PDA

View Full Version : 1st time detailing- my shopping list

Jayjp04
02-04-2011, 04:26 PM
So after spending a few hours reading on autogeek, I have compiled my shopping list. I am sticking to mostly products I can get locally, and ones that are generally lower priced. If anyone has any comments/suggestions, feel free to share!

Car shampoo- meguiar's gold class shampoo/conditioner
Car wax- eagle one nano-wax (paste or spray)
Wheel cleaner- eagle one
Wheel protectant- nu-finish liquid
Headlight cleaner- 3m plastic cleaner and plastic polish (is one better than the other, or do you need both?)

and lastly, the quart foammaster foam gun from autogeek. I know...maybe not necessary, but looks fun and I can use one less bucket this way : )

embolism
02-04-2011, 08:31 PM
what are you using for compound and polish?

I would recommend megs ultimate compound and ultimate polish

and wax get collinite 845 it's all you need

bhrees
02-04-2011, 11:09 PM
that foammaster does look like a nice add to the garage

billbillw
02-05-2011, 09:06 AM
You didn't mention the make, age, or color of the car. If it is a dark color and the car is more than a year or two old, I suspect you will not be happy without some amount of polishing. You also need to be extremely careful not to add more swirl marks (microfiber is your friend). Read up on the different techniques here.

BTW, you might be able to find the Gold Class car wash on clearance at Walmart. I stocked up a couple months ago when I found the big bottle for only $3 each. They had a whole shelf full at that price.

If you need to polish, you can usually find some of the consumer Meguiars stuff locally (ultimate compound/ultimate polish)

Don't forget to stock up on microfiber cloths (guzzler for drying, others for detailing)

There are some great deals on microfibers in the 2 for 1 section right now.

Setec Astronomy
02-05-2011, 09:12 AM
BTW, you might be able to find the Gold Class car wash on clearance at Walmart. I stocked up a couple months ago when I found the big bottle for only $3 each. They had a whole shelf full at that price.

Hey, the good news is I did the same thing! The bad news is now I have a bunch of Gold Class car wash!

billbillw
02-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Hey, the good news is I did the same thing! The bad news is now I have a bunch of Gold Class car wash!

I like the stuff. Makes great suds, nice smell, gentle on the finish. What would you rather be using?

Setec Astronomy
02-05-2011, 09:51 AM
I like the stuff. Makes great suds, nice smell, gentle on the finish. What would you rather be using?

What you say is true, I just find it streaks more than some others (although I don't really like the smell of GC...give me NXT!)

Old Tiger
02-05-2011, 11:32 AM
If you want a great product line OTC try Duragloss 105 and 601.

Jayjp04
02-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Car is white, 2004 with a clear coat. Thanks for the tips. I think I do need a polish too...I will look for the meguiars and see if i can find it locally.

BobbyG
02-05-2011, 04:19 PM
:welcome: To Autogeek Jay!

The products you mentioned are over the counter and work OK. Something else that can be bought locally is Mothers products. Personally, I prefer Mothers to Eagle and I'd add a Clay and spray lube to your list and use it according to directions after you wash.

Here's a link to the Mothers product that are available.

Mothers Car Care Products include Mothers car polishes, Mothers wax, Mothers polish & cleaners (http://www.autogeek.net/motpol.html)

If you do decide to do some paint correction do "it" between Cal and Wax

Wash
Clay
Polish
Wax