PDA

View Full Version : What % on this forum are Prof detailers?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

RandyD
02-06-2011, 12:38 PM
I do not do this professionally but I am obsessed with detailing my cars. Just curious if anyone can guess about what percent of people on this forum are actual professional detailers?

Thanks

Perfections
02-06-2011, 01:53 PM
17.873%

StephenK
02-06-2011, 02:05 PM
that would be hard since there are memebers that have not been on in a long time. but if you are talking about just the active members then i would have to say about 45% are either working for as a detailer for someone else or has their own registered buisness

TornadoRed
02-06-2011, 04:11 PM
I give up. What's the correct answer?

LegacyGT
02-06-2011, 04:12 PM
I would think something like 60/40 (hobbyist/pro) But we all share the desire for good looking cars.

SATracker
02-06-2011, 04:57 PM
I agree with, "detailgod", it's hard to answer. After reading this forum for a couple of years (as well as other forums), there are "pros" who have never clayed, "pros" who don't use machines for paint correction, and "pros" who use a rotary and leave horrendous swirls. They basically wash & wax very well. So there may be a lot of folks who get paid to detail but don't do the quality work of some "amateurs". Sorry about being so anal in my response. I wonder if AutoGeek would ever consider having a, "detail off"; just for the fun of it? Pay an entrance fee (for food & fun stuff), bring your own tools & product, AutoGeek provides the cars from some local car rental, get judges like Killrwheels, Mike Phillips, Sully, Dwayne, whomever, ya got 8 hours to wash, clay, compound, polish, wax. Have some fun, detail some cars, hang with the cool crowd. Give the winner a trophy & a 6 pack of Coke.

BobbyG
02-06-2011, 05:05 PM
I can say unequivocally that I am not a professional detailer because I do not derive any of my income from detailing................

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!! :props:

oldmodman
02-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Not a professional.

But it has been suggested that I be instituionalized if I buy any more detailing supplies.

I promised that I would never try to polish the cat ever again.

Setec Astronomy
02-06-2011, 10:18 PM
I promised that I would never try to polish the cat ever again.

Is the dog still fair game?

Bates Detailing
02-06-2011, 10:23 PM
48.39% for sure.

76.27% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Kristopher1129
02-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Well, I wash me and my moms car a couple times a week. So, you can definitely add me to the professionals list! :bolt:

SATMAN40
02-07-2011, 02:15 AM
A professional is one who earns his living doing that.

I would doubt 10% earn a living doing this work, I do think there is a lot of hobbyist here.

It would be a hard way to make a buck full time, and the ones working would not spend time on the board.

Most business are bicycle business, you quit peddling and the business quits moving. When you get over 25 employees you can take time off and draw a paycheck, till then you are just a worker, riding a bike...

I feel for every small business person, but you do get to pick which 12 hours of the day you want to work...7 days a week.

Bates Detailing
02-07-2011, 10:04 AM
I feel for every small business person, but you do get to pick which 12 hours of the day you want to work...7 days a week.

LOL - this is completely true (unfortunately).

Kristopher1129
02-07-2011, 10:28 AM
A professional is one who earns his living doing that.

I would doubt 10% earn a living doing this work, I do think there is a lot of hobbyist here.

It would be a hard way to make a buck full time, and the ones working would not spend time on the board.

Most business are bicycle business, you quit peddling and the business quits moving. When you get over 25 employees you can take time off and draw a paycheck, till then you are just a worker, riding a bike...

I disagree with a lot of what you said here. I work full time at my detail shop, and I still squeeze in some board time. Also, depending on where you are...there's definitely down months. For me in New Hampshire...obviously those months are in the winter. Even though right now I'm actually pretty busy.

Also, whether or not we get to choose what hours/days we work really depends on how dedicated you are to your business. Spring, summer, and fall I work 6 days a week. Most the days are at least 10 hour days. That's not cause I WANT to. That's because I HAVE to. If I don't, customers vehicles will not get done, and they won't come back! So, the felexibility is only if you allow it. If you do allow it, then like you said...you might be peddling quite a bit, ha.

It's actually not very hard to make a buck either. It's tough to accumulate clients to keep you busy. But once you have a following, they come right to you every year.

I just wanted to chime in, cause it seems like you feel as if actual detailers don't have time for the forum, and are too busy trying to keep their businesses a float, ha. I thought that was a little ridiculous being someone who does make a living detailing. I'm sure there are full time detailers out there not on the forum obviously. But, in my opinion...that is actually a mistake on their part. I don't care how long you've been detailing, or how busy you are as a detailer. This forum has a LOT of information to benefit the hobbyists, AND the full timers. :cheers:

DLaw
02-07-2011, 10:54 AM
:urtheman:

I have only been here for a very short time but, imo, There are quite a few members who do make a living off of detailing on here. These members are also not afraid to give anybody advice or tips. We are all here for the same reason.