PDA

View Full Version : Really dumb question

Porsche Pilot
02-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Here goes...will the physical action of ice forming/thawing, forming/thawing, actually have the ability to cause micro scratches as it goes through the freezing/thaw process? Obviously removing it will but I am talking just by itself. I really have no idea why I want to know but I must.

fancyfootwork
02-09-2011, 06:57 PM
My assumption would be yes without protection (wax, sealant) and no with protection. If you have ice or snow on your car and your car is moving.. I am pretty positive the friction will car micro-marring.

Flash Gordon
02-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Here goes...will the physical action of ice forming/thawing, forming/thawing, actually have the ability to cause micro scratches as it goes through the freezing/thaw process? Obviously removing it will but I am talking just by itself. I really have no idea why I want to know but I must.

It really depends on if this occurs on an odd or even day of the month. On an even day, you can get by with this, but try this on an odd day, and you are in for a heap of trouble :dig:

Meghan
02-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Good and interesting question but I have no idea!

BillE
02-10-2011, 08:09 AM
In my experience, yes!

It isn't so much the freeze/thaw cycle as it is the movement of the ice/snow across the finish as it thaws. Ice/snow has all the stuff that air has trapped in. As it melts, the 'dirty' liquid moves across the surface with just enough abrasives to make those tiny micro marring areas.

A good (I guess any) LSP will help protect the paint.

My 2 cents.

Bill

Mike Phillips
02-10-2011, 09:14 AM

How about,

Will the physical changes of a body panel expanding in heat and then contracting in extreme cold cause the paint to develop microscopic cracks?

Interstices

TheFreeDictionary.com (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/interstices)

interstice [ɪnˈtɜːstɪs]
n (usually plural)
1. a minute opening or crevice between things
2. (Chemistry) Physics the space between adjacent atoms in a crystal lattice

:D

LegacyGT
02-10-2011, 09:21 AM
In theory I think absolutely. Since the ice and the body panel are made out of different materials, they will expand / contract at different rates causing a small amount of friction that would cause micro scratches on a dirty surface. I would think in practice it would happen but on a nearly microscopic level - it would be interesting to test out.

Kristopher1129
02-10-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and say yes? lol. :dunno:

sohail99
02-11-2011, 05:34 AM
I'd say that mostly portions like the hood and fenders that are heated up by the engine 'might' exhibit this phenomena!

(But will the flexing agent in the paint help with that?)