PDA

View Full Version : How to hide small cracks/checks in paint? Turtle Wax Color Cure equivalent?

Pages : [1] 2

El Diablo
02-09-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm dealing with some light checking/staring on a hood. I'm doing someone a favor cutting with Megs 105 on their never waxed in its life car. I couldn't see the marks under the crud on the paint, but after buffing they show. The paint is looking great but these little marks on the hood stand out as they hold white now. I don't see that Turtle wax color cure being sold anymore, but it would be perfect for this problem. Does anyone make anything equivalent? Or know any tricks? Maybe put some dye in a small sample of wax? Hopefully some of you can share your experience/knowledge.

Thank you

LegacyGT
02-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Sounds like you may be seeing the early stages of clear coat failure ... could you post a picture of what you are seeing?

El Diablo
02-09-2011, 05:54 PM
http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/data/500/checking.jpg

Fly bye
02-09-2011, 06:41 PM
:(

Perfections
02-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Crows feet usually caused by poor application, like to thick or the surface got really hot, gonna need to be repainted :(

El Diablo
02-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Oh guys I know what they are, I'm just here to see if anyone knows of a wax like color cure that will fill in these marks. Color cure tints imperfections so they aren't easily seen. It came in like 8 colors.

Flash Gordon
02-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Oh guys I know what they are, I'm just here to see if anyone knows of a wax like color cure that will fill in these marks. Color cure tints imperfections so they aren't easily seen. It came in like 8 colors.

My Wife would try to fill them in with fingernail polish. When I first met her, she had a Nissan with this very issue. I stopped by to see her one afternoon and she was touching them up with fingernail polish. Amazingly, the color match was near perfect

LegacyGT
02-09-2011, 09:43 PM
I have the the same crows feet showing up on my car. I am using it as an excuse to get in a lot of experience with the rotary before I have the car repainted.

bill57
02-09-2011, 09:52 PM
I just purchased a bottle of TW Color Cure from Advanced Auto. Saw it at O'Reily's,and other places, too. Dupli-Color used to market a similar product named "Color Wax". Most on this forum won't admit to using TW products.

Scott DeBrun
02-09-2011, 10:16 PM
I tried the tw color a long time ago on a dodge daytona and the only thing it does is stain your hands and wash off the next time the car is cleaned.

fairlady350z
02-09-2011, 10:23 PM
I tried the tw color a long time ago on a dodge daytona and the only thing it does is stain your hands and wash off the next time the car is cleaned.

I had the same experience... if you do decided to try it, make sure you use an old MF towel because the color is almost impossible to get out of the cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tuscarora dave
02-09-2011, 10:35 PM
For this checking, I use rubbing alcohol to soften up the polish/wax residue that is jammed down into the cracks. I keep them wet with the IPA and then hit it with a pressure washer to blast out the softened gunk. I don't put the PW tip right against the paint but I do get the PW tip within a few inches from the paint. This works well for getting the stuff out of the cracks. Sometimes I have to repeat this process a few times to get all the crap out. Then I use either Duragloss #111 or a clear sealant like Opti-Seal to seal the paint. Any color of carnauba is going to show in the cracks but the clear sealants do not.

If you do this you will have to break out a magnifying glass to even see the checking when you are finished.

LegacyGT
02-09-2011, 10:39 PM
For this checking, I use rubbing alcohol to soften up the polish/wax residue that is jammed down into the cracks. I keep them wet with the IPA and then hit it with a pressure washer to blast out the softened gunk. I don't put the PW tip right against the paint but I do get the PW tip within a few inches from the paint. This works well for getting the stuff out of the cracks. Sometimes I have to repeat this process a few times to get all the crap out. Then I use either Duragloss #111 or a clear sealant like Opti-Seal to seal the paint. Any color of carnauba is going to show in the cracks but the clear sealants do not.

If you do this you will have to break out a magnifying glass to even see the checking when you are finished.

I'll keep that tip tucked away for future reference. If you try this, I would be interested in some after pics.

tuscarora dave
02-09-2011, 10:47 PM
I'll keep that tip tucked away for future reference. If you try this, I would be interested in some after pics.
I have done this on a few dark colored vehicles, it works well but unfortunately I have no photos to back it up.

ALLN1WASH
02-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Actually, Dave was able to help me with the same issue a few months back and I can honestly say, this process made significant improvements to the hood. I was a little scared to get the PW tip that close to the paint, being my first attempt at the process. But had i gotten a bit more aggressive, I'm sure the hood would have been perfect.
Again, thanks Dave.