PDA

View Full Version : new SF Bay Area guy... big fan of Show-n-Shine

Pages : [1] 2

TheBayAYK
02-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm been on here for a few months just learning and reading and enjoying the Show'n'Shines. There are some really awesome cars there and some really awesome detail jobs.

I've wanted to get my cars detailed for a while but I'm also kind of a DIYer. So this is the place I come to learn how to do things right.

First thing I did that I've never done was remove some scratches -- the ones behind the door handle. My wife's car had them really bad and I thought it was because of her rings. I found out here that it was because of nails. Used some Meg's UC and it took care the issue in no time. It was almost like magic, like one of those late night infomercials you can't believe :) I was really happy and she thought it took me a long time to do!

Anyway, I'm planning to order a few things from here and continue to get my cars in even better shape.

Thank you all for sharing your work and your knowledge. It is much appreciated and enjoyed.

Thanks,
Ashur

dad07
02-09-2011, 09:05 PM
:welcome:Glad you joined us .You have come to the right place to learn.There are some very helpfull folks here that share the same passion.Again welcome aboard!

Meghan
02-09-2011, 09:06 PM
:welcome:

c5z06camaro
02-09-2011, 11:10 PM
welcome to the site! nice to see some norcal peeps.

Kristopher1129
02-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Welcome aboard! Glad you could learn a little somethin! Great thing about this forum...is that if you have one question, you usually get 30 answers, ha. :dblthumb2:

Bates Detailing
02-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Welcome from Tennessee!

Fly bye
02-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Welcome to AG http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/tsarkes/emoticons/wavey.gif

What part of the Bay Area are you from?

weavers
02-10-2011, 12:27 AM
I too live in the bay area, San Jose, and love taking care of scratches under the door handles. It takes 5mins, but really makes a big impact. I think most of the time its dirt that you remove. I also like wet sanding headlamps. Another thing is to get some meg plastic X and do the interior plastic, like the one that covers the speedo. Its a subtle thing, but a very nice touch.

DetailedByPrecision
02-10-2011, 02:01 AM
hi. i am from sf as well. welcome

Bates Detailing
02-10-2011, 02:07 AM
I lived in Monterey Bay for a few years and loved it man! Use to take trips to SF every other weekend..... I envy all of you that live in Mid Cali!!! Ocean, Mountains, wonderful climates! Welcome to the forum man :xyxthumbs:

jimmyjam
02-10-2011, 04:47 AM
Hi TheBayAYK,
I have some friends that live in the Oakland Hills next to the golf coarse/zoo, and I always bug them to take my wife and I to eat at Zachery's Pizzeria in Berkley. Love that place!! Well WELCOME TO AGO!!! Look forward to any questions you may have, we have some of the most considerate, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic members. :dblthumb2:

BobbyG
02-10-2011, 07:32 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online!

So you like clean shinny cars! This is a great place to learn, do and teach your craft. The members here are really great and ready with a recommendation or another solution.

Enjoy! :props:

Mike Phillips
02-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm been on here for a few months just learning and reading and enjoying the Show'n'Shines. There are some really awesome cars there and some really awesome detail jobs.

I've wanted to get my cars detailed for a while but I'm also kind of a DIYer. So this is the place I come to learn how to do things right.

Thank you all for sharing your work and your knowledge. It is much appreciated and enjoyed.

Thanks,
Ashur

Hi Ashur and welcome to Autogeek Online!

:welcome:

TheBayAYK
02-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Welcome to AG http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/tsarkes/emoticons/wavey.gif

What part of the Bay Area are you from?

I live in Milpitas and work a few minutes away in Milpitas/North SJ (Cisco Systems).

I too live in the bay area, San Jose, and love taking care of scratches under the door handles. It takes 5mins, but really makes a big impact. I think most of the time its dirt that you remove. I also like wet sanding headlamps. Another thing is to get some meg plastic X and do the interior plastic, like the one that covers the speedo. Its a subtle thing, but a very nice touch.

Yeah, taking care of the scratches under the door handles was super easy and they look great now. I'm going to need to take care of my headlamps also now that I park outside (we've got one of those tandem garages but I've got to part my car outside so my wife can park her car inside -- too much kids stuff to park both of them), so my car has been getting a bit abused.

Here's what I have on my to do list for my car (2003 Honda Accord EXL - white):
1) I'm planning to tackle the headlights next. They're clear, it's just that near the tops they are getting a bit rough.

2) I've also got a "scuff" that was caused by hitting a tire on the highway. It's like a two inch black spot on my front bumper -- I read (on here of course) that I can take care of this with some aggressive claying.

3) The mirror shells also have some scuffs/scratches from my wife attempting to pull the car out of the garage.

4) Leather needs to be cleaned. I have Lexol (both cleaner and the conditioner) and use it to do the occasional quick clean. I need to spend some time and get a real good clean in.

5) Going to order some Meg's APC and a nice brush to clean my engine/underhood.

Again, thanks to everyone for the info. I'm kind of getting obsessed with this site now :) I'm on here every day it seems.

weavers
02-11-2011, 02:36 AM
I live in Milpitas and work a few minutes away in Milpitas/North SJ (Cisco Systems).

5) Going to order some Meg's APC and a nice brush to clean my engine/underhood.

Congratz at getting a job at Cisco, I have a friend that works there.

To be honest you can use otc apc like simple green or get a heavy duty degreaser like "purple power" Its at walmart and a gallon cost just 5 bucks. Its suppose to be stronger than apc. for engines i diulute 1:5. Walmart also has a nice wheel well brush that works great for engine bays, also get some soft bristle paint brushes, 1" or 2." Be sure to wash the engine cold. leave it over night. cover the air intake and any electrics and spark plugs. at the very least spray WD 40 on them. After you clean the engine bay use a leaf blower to dry it and run the car for 15mins or so. Then dress the plastics, I just use tire dressing like opti bond or meg's endurance.

Oh after you do the headlights be sure to put some sealant or wax on them. Its good your gonna take care of them now.

brush on the far right. Its cheap and soft and from my experience doesn't scratch.
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/1675/medium/1021.jpg