PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on using APC to clean leather??

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

WRAPT C5Z06
02-10-2011, 01:07 AM
Specifically optimum power clean at 3:1. Would there be any reason to use a leather specific cleaner instead? All leather specific cleaners I've used(wolfgang, pristine clean, Ultima interior shampoo gel) do not clean as good as OPC, IME.

builthatch
02-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Specifically optimum power clean at 3:1. Would there be any reason to use a leather specific cleaner instead? All leather specific cleaners I've used(wolfgang, pristine clean, Ultima interior shampoo gel) do not clean as good as OPC, IME.

it's fine. though 3:1 is pretty strong IMO - i guess it depends on what kind of vehicle you are working on and what it has been through. i use 10:1 if the leather has dirt in the wear creases and it seems to work well.

the only place i'd be concerned is with mid-range exotics, like older ferraris, etc, where there might have been seat repairs (using spray), such as on the bolsters. i'd be very careful with using anything but say optimum protectant plus on such areas. it's usually pretty easy to tell if it's been sprayed because either the stitching is now hide colored or the wear creases have no real color difference between the creases and the surrounding leather.

thankfully most exotics, even entry level ones, don't really have much dirt on the leather and rarely need much more than a pass or two with the protectant.

Dr Oldz
02-10-2011, 03:33 AM

Use what works for u!!!!! What do other opinions matter if u found something that u are satisfied with???? It's the reason that there are a lot of products available!!!!! I like brand x....u like brand y.......what does it matter????????????

I Shine
02-10-2011, 05:37 AM
I have had really good results using Meguiars APC plus 10:1 and a white terry cloth towel.

Once clean I go over it with a leather conditioner.

tuscarora dave
02-10-2011, 05:52 AM
I use a citrus based cleaner called Citra-Plus and a short bristled brush from PRO. I run the brush in little circles until I get to a dirt filled crease in the leather then I brush in the direction of the crease until it's clean then go back to my little circles. I have used it straight on some really nasty leather seats and they turn out like this http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/117.jpg Typically I use it 3 to 1 for leather and follow immediately with Poorboy's World Leather Stuff. No problems so far and I would venture a guess that it is a stronger cleaner than OPC.

Spicy McHaggis
02-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Nothing wrong with this, just be smart about it. Do a test spot in an inconspicuous area, and don't scrub too hard. It's eaier than you may think to remove dye from interior panels.

LuxuryMobile
02-10-2011, 09:00 AM
I use meg apc, 10:1 and have had great success.

Spicy McHaggis
02-10-2011, 09:04 AM
I want to add for leather that is not only dirty, but also stiff and cracked I always use the Leatherique system. It takes a long time, but the result are unbelievable. I do charge more for this service since generally I remove the seats and put them in my garage under a heat lamp to speed up the process.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Use what works for u!!!!! What do other opinions matter if u found something that u are satisfied with???? It's the reason that there are a lot of products available!!!!! I like brand x....u like brand y.......what does it matter????????????
It has nothing to do with what works for me, I'm more concerned with possible side effects of using an APC on leather that I'm unaware about.

Dr Oldz
02-10-2011, 10:57 AM
It has nothing to do with what works for me, I'm more concerned with possible side effects of using an APC on leather that I'm unaware about.

Then u are looking for facts...... Not opinions!!!

bret
02-10-2011, 11:32 AM
I've been using Meg. APC for a while now. As long as you re-nourish the leather with a quality conditioner after, I think it's fine.

jonn127
02-10-2011, 12:51 PM
I use the Power Clean, swear by it, I do dilute it at least 2:1 though typically. Like someone said, probably depends on the nastiness of an interior as to how powerful a solution to use. So far nothing but good results for me using the Power Clean.

Chris Thomas
02-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Well since you asked for facts...Power Clean IS safe on all leather except suede. The only caution needed is not to let it run down vertical seat backs without spreading it. Just spray and spread, then you can take your time scrubbing. I would also follow up with a damp towel or Protectant Plus to remove any residue.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone 4
using Tapatalk

rwright
02-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Well since you asked for facts...Power Clean IS safe on all leather except suede. The only caution needed is not to let it run down vertical seat backs without spreading it. Just spray and spread, then you can take your time scrubbing. I would also follow up with a damp towel or Protectant Plus to remove any residue.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone 4
using Tapatalk

Another reason Power Clean will remain in my arsenal. So let's see, safe for paint, safe for leather, safe for wheels, safe for plastics...so yeah it's worth $35/gallon.

Sent using Tapatalk

buddhadog
02-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Personally I never have liked the idea of using APC for leather . I dont use anything that is not intended for leather .Real Leather needs to be cleaned at a proper PH or it can damage the leather.