PDA

View Full Version : My next order....

mcpp66
02-09-2011, 11:49 PM
I'm planning on placing a big order the Friday after this one.....here's my list so far:

3 Meguiar's Microfiber Wash Mitts
3 pack of Attach-It measuring cups
11 piece precision screwdriver set
Brinkmann spotlight replacement bulbs
PB's Pina Colada air freshener sample
Ultima Interior Shampoo gel (because of CEE DOG'S review)
Flex PE14-2-150 rotary (though I may still change my mind and get the Makita, still undecided)
Rotary 3 3/4" backing plate
Clean Air Kit
Leather Master Strong Leather care kit
Wolfgang DGPS Sample (freebie :xyxthumbs:)

I think that's a pretty nice sized order. Anyhow, I've never used a rotary before and I'm going to make the plunge. I do plan on using the rotary for windshield and headlight polishing too. I'm going to use the Diamondite repair kits for this task. My question is do I need to order any other backing plates or am I good to go? Am I forgetting anything else? For those that have used the Makita and the new Flex, please offer your opinion of both. Thanks guys.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-10-2011, 12:16 AM
If money isn't an issue, why not get the new Flex rotary?

mcpp66
02-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Forgot to ask, that Leather Master kit says it's for Aniline and protected leathers. What's Aniline leather? How do you know if leather is protected? Also, the protection cream says it's for all leather types except for suede and nubuck. What's nubuck leather? I've also heard of King Ranch leather. Who do you tell what kind of leather you're working with?

mcpp66
02-10-2011, 12:20 AM
If money isn't an issue, why not get the new Flex rotary?

Money's not my key concern, but I don't want to just blindly spend it either. I'm probably going to go with the Flex because almost all recommendations have been towards that. Because I've never used a rotary before I just want to assure myself that I'm purchasing wisely.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Forgot to ask, that Leather Master kit says it's for Aniline and protected leathers. What's Aniline leather? How do you know if leather is protected? Also, the protection cream says it's for all leather types except for suede and nubuck. What's nubuck leather? I've also heard of King Ranch leather. Who do you tell what kind of leather you're working with?
Analine leather is NON-coated leather, like King Ranch leather. 99% of auto leather is coated. To make sure, put a drop of water on the leather, if it soaks into the leather, it's non-coated leather. If it sits on top, it's coated leather. Nubuck is usually found on shoes, I doubt you'll come across it in autos. It has a velvet soft feel.

jimmyjam
02-10-2011, 05:23 AM
Money's not my key concern, but I don't want to just blindly spend it either. I'm probably going to go with the Flex because almost all recommendations have been towards that. Because I've never used a rotary before I just want to assure myself that I'm purchasing wisely.

Hi mcpp66
The Flex is the way to go! I don't have the rotary, but I do have the 3401 all I can say is QUALITY! If your going to "spend wisely" there's reasons why the Flex brand is coveted so highly here on AGO. Your next order looks like a winner, I hope you get hearts desire!

BobbyG
02-10-2011, 07:20 AM
While I do like everything about my Makita 9227 the new Flex PE14-2-150 rotary is really quite a machine. I was reading what went into its design and it appears that there was actually some thought regarding the user.

It "feels" good in my hands. It's lightweight, well balanced, and the controls are in just the right location. This polisher is every bit as powerful as my Makita but in a smaller compact package.

How much power do I need? Enough to bear down and put some pressure on the pad and not having it bog down.

My Makita 9227 will not take a back seat to the Flex rotary but now I have them both and can switch back and forth as I choose depending on the task at hand...

mcpp66
02-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Analine leather is NON-coated leather, like King Ranch leather. 99% of auto leather is coated. To make sure, put a drop of water on the leather, if it soaks into the leather, it's non-coated leather. If it sits on top, it's coated leather. Nubuck is usually found on shoes, I doubt you'll come across it in autos. It has a velvet soft feel.

That's a pretty easy way to determine that..........thanks for the suggestion man! :dblthumb2:

WRAPT C5Z06
02-10-2011, 10:46 AM
That's a pretty easy way to determine that..........thanks for the suggestion man! :dblthumb2:
You got it! :dblthumb2:

mcpp66
02-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Does water soak into a non-coated leather rather quickly or does it take a while?

WRAPT C5Z06
02-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Does water soak into a non-coated leather rather quickly or does it take a while?
Quickly.

mcpp66
02-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks for your help man.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks for your help man.
:props: