PDA

View Full Version : Interested in Selling/Installing Clear Bra's

Pages : [1] 2

Josh@BR
02-10-2011, 06:04 PM
So I get asked a lot if I sell/install clear bra's and unfortunately I don't right now. I've done some research and clear bra's arent the hardest thing in the world to install and some kits are very cheap. I'm looking to sell/install clear bra's in the most cost effective and profitable way. A few questions I have are:

-Should I buy pre-cut films or just a whole roll of film and custom cut everything?

-Where would be the best place to buy the film?

-Are there any down sides to offering this?

-Antying else I should know or consider with doing this?

Thank you in advance and I appreciate any info you could provide.

rwright
02-10-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm looking into this as well. I'm not a fan of the pre-cut kits because they don't cover the entire area and just looks sloppy. I would buy the roll and do custom installation. I actually found a training location in Maryland that I will be attending. PM me for more info.

Bates Detailing
02-10-2011, 06:11 PM
I've seen a horror story or two on here about the clear bra - from it cracking and stuff like that - - - - - - Don't know how long it has been around but I know I won't offer it until I know for sure it has stood the test of time (couple of years old) I personally don't want to get calls down the road saying I jacked up their hood all because of the products quality. Then again it may be great? Just my personal thoughts on it.

slickooz
02-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Yeah I seen a thread somewhere, where this guy went the cheaper route and install his own clear bra kit (non brand) from ebay. And I think he lived in FL where it can get really hot, after a couple years it melted on the paint. I forgot if he removed all of it or it messed up his paint. Still very scary, don't want any customer coming yelling at you about the clear bra.

Flash Gordon
02-10-2011, 06:35 PM
I've thought of venturing into this field, but like other things (PDR, Tint, Repairs etc...) its easier for me to sub this work out

I'm getting old. Time to work smarter, not harder ;)

Josh@BR
02-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I of course would never buy some cheap no name film and risk the long term damaging affects. I would think that 3M would be considered "top of the line" as far as clear bra's go but I wouldnt know for sure and I dont think 3M would sell a product that would damage paint like the horror story's people have seen or heard especially seeing how it's used for the opposite. A big part of doing this is the money and I have seen people install clear bra's in less than an hour and charge what I can charge for a full detail. I guess if I do get into it I'll spend the extra and get quality film. Thanks again guys!

rwright
02-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I of course would never buy some cheap no name film and risk the long term damaging affects. I would think that 3M would be considered "top of the line" as far as clear bra's go but I wouldnt know for sure and I dont think 3M would sell a product that would damage paint like the horror story's people have seen or heard especially seeing how it's used for the opposite. A big part of doing this is the money and I have seen people install clear bra's in less than an hour and charge what I can charge for a full detail. I guess if I do get into it I'll spend the extra and get quality film. Thanks again guys!

The training I spoke of is using 3M products. This is the reason I am going. :)

Kristopher1129
02-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Here's a story for ya. I ventured pretty hardcore into this field within the last year and half or so. So far, I was actually installing the kits for customers.

The installations are not hard by any means. They can be a bit tricky on certain bumpers. There's just things you need to know before diving in...like anything else really.

I was purchasing my kits through a company called VentureShield out of Mass. Which was great, cause I'm in NH. I would order the kit...and it would be there the next day. SO, one day, I go to purchase a kit for a customer. Who answers the phone? 3M!!! Yeah, 3M pretty much purchased every paint film company and made it their own.

So, I said alright...how much for a kit. They asked if I was certified. I said "certified to do what? I've been doing this for months?". They then proceeded to tell me that if I wasn't certified...I couldn't even purchase the film!!!! Apparently, you have to take a course...which is in the thousands of dollars by the way. Not only that, once you're certified...you have to maintain a particular amount of purchases per month. So, if you're not installing the amount of kits that THEY want...they revoke your certification!

There are kits on ebay and various sites...but I find the cuts to not be as good as VentureShields. So, I washed my hands of it. :bolt:

HeavyMetal
02-11-2011, 08:28 AM
We had Xpel on my wife's 2007 ES350 and we have it on her new 2011 ES. It worked extremely well. There was no cracking, hazing or yellowing to the film after 4 years, just a few stone marks that didn't go thru to the paint.

forrest@mothers
02-11-2011, 11:35 AM
We have Expel on all our cars. Considering the cost (~$500) is less than repaint of the front end, it's a no-brainer for me.

The better value as an installer is buying the bulk roll and a plotter. You download the pattern you need from the company and cut it when you need it.

I've not heard about 3M requiring you to be certified, but a company like Expel (the'yre out of San Antonio) would be a good place to start. It's all about the install quality, so expect to take some training in order to do it right.

jsgntulok
02-11-2011, 01:52 PM
I third the use of X-PEL products. Been using them since 2000 with no problems. Applied to my 05 Honda Accord in Mar 2005 and it is still in great shape. Have it on my 09 Toyota Avalon and also in great shape. There are scuffs and dings in the film on both cars but no paint damage. Also have the headlight protection on both cars and no clouding/fogging on either, especially the 05 Honda since it is the older car.

ShaunD
02-11-2011, 02:33 PM
I looked at the 3M Scotchgard film for my STi back in 05 and regretted not buying it. The damage that occurred to my front end just driving around in Florida and hurricane debris could have been prevented with about $500 for the total kit at the time. It has been test at the 24HR of LeMans and impact test with plastic bb's. I was impressed but never went through because I was being cheap. If I hadn't totaled the Subie it would have needed the whole front end repainted eventually from not having the film on there. Like you said, 3M doesn't put out products that will harm finish, and everything they sell is intensely tested before being released. Not saying Xpel isn't as good. Just haven't researched it as much. Plus the certified training that 3M offers/requires puts you a step above. You don't see that many people selling/installing 3M probably because they don't want to pay for training or what have you. Just $.02.
Wish I would have become an installer in FL because a friend of mine and his wife owned a sign/decal shop along with his motorcycle repair shop, and they had a plotter and any other equipment/software I would have needed to get started. Hind site is 20/20, right? Godspeed on your decision and venture with either product you go with.

FUNX650
02-11-2011, 02:56 PM
So I get asked a lot if I sell/install clear bra's and unfortunately I don't right now. I've done some research and clear bra's arent the hardest thing in the world to install and some kits are very cheap. I'm looking to sell/install clear bra's in the most cost effective and profitable way. A few questions I have are:

-Should I buy pre-cut films or just a whole roll of film and custom cut everything?

-Where would be the best place to buy the film?

-Are there any down sides to offering this?

-Antying else I should know or consider with doing this?

Thank you in advance and I appreciate any info you could provide.

Several responders recommend Xpel--so do I! They have a seven (7) year warranty and they pay a (certified) installer for any re-do's. Xpel PPF is the easiest, IMO, to install, maintain, and remove. Others like 3M and ClearShield offer five (5) year warrantys at best (they also do pay for re-do's for certified installers--other companies do not) and are a bear to remove.

There are six film companies in this industry that supply PPF, those being: Xpel, 3M, ClearShield, Avery, Llumar, and Venture. There are also design companies that supply pre-cut kits: Xpel, Proform, Invisible Patterns, ClearShield, Stoneguard, and Ultra-Shield. [Note: Go with the ones that are clear-coated]. Also, stay away from the cheap vinyl eBay kits--they are not PPF.

I'd advise researching the web sites of the above mentioned PPF companies for additional info; and, most of all, get certified--it makes a lasting impression on your customers that you took the time and effort to get that "paper on the wall". They'll be back for additional services--you are a professional in their eyes. [referrals=$$$$$$$]

gumball
02-14-2011, 01:51 PM
One more for Xpel.

southbeach
02-22-2011, 12:34 AM
I used to be a certified installer/dealer for VentureShield before 3m bought them out. The bumper is the hardest part of the installation. I still have the unlimited program, plotter, and film. I stop doing it due to price war. My price was $650 for car and $800 for suv/truck. There are alot of ppl doing it for $400. I just took it off of my menus and very happy I did. I save a ton of money because I rent out a warehouse next door to my car wash to perform this service and other. South Beach Auto Spa (http://www.southbeachautospa.com)