PDA

View Full Version : New 2011 Caddy CTS-V Coupe light swirl removal

hulksdaddy
02-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Hi all. Just joined up. Hoping for good direction in paint correction on my new car. Car spent about a week and a half on the dealer lot. Snowed A LOT, and looks like from them removing the snow a few times, some light swirling took place. Might be some moderate swirls as well, but overall, just light.

Haven't had to do any swirl removal in the past, so was hoping for advice. After a little research on here, I'm thinking about the the PC 7424XP HD, Wolfgang TSR and Glaze, LC CCS Orange 6.5 and LC CCS White 6.5 pads. I want as swirl free a finish as possible, with the least possibility of making it worse. After viewing all the videos multiple times, I'm confident I can replicate what I saw, just want reassurance I'm making a correct product choice.

Thanks,
Dave

Niele
02-06-2011, 01:26 AM
I'm thinking about the the PC 7424XP HD, Wolfgang TSR and Glaze, LC CCS Orange 6.5 and LC CCS White 6.5 pads...
Looks good, except for the 6.5" pads. Since you are getting a PC, you should consider getting the 5.5" pads since they are easier for your PC to spin. Also, you might want to get either the 5.5" flats (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-edge-pads.html) or the 5.5" Low Profile HydroTechs (http://www.autogeek.net/hydrotech-low-profile-pads.html) because thinner pads are also easier on the PC.

hulksdaddy
02-06-2011, 01:33 AM
Looks good, except for the 6.5" pads. Since you are getting a PC, you should consider getting the 5.5" pads since they are easier for your PC to spin. Also, you might want to get either the 5.5" flats (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-edge-pads.html) or the 5.5" Low Profile HydroTechs (http://www.autogeek.net/hydrotech-low-profile-pads.html) because thinner pads are also easier on the PC.

I considered that, but thought the extra cushion afforded by the 6.5 might be a safer bet, first time out. The PC and the 6.5 might take slightly longer, but still get the job done, correct?

BobbyG
02-06-2011, 07:15 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online Dave!

Congratulations on the new purchase!

Since it's a new car and the swirls are light you might want to use a nice combo from either Wolfgang or Pinnacle.

There are kits offered here but most come with the 6 1/2 diameter pad size. Personally I changed from 6 1/2 diameter Lake Country CCS pads to 5 1/2 diameter Lake County flat pads and saw a huge difference in machine performance.

The 6 1/2 diameter pads still work well but the job will take a little longer....

Autogeek has put together some convenient kits,

Car Care Kits, Car Care Cleaning Kits, Complete Detailing Kits (http://www.autogeek.net/kitspecials.html)

Pinnacle Kit

Pinnacle Porter Cable 7424 Kit, Lake country ccs pads, polishing pads, porter cable pads, porter cable kit (http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-porter-cable.html)

Wolfgang Kit

Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424 Swirl-Free Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-porter-cable-swirl-remover.html)

dougaross
02-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Haven't had to do any swirl removal in the past, so was hoping for advice. After a little research on here, I'm thinking about the the PC 7424XP HD, Wolfgang TSR and Glaze, LC CCS Orange 6.5 and LC CCS White 6.5 pads. I want as swirl free a finish as possible, with the least possibility of making it worse. After viewing all the videos multiple times, I'm confident I can replicate what I saw, just want reassurance I'm making a correct product choice.

Thanks,
Dave

Save some money get plain PC and extension cord vs HD. Also you can use extension cord elsewhere. Get 5.5" pads it is practically impossible to damage paint with PC.

Setec Astronomy
02-06-2011, 07:48 AM
I considered that, but thought the extra cushion afforded by the 6.5 might be a safer bet, first time out. The PC and the 6.5 might take slightly longer, but still get the job done, correct?

Listen to these guys about the 5.5" pads--that Caddy paint is hard as a rock. How long have you had the car? Did you let them "wash" it before you took it? Have you washed it since you have had it? It's possible that the car is worse than it looks if you haven't washed it, they may have glazed it and hid some of the swirls.

You'll be "safe" with the 5.5" pads, just don't try to take out anything too deep (if you can feel the swirls/RIDS with your fingernail, it's probably not safe to completely remove it). Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Old Tiger
02-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Welcome aboard. You came to a great site. I like the new LC Hydrotech pads better than the CCS. Also the Griots DA has a lot more power and a terrific 'Customer for Life' warranty. Just my $.02 FWIW.

Setec Astronomy
02-06-2011, 10:05 AM
I'll second Old Tiger that the Hydrotech are great pads. I haven't used mine enough to see the longevity issues that some talk about, but it doesn't seem like that would be an issue for your application. Orange with the TSR and crimson with the glaze and you should be looking good!

ScottB
02-06-2011, 10:06 AM
With GM's harder clearcoat, Menzerna Ceramiclear or Wolfgang Polishes are the way to go indeed. Hydro-Tech is another winning combo.

hulksdaddy
02-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys! Will go with the 5.5 pads.

Also, for light scratches on the plastic "V" spoiler, what is the best?

slimnib
02-06-2011, 12:08 PM
With GM's harder clearcoat, Menzerna Ceramiclear or Wolfgang Polishes are the way to go indeed. Hydro-Tech is another winning combo.

Better than 105/205?

hulksdaddy
02-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Ok, just washed the car. Almost 50 degrees today, so lucky, as snow will be here this week (AGAIN).

Anyway, car was nor prepped per my instructions. The car was inside overnight, but they put it outside during the day(had to work on other cars). I believe the swirls are from wiping snow off the car.

The finish is raw, with some contaminants, so needs claying. The swirls are light, fine spider webs. Otherwise, looks great. Will clay the finish, windshield, and windows.

So, for correction, 5.5 LC pads(Hydro seems to get a lot of votes), Griots polisher better than PC?

Megs 105/205 vs Wolfgang TSR/Glaze? Benefits to either? Or a push.

Thanks guys!

mg6045
02-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Ok, just washed the car. Almost 50 degrees today, so lucky, as snow will be here this week (AGAIN).

Anyway, car was nor prepped per my instructions. The car was inside overnight, but they put it outside during the day(had to work on other cars). I believe the swirls are from wiping snow off the car.

The finish is raw, with some contaminants, so needs claying. The swirls are light, fine spider webs. Otherwise, looks great. Will clay the finish, windshield, and windows.

So, for correction, 5.5 LC pads(Hydro seems to get a lot of votes), Griots polisher better than PC?

Megs 105/205 vs Wolfgang TSR/Glaze? Benefits to either? Or a push.

Thanks guys!

5.5 Hydrotech pads !

Griots polisher !

Menzerna/Wolfgang combo ! (especially if its your first time polishing a car, The Meg's 105/205 has a learning curve that can verge on STEEP depending on the weather and conditions. Just my opinion, so no flaming from the community about the MEG'S. The Wolfgang/Menzerna polish is foolproof IMO, just dont be afraid to work it long enough, with the Griots this should be NO problemo ! )