PDA

View Full Version : I woke up to these scratches :(

Pages : [1] 2 3

slickooz
02-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi guys I need a little help. When I woke up today I noticed there were a few scratches on my front passenger car.

I might be able to compound and polish the lighter ones but there one that is deeper that I might need to sand down a bit.

Deeper scratch that nail get caught in.
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/slickooz/IMG_1116.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/slickooz/IMG_1115.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/slickooz/IMG_1114.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/slickooz/IMG_1113.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/slickooz/IMG_1112.jpg

What do you guys think? Right now there is no way I can get it repainted but want to make it look better. I think the lighter ones I can get rid of but there 1 or 2 that my finger nail gets stuck when passing by. I also have touch up paint with a really fine brush. Can I out down some touch up paint on the deeper scratch and sand it down with 2000 grit and then compound and polish it out?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Kristopher1129
02-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Those should wet sand out no problem man. Soak some 2000 grit in some warm water, wet the area, and sand it down. A rotary, wool pad and some 105, then a finish foam pad with some 205. You'll be good to go. IMO of course.:dblthumb2:

slickooz
02-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Those should wet sand out no problem man. Soak some 2000 grit in some warm water, wet the area, and sand it down. A rotary, wool pad and some 105, then a finish foam pad with some 205. You'll be good to go. IMO of course.:dblthumb2:

Thanks! I have seen some of the scratches you fixed and you do an amazing job. I only have a DA and orange and white pads. Should I try it with DA or wait until a couple months until I get an rotary?

WRAPT C5Z06
02-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks! I have seen some of the scratches you fixed and you do an amazing job. I only have a DA and orange and white pads. Should I try it with DA or wait until a couple months until I get an rotary?
Sand it with 2000 then 3000. Pick up some surbuf pads and M105 to use with your DA. That combo should be able to remove 3000 grit sanding marks. Can anyone confirm this?

slickooz
02-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Would it be safe to get wetsand 2000 and 3000 grit from any auto store? I also don't have M105 but I have a gallon of M95. Think Meguiar's ult compound would replace the M105 working with the DA? I can prob burrow my friend Dewalt with this wool pads to try to remove these. Thanks a lot guys!!!

Also when working with wet sand do I need to buy a block so that I can wrap the sand paper around it?

WRAPT C5Z06
02-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Would it be safe to get wetsand 2000 and 3000 grit from any auto store? I also don't have M105 but I have a gallon of M95. Think Meguiar's ult compound would replace the M105 working with the DA? I can prob burrow my friend Dewalt with this wool pads to try to remove these. Thanks a lot guys!!!

Also when working with wet sand do I need to buy a block so that I can wrap the sand paper around it?
M95 with a rotary and wool will work fine, but M95 is not meant for use with a DA. I'd definitely use M105 instead of UC for removing sanding marks.

I've never bought wet sanding paper from an Auto Parts store, so I can comment on that. You don't NEED a block to sand with, but it won't hurt either.

slickooz
02-09-2011, 04:09 PM
M95 with a rotary and wool will work fine, but M95 is not meant for use with a DA. I'd definitely use M105 instead of UC for removing sanding marks.

I've never bought wet sanding paper from an Auto Parts store, so I can comment on that. You don't NEED a block to sand with, but it won't hurt either.

I bought 1500 grit from Pepboys and I used them for headlights and they did a good job. Never tried it on paint yet. Going try it on my dad beater to see how it works.

LuxuryMobile
02-09-2011, 04:15 PM
I wouldnt hit them with 1500 if you dont have to. 2000 should get it and 3000 will smooth it out even better. Surbuf will definitly get 3000 sanding marks out, I've had great success with removing 2000 grit sanding marks with surbuf so 3000 should be a breeze.

slickooz
02-09-2011, 04:34 PM
I wouldnt hit them with 1500 if you dont have to. 2000 should get it and 3000 will smooth it out even better. Surbuf will definitly get 3000 sanding marks out, I've had great success with removing 2000 grit sanding marks with surbuf so 3000 should be a breeze.

Can orange pad with ult compound get rid of 3000 grit? I kind of want to get it fixed fast but If I need to buy some other stuff to have a great finish I rather do that.

I might be able to burrow my friend rotary and wool pad so I can use M95 on it then finish it off with my DA.

Does Surbuf on DA have same amount of cut as a wool pad on rotary?

Edit:
The first pic, is it down to the primer?

LuxuryMobile
02-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Im sure an orange pad can remove 3000 grit sanding scratches. I havent tried that combo but it sounds like it would work. I prefer to use M105 instead of UC when removing sanding marks (esp if using a DA) because of the extra bite M105 has over UC

BobbyG
02-09-2011, 06:12 PM
While the minor scratches should polish out with little effort I'm a bit more concerned with the deeper one.

The thickness of clear-coat layer on today's cars is "about" .001 thick. This means a little more and a little LESS.

When I look at the photo the scratch is deep enough to cast a shadow on the upper edge. The photo of the larger scratch looks like it may already be through both color and clear. Without inspecting it in person it's hard to tell.

Wet sanding certainly has its place but can result in removing more material that planned resulting in breaking through the clear. Once this happens the only recourse if repainting.. I'm not saying not to sand but I wouldn't start with less than 2000 grit. Take you time and go slow monitoring your progress as you go.

VISITOR
02-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Sand it with 2000 then 3000. Pick up some surbuf pads and M105 to use with your DA. That combo should be able to remove 3000 grit sanding marks. Can anyone confirm this?

check out this thread (you'll have to type it in the search) over on Autopia...

" Surbuf Pad paired with M105 and PC is a defect killer! "

RaskyR1
02-09-2011, 06:28 PM
I would use caution in doing this as Acura paint tends to be in the 95-115 micron range. Some of those are through the clear IMO. Making them look better is safer than trying to fully remove them and risk sanding through the clear!!!

I was able to remove DA wet sanding marks from my car with an orange LC pad in one section pass. Sanding by hand will likely leave tracers behind if you haven't done it before which can be difficult to remove for some people.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/25931-wet-sanding-cutting-buffing-using-only-da.html

Rasky

Kristopher1129
02-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Can orange pad with ult compound get rid of 3000 grit? I kind of want to get it fixed fast but If I need to buy some other stuff to have a great finish I rather do that.

I might be able to burrow my friend rotary and wool pad so I can use M95 on it then finish it off with my DA.

Does Surbuf on DA have same amount of cut as a wool pad on rotary?

Edit:
The first pic, is it down to the primer?

I made a couple attempts to remove wet sand scratches with the DA with poor results. BUT, I am used to using a rotary to begin with. DA is really not my strong suit. I know a rotary with a wool pad, and some 105 will take out 2000 grit scratches no problem.

Like 07 said though. If you use 2000, then step it up with 3000...you'll probably have much better luck using the DA.

If you ask me...I would borrow that rotary. IMO it will make the process much quicker, and do a better job. Some might say it's the aggressive approach...but that really depends on how you use that rotary.

If you saw that post I put up recently with the scratched fender and bumper...that is the exact process I would use on those scratches, just in a much smaller scale for this job.:dblthumb2:

Fly bye
02-09-2011, 06:49 PM

I would not try to remove this scratch, as doing so will likely remove the clear coat near/around the vicinity of the scratch.

Do you have full coverage?