PDA

View Full Version : decal removal

Pages : [1] 2 3

MARK928S
02-08-2011, 08:02 PM
anybody have a fast system to remove decals. currently removing with heat gun and paint thinner for residue. have problems with large vans with the smell of the thinner. any help would be appreciated!

Flash Gordon
02-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Sounds like you've already found the quickest method IMO. You might add some plastic razors

Kristopher1129
02-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Heat gun and fishing line works fairly quick depending on the decal. You'll still need the thinner though. I prefer to use acetone, but I doubt that will be much better for you. Are you wearing a face mask when you use it? If not, that may help. Stuff goes right to your head.

dad07
02-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Stuff goes right to your head.

Really?!?!?!? I never not.i..c..................what..........in the hell are we talkin bout?

Kristopher1129
02-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Really?!?!?!? I never not.i..c..................what..........in the hell are we talkin bout?

See :laughing:

dad07
02-08-2011, 08:44 PM
To the op your doing the best thing you can do .....hang in there and moderation with the thinnerswill get you thriugh it!

Bates Detailing
02-08-2011, 08:45 PM
I Remove decals on buses all the time and just use the heat gun and a plastic razor - normally peels right off. Sometimes I have noticed that applying to much heat causes the adhesive to stick behind a bit worse. Then I just use a 3M adhesive remover - sometimes let it sit and maybe have to toss some elbow grease in there...... a full bus takes me alone about 30 to 45 minutes with these methods..... hope this helps?!??!?!

slickooz
02-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Can I use a hair blow drier to remove the decals off my car with floss?

Roz
02-08-2011, 09:02 PM
I just removed the (old) business lettering from my new work truck. I used a hair-dryer and a plastic razor. I removed the residue/glue with mineral spirits. I then claybarred to remove the final tid-bits.

I really wish I could have found a rubber-eraser wheel. That would have cut my time in half. BUT, if you're not careful you'll burn through the paint QUICK. I hadn't used on in a while, so I stuck with the old-fashioned way.

tuscarora dave
02-08-2011, 09:05 PM
I've been looking into getting one of these decal removing tools.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/zap_elec_miva.gif

MontiPower MBX Vinyl Zapper

Kristopher1129
02-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Can I use a hair blow drier to remove the decals off my car with floss?

Sure. Floss doesn't ALWAYS work. I've ran into a couple situations where the adhesive was too thick. It's nice when it works cause it typically doesn't leave a lot of adhesive behind. Comes off fairly clean, and leaves no scratches at all. I find fishing line to be stronger, and work a bit better.

Kristopher1129
02-08-2011, 09:14 PM
I've been looking into getting one of these decal removing tools.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/zap_elec_miva.gif

MontiPower MBX Vinyl Zapper

Ooooooooo toys! :awesome: Have you tried it?

slickooz
02-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Sure. Floss doesn't ALWAYS work. I've ran into a couple situations where the adhesive was too thick. It's nice when it works cause it typically doesn't leave a lot of adhesive behind. Comes off fairly clean, and leaves no scratches at all. I find fishing line to be stronger, and work a bit better.

Thanks Kristopher. If I decided to put them back onto my car would it be a pain or would it be easy?

tuscarora dave
02-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Ooooooooo toys! :awesome: Have you tried it?
I haven't tried it but a customer of mine's sign guy swears by it for removing decals from the commercial vehicles that he strips and re letters up. He claims that there is no heat build up and very minimal paint marring.

Kristopher1129
02-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks Kristopher. If I decided to put them back onto my car would it be a pain or would it be easy?

Honestly, I don't have much experience putting them back on. From the look of ones that I've taken off...the adhesive is usually pretty much done for. If you want them back on, I would just buy some new ones so you have fresh adhesive backings.