PDA

View Full Version : winter carpet care

Pages : [1] 2

blue circus
02-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Up north we get a crystalized salt cake on carpets that have been neglected. Need some tips on eliminating that without damaging carpet

dougaross
02-05-2011, 11:00 AM
In my ride I use Weather Tech floor liners. Keep the salt off the carpets.

blue circus
02-05-2011, 11:05 AM
I use the weathertech also, but Im trying to solve the problem of how to treat it

mswerb
02-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Spray them with some water and scrub them.
In Ohio I get the same thing, until I got some Husky Liners.

Flash Gordon
02-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Are you wanting to know how to clean the carpets, or how to prevent them from getting in this condition?

I have an H2 I'm dealing with as we speak. This thing is a mess. I spent 5.5 hours just washing it yesterday :surrender:

jlb85
02-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Water first to dissolve the salt. No need to put on more chemicals until most of the salt is out. Use your shop vac and a sprayer bottle with hot tap water. Spray area and suck it up immediately with the vac (pseudo-extraction). Then, apply some med strength APC and brush. Repeat the vac, rinse, then final vac as dry as you can.

Kristopher1129
02-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Of course you can scrub the crap out of it, but that's gonna fray the carpet in most cases. Every time I see the crystalized salt, I hit it really quick with my pressure washer. I'm talking QUICK! Don't sit there blasting it, and pushing water down into the carpet. Just a quick pass, or two at point blank range. I've had great luck with that. Just make sure you vac it up right after.

If there's a little left over after you've done that...the heated extractor should definitely finish the job with ease.

Bear in mind, only use the pressure washer trick when the salt is on the heavy side. Most cases, the heated extractor will melt it right out of the carpet. :dblthumb2:

BobbyG
02-05-2011, 01:29 PM

BINGO! One of the best products available to keep the inside of your car clean...

dougaross
02-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Weather Tech floor liners are easy to clean. Pulled out liners covered with salt and dirt, cleaned with Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel in kitchen sink. Done in 15 minutes - look like new

oldmodman
02-05-2011, 04:09 PM

BINGO! One of the best products available to keep the inside of your car clean...

Weather Tech floor liners are easy to clean. Pulled out liners covered with salt and dirt, cleaned with Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel in kitchen sink. Done in 15 minutes - look like new

Absolutely!

If you or your clients live in a salted road area the carpets must be protected. Either the Weather tech type barrier protectors or just a cheap set of color matched floor matts. Then throw the cheapo carpet matts out when the weather turns nice.

You could even sell them to your clients when they bring their beautifully detailed vehicles in for the winter season prep.:xyxthumbs:

BillE
02-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Water first to dissolve the salt. No need to put on more chemicals until most of the salt is out. Use your shop vac and a sprayer bottle with hot tap water. Spray area and suck it up immediately with the vac (pseudo-extraction). Then, apply some med strength APC and brush. Repeat the vac, rinse, then final vac as dry as you can.

:iagree:

I do the very same thing.

Bill

dougaross
02-06-2011, 11:17 AM

For hard to dissolve salt. use ONR

rwisejr
02-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Another vote on the Weather Tech mats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kdude
02-06-2011, 03:18 PM
The weather tech aren't bad but there is no way they give 100% protection. Even with the tect mats the salt drips from the gas and brake pedals around the mats.. I hate the salt effect..

dougaross
02-06-2011, 03:33 PM
The weather tech aren't bad but there is no way they give 100% protection. Even with the tect mats the salt drips from the gas and brake pedals around the mats.. I hate the salt effect..
Not with WeatherTech floor liners