PDA

View Full Version : Boat polish and seal in cooler temps

rrrwel
02-05-2011, 10:02 AM
I have a larger boat that gets lifted and launched every spring. I've tried every product you could imagine thru the years. I'm always open to tring something new. The biggest challenge is the temperture I have to work with. Mostlty between 55 and 60 degrees.

Last few years I've used Gelcoat Labs products which work pretty good in those temps. I normally need to used their fine cut compound in the exposed areas and then follow up with their one step cleaner and polish, then a coat of the sealant on the entire boat.

I would like to try something new this year. I'm looking at maybe using 3M color/gloss restorer-09089 or the 3M rubbing compound-09004, or the 3M Finesse-It II Glaze in place of the fine cut, I don't know which one would be equivanlant to Gelcoat Labs fine cut. So I'm looking for a bit of guidance here. I was then thinking of follwowing up with the Klasse all in one and then the Klasse sealant.

Does anyone how the Klasse works in the cooler temps? Also any other suggestions would be welcome. I've already tried Collinite and it's too difficult to work with at those temps.

ScottB
02-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Klasse twins is cool ... Rejex might be another option.

Kristopher1129
02-05-2011, 01:32 PM
I have a sealant I use on all fiberglass jobs. Don't know if anyone has had experience with this stuff...But I absolutely love it. I only do boats, and RVs in the spring, summer, and sometimes the fall.

The company is called Araex, and the product is Ocean Polymer. The spread, and pass time you get with this stuff is awesome. It works especially well in warm weather. It protects just as well as it performs. I have multiple customers I see once a year, and that stuff is still pretty solid on there.

For some reason...Araex isn't supposed to be sold in New Hampshire. Don't know why this is. But, I still get one of my distributors to sneak it to me! Don't tell anyone, I'll kill you. :bat:

RobZ71LM7
02-05-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm surprised Collinite is difficult for you in those temps. I'd be careful with Klasse SG on a large, light colored boat. It must be applied thin and that can be difficult on a light colored gelcoat. I'm assuming by large boat we're talking 40'ish and light colored gelcoat. Anyways Klasse shouldn't be an issue in those temps. I used Collinite (wax/seal) and Meguiar's Marine/RV blue bottle (compound/polish) products on boats this size when I used to detail them. I'm planning on trying BFWD and Wolfgang sealer this spring on our fish 'n ski and my waverunner.

dougaross
02-05-2011, 09:40 PM
There is Duragloss Marine & RV Polish #501 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-marine-rv-polish--501.html)

master detailer
02-06-2011, 08:22 AM
I have a sealant I use on all fiberglass jobs. Don't know if anyone has had experience with this stuff...But I absolutely love it. I only do boats, and RVs in the spring, summer, and sometimes the fall.

The company is called Araex, and the product is Ocean Polymer. The spread, and pass time you get with this stuff is awesome. It works especially well in warm weather. It protects just as well as it performs. I have multiple customers I see once a year, and that stuff is still pretty solid on there.

For some reason...Araex isn't supposed to be sold in New Hampshire. Don't know why this is. But, I still get one of my distributors to sneak it to me! Don't tell anyone, I'll kill you. :bat:
do you mean ardex ?

master detailer
02-06-2011, 08:25 AM
jet seal 109 or rejex works good also. and 95% of all my work is on boats here in sw fl . we love cool teps to work in . just dont get alot of them.

master detailer
02-06-2011, 08:27 AM
ardex has a 1000 grit that works good on boats that are not in bad cond.

Cheeseburger
05-05-2011, 09:39 PM
rrrwel,

My 30' has slight oxidation every year, I use a multi step process and get stunning results. I use Finesse-It with a blended wool polishing pad on a Makita rotary. (By the way I live in Michigan so i am dealing with 50 deg temps too.)

Finesse-It will put a hell of a shine on the gel coat. A couple guys I know will warm the Finesse-It by a portable heater. They say it helps but I didn't notice a big difference.

To add deep gloss and luster I apply Meguiars Boat/RV Polish, wipe on and wipe off before it drys.

Most guys in my boat yard will call it good with Finesse-It and wax. Some others will apply the Finesse-It and Meguiars's Polish then wax.

I go one more step and after I have applied the Meguiar's Polish I also apply Chemical Guys Vertu-Bond 408 (VERTUA BOND 408 - BONDING AGENT GLOSS ENHANCER SPEED BONDAGE ACCELERATOR (http://www.chemicalguys.com/VERTUA_BOND_408_BONDING_AGENT_GLOSS_ENHANCER_SPE_p/gap_107_16.htm)). This prepares the surface for the top coat and adds amazing gloss and luster. I use a blended wool polishing pad on the Makita for this also.

Finally I apply Ardex Ocean Polymer Sealant. I have used Collonite Fleetwax, 3M Liquid Wax, Meguiars Flagship, Meguiars Polymer Sealant, Meguiars Synthetic Sealant, Wizzards Paint Sealant, Pro Polish...etc. Ocean Polymer delivers the best shine I have seen.....period! I have to tell you that I am experimenting with the Ocean Polymer as this is my first year using it. I can't comment on the durability personally, but I can tell you that I saw a boat today that was done with Ocean Polymer two seasons ago and it looked great. If you are not ready to try the Ocean Polymer I would stick with the Collonite Fleetwax.

If you have trouble getting the last bit of Collonite off try misting it with Meguiars Final Inspection. It helps to remove stubborn wax.

I hope this helps, BTW my boat is a 1987 and guys with 2007's want to know what I use and I tell them Coppertone 50! Ha!