lies with the storage of all of my chemicals. Im currently using four milk crates to hold everything but Im fed up with them turning over/spilling everytime I'm out.

I've removed all the vans original shelving to make room for everything else. Currently the entire upper half of the passenger wall and two rear doors are available for storage purposes.

My ? is,
1st) what are you all using for storage purposes?
2nd) how do you all suggest I go about tackling this issue? ( build shelving/plastic bins/netting, idk?

Please help me out Fellas.... Feed back please

bimmer325!
02-11-2011, 01:00 AM
obviously..there are alot of options and ways to go..but my experience with "vans" is that when you start loading too much on the side walls they seem "top heavy" and "unbalanced" as you drive to and from. I think you should start with keeping the crates...and put all your wax's in one, polish in another, wash soap in another, tire stuff in another...etc.. Not only is it really orginized that way, but it will keep the bulk "weight" low to the floor. Also, using crates will alow you to "stack" em and allow a positive "lock" in doing so as they mate to each other. I would then use the sides for lighter stuff...brushes, hoses, cords etc... Just my input.

Bates Detailing
02-11-2011, 01:02 AM
I use heavy duty plastic bins - and if need be I will use some bungee cords to hold them in..... Never had a problem with this lol!!!! Maybe you are driving WAY to fast!!!!

(100% Mobile here)

ALLN1WASH
02-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas.
I guess I could've written my ? a bit better, but what I was looking for was a way to store my spray bottles. I try my best to leave the shop with only only enough to make it through the day, meaning I leave all the gallons and 5 gallon buckets in the shop. I did a little browsing and found exactly what I was looking for and this is going to be CHEAP!

Saw a Set-up on another forum and these guys were using shoe holders and they seem to work fine. So although its 1am, Im headed to Wally World to get them now.

Thanks fellas,

Bates Detailing
02-11-2011, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas.
I guess I could've written my ? a bit better, but what I was looking for was a way to store my spray bottles. I try my best to leave the shop with only only enough to make it through the day, meaning I leave all the gallons and 5 gallon buckets in the shop. I did a little browsing and found exactly what I was looking for and this is going to be CHEAP!

Saw a Set-up on another forum and these guys were using shoe holders and they seem to work fine. So although its 1am, Im headed to Wally World to get them now.

Thanks fellas,

Being that I am 100 % Mobile - I wouldn't leave the shop without being 100% prepared for anything..... that is my one and only advice - - - - - - I have done it a few times and realized that it has costed me quite a bit in not only gas, but man hours as well!!!! Very good idea to have MORE THAN ENOUGH when being mobile!!!

ALLN1WASH
02-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Being that I am 100 % Mobile - I wouldn't leave the shop without being 100% prepared for anything..... that is my one and only advice - - - - - - I have done it a few times and realized that it has costed me quite a bit in not only gas, but man hours as well!!!! Very good idea to have MORE THAN ENOUGH when being mobile!!!

:iagree:I absolutely agree. I'd never leave without everything I need. Each and every bottle is topped off prior to rolling out and I don't know about you all, but for me at least , there is just not enough time in a day to use an entire bottle of anything.

Bates Detailing
02-11-2011, 02:55 AM
:iagree:I absolutely agree. I'd never leave without everything I need. Each and every bottle is topped off prior to rolling out and I don't know about you all, but for me at least , there is just not enough time in a day to use an entire bottle of anything.

I can Semi - agree lol.......... I use Ecowash on my fleets - and I can go through a bottle pretty quick (after say 15 to 20 cars) - but my main reasoning for saying this is because many time I go out and think ..."These are basic jobs, and basic jobs only!" But, I go out to a customer's place and they ask me to remove this scratch and that spot - and improve this and work on that...... to the point that I just go ahead and fill my truck with every possible remedy to every possible problem! Just my opinion though?!?!?!?!

Black Car
02-11-2011, 09:17 AM
I use heavy duty velcro for boxes with things like microfibers and brushes. It doesnt slide around when i drive and very easy to remove. I use the Rubbermaid storage bins (shallow so i can find my stuff easy) they are very sturdy and have great locking handles on the top.

This is just in my car, i don't have a van yet. Maybe next year.

ALLN1WASH
02-11-2011, 09:32 AM
You know, I never thought about using Velcro, great idea. I can already think of two places I can use it now. I may be heading to HD soon.
Thanks My Man.

Meghan
02-11-2011, 12:26 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/26120-ok-show-me-your-mobile-detail-rig.html

We need to get some more photos of everyone's so you can all get some ideas from each other.

mdb917
02-11-2011, 05:04 PM
I have a simple solution....send me that Flex you just won and that'll free up space :laughing:.

ALLN1WASH
02-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Man, you are hilarious, seriously. I think I'll just leave my tank at home and bring the polisher instead.