PDA

View Full Version : A little overwhelmed, but I think I narrowed it down.

afkeating74
02-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Hello all, new here on the forum. I can tell there is a wealth of information here, but it's a little difficult to process all of it, especially with all of the abbreviations.

My situation is this. I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra in Phanton Gray Pearl. I usually only have time to polish, wax, etc. twice a year. I did not have a chance to do anything before the winter. Looking at the paint now, I don't see any major swirl marks. It's just a little dull, some minor stuff from the salt and crud on the roads, and a couple of deeper scratches. Last time I detailed, I used Duragloss #652, followed by Red Moose Glaze, Followed by Duragloss #105 and then Duragloss Aquawax #951. I think I made a mistake though by not waiting for the 105 to cure for 24 hours before applying aquawax. I loved the durability of the 105, and paint was very smooth and free of defects. It just didn't have that wet look that I like. Also, the only polisher I had was a cheapo Waxmaster.

So now I am getting ready for spring and the 1st thing on the list is to detail both vehicles. My wife's is a 2007 RAV4 in sea foam green. My shopping list consists of the following. I was hoping the experts could look over this list and give me some guidance as to whether or not I am on the right track.

For washing and getting ready for polish:

Duragloss car wash #901 - have some left from last time
Duragloss Bug Remover #471 - for obvious areas
Amazing Roll Off - for wheel wells, engine compartment, tires, and wheels
DP Universal clay and lube combo

Next:

Meguiars #105 - Orange LC CCS 6.5" pad, for the deeper scratches, not the whole truck

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 - White LC CCS 6.5" pad, go over the whole truck

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 - Gray LC CCS 6.5" pad, go over whole truck

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 - Red LC CCS 6.5" pad, go over whole truck

24 Hours Later:

Duragloss Aquawax #951 - have left over

I plan on applying all of the polishes and sealers with a Griot's 6" Random Orbital Polisher, and I plan on removing said products with microfiber bonnets on top of a Lambswool leveling pad. I have a decent pile of microfibers, wash mitts, and brushes on hand as well. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

embolism
02-07-2011, 03:32 PM
process sounds fine, just remember to do a test spot first to make sure you are getting the results you want before you do the whole car

BobbyG
02-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Hello all, new here on the forum. I can tell there is a wealth of information here, but it's a little difficult to process all of it, especially with all of the abbreviations.

OH, you must be talking about those neat little abbreviations that are so fashionable today, they're called acronyms!

These little beauties are used to simplify writing therefore saving time by typing less.

When you read my posts you won't have to ask; "what does APC mean" because I'll type All Purpose Cleaner or Armored Personal Carrier or American Power Converter..

My situation is this. I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra in Phanton Gray Pearl. I usually only have time to polish, wax, etc. twice a year. I did not have a chance to do anything before the winter. Looking at the paint now, I don't see any major swirl marks. It's just a little dull, some minor stuff from the salt and crud on the roads, and a couple of deeper scratches. Last time I detailed, I used Duragloss #652, followed by Red Moose Glaze, Followed by Duragloss #105 and then Duragloss Aquawax #951. I think I made a mistake though by not waiting for the 105 to cure for 24 hours before applying aquawax. I loved the durability of the 105, and paint was very smooth and free of defects. It just didn't have that wet look that I like. Also, the only polisher I had was a cheapo Waxmaster.

As you begin to understand finishes and what causes them to deteriorate you'll also understand how to correct them. Once corrected you'll want to protect them with a good sealant and wax.

As you continue to appreciate how your finish literally glows you'll more than naturally want to keep it looking that way.

There is a wealth of knowledge here from the Autogeek pro's to this forums fine members

So now I am getting ready for spring and the 1st thing on the list is to detail both vehicles. My wife's is a 2007 RAV4 in sea foam green. My shopping list consists of the following. I was hoping the experts could look over this list and give me some guidance as to whether or not I am on the right track.

For washing and getting ready for polish:

Duragloss car wash #901 - have some left from last time
Duragloss Bug Remover #471 - for obvious areas
Amazing Roll Off - for wheel wells, engine compartment, tires, and wheels
DP Universal clay and lube combo

Next:

Meguiars #105 - Orange LC CCS 6.5" pad, for the deeper scratches, not the whole truck

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 - White LC CCS 6.5" pad, go over the whole truck

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 - Gray LC CCS 6.5" pad, go over whole truck

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 - Red LC CCS 6.5" pad, go over whole truck

24 Hours Later:

Duragloss Aquawax #951 - have left over

I plan on applying all of the polishes and sealers with a Griot's 6" Random Orbital Polisher, and I plan on removing said products with microfiber bonnets on top of a Lambswool leveling pad. I have a decent pile of microfibers, wash mitts, and brushes on hand as well. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Your plan sounds reasonable. The products you mention are good quality and should improve your finish nicely...:props:

dad07
02-07-2011, 07:17 PM
OH, you must be talking about those neat little abbreviations that are so fashionable today, they're called acronyms!

These little beauties are used to simplify writing therefore saving time by typing less.

When you read my posts you won't have to ask; "what does APC mean" because I'll type All Purpose Cleaner or Armored Personal Carrier or American Power Converter..

As you begin to understand finishes and what causes them to deteriorate you'll also understand how to correct them. Once corrected you'll want to protect them with a good sealant and wax.

As you continue to appreciate how your finish literally glows you'll more than naturally want to keep it looking that way.

There is a wealth of knowledge here from the Autogeek pro's to this forums fine members

Your plan sounds reasonable. The products you mention are good quality and should improve your finish nicely...:props:

Anything BobbyG says you can take to the bank!!!! A very Knowledgeable person,and straight to the piont!

Hey Bobby ever think of running for political office? You'llhave my vote!!

mg6045
02-07-2011, 08:23 PM
when you read my posts you won't have to ask; "what does apc mean" because i'll type all purpose cleaner or armored personal carrier or american power converter..

lol!!!