PDA

View Full Version : MG105 with the PC...not a fan so far!

Pages : [1] 2

Kristopher1129
02-04-2011, 03:35 PM
I just wanted to run something by you guys real quick. I bought the Meguiars and PC kit a while back. I've used MG105 before, and loved it. But, I always used the Makita and a wool pad. After reading all these positive things about the PC and 105...I figured what the hell...why not try it out.

I gotta say. I'm not getting anywhere near the results with 105 using the PC. As a matter ah fact...I think it blows, haha. I've tried on 3 different occasions now, only to be brought right back to my Makita which worked quickly and flawlessly.

Am I doing something wrong? Or does the Makita and a wool pad just kick that much ass? Cause I cannot for the life of me get 105 to work with the PC. I've been using the Maroon cutting Meguiars pad with the 105. Just like it says to do. I don't get it!

Today was a perfect example. I had some really bad scratches and scuffs to take out. I wet sanded with 2000 grit like usual. Then normally, at this point I would bust out the Makita with a wool pad and 105 and get the 2000 grit scratches right out.

Instead, I picked up the PC and the maroon pad with 105. Went over it two different times. Did about 3 passes up and down, 3 passes left and right SLOWLY both times. The wet sand scratches were still there!!! At that point, I grabbed the Makita and a wool pad...and BOOM, gone in probably 10 seconds. What the heck!?

How are you guys getting out scratches with this thing?? I'm thinking it's gotta be my pad. Should I use a wool pad on the PC?

Rsurfer
02-04-2011, 03:46 PM
I just wanted to run something by you guys real quick. I bought the Meguiars and PC kit a while back. I've used MG105 before, and loved it. But, I always used the Makita and a wool pad. After reading all these positive things about the PC and 105...I figured what the hell...why not try it out.

I gotta say. I'm not getting anywhere near the results with 105 using the PC. As a matter ah fact...I think it blows, haha. I've tried on 3 different occasions now, only to be brought right back to my Makita which worked quickly and flawlessly.

Am I doing something wrong? Or does the Makita and a wool pad just kick that much ass? Cause I cannot for the life of me get 105 to work with the PC. I've been using the Maroon cutting Meguiars pad with the 105. Just like it says to do. I don't get it!

Today was a perfect example. I had some really bad scratches and scuffs to take out. I wet sanded with 2000 grit like usual. Then normally, at this point I would bust out the Makita with a wool pad and 105 and get the 2000 grit scratches right out.

Instead, I picked up the PC and the maroon pad with 105. Went over it two different times. Did about 3 passes up and down, 3 passes left and right SLOWLY both times. The wet sand scratches were still there!!! At that point, I grabbed the Makita and a wool pad...and BOOM, gone in probably 10 seconds. What the heck!?

How are you guys getting out scratches with this thing?? I'm thinking it's gotta be my pad. Should I use a wool pad on the PC?
A wool pad on a pc will not work, but a purple foam wool will. Try getting a flat 5.5" flat lc pad and prime the whole pad with 105 before polishing. You will see a difference.

Kristopher1129
02-04-2011, 03:58 PM
A wool pad on a pc will not work, but a purple foam wool will. Try getting a flat 5.5" flat lc pad and prime the whole pad with 105 before polishing. You will see a difference.

I'll have to try that out. Will it work as fast as the Makita with a wool pad? Cause it works FAST.

93fox
02-04-2011, 04:48 PM
I'll have to try that out. Will it work as fast as the Makita with a wool pad? Cause it works FAST.
i doubt it bro! i know what a makita and a wool pad does! its just insane how fast it works! ive wetsanded to remove all orange peel out and then proceeded with my makita and a wool pad, and two passes of 105 brought out some insane shine, and i wasent even at 205 yet! :D

Fly bye
02-04-2011, 04:54 PM
No.

2old2change
02-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Try a surbuf pad and the da with 105 for wet sand marks , Its good but still not quicker than a makita , just safer in the hands of the average hobby detailer.

wrxwagon
02-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Try a surbuf pad and the da with 105 for wet sand marks , Its good but still not quicker than a makita , just safer in the hands of the average hobby detailer.
:iagree:if you are proficient with the makita I wouldn't mess with removing wetsanding marks with the PC. There are little things you can do to make the PC cut better but you won't touch the speed of the makita even if you are able to get the same end result.

Are you using the a 7424XP or the original 7424?

Kristopher1129
02-04-2011, 05:50 PM
:iagree:if you are proficient with the makita I wouldn't mess with removing wetsanding marks with the PC. There are little things you can do to make the PC cut better but you won't touch the speed of the makita even if you are able to get the same end result.

Are you using the a 7424XP or the original 7424?

I'm using the XP. I really only bought it to apply wax and sealant. Plus when I do RVs it will come in really handy. I'm sticking with the Makita. I just don't see the point in buying stuff to make the PC work with wetsand scratches. I highly doubt anything I could possibly buy would be even close to what the Makita does. I figured I'd give it a fair shot though. FAIL! lol

I was curious to see if it would work though mainly because I'll be adding a mobile crew this spring. Would have been nice to be able to hand my exterior guy the PC and have him do some correction. Him having the PC wouldn't make me as nervous. I think corrections will be done at the shop only. :dblthumb2:

feslope
02-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Am I doing something wrong? Or does the Makita and a wool pad just kick that much ass? Yes it does.

93fox
02-04-2011, 06:29 PM
by the way kristopher, what wool pad do you use with the makita?

A4 1.8tqm
02-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Hey, you got rotary skills, nothin' wrong with that! Use the PC for LSP application and finishing work on finicky paint that is hard to get hologram free with the rotary. No surprise that the rotary/wool corrects faster than the PC/foam, who wants to compound with a "free floating spindle assembly" anyway? LOL

Kristopher1129
02-04-2011, 07:02 PM
by the way kristopher, what wool pad do you use with the makita?

Just a white wool pad. I get them from Malco. Seems to do the trick on everything.

Kristopher1129
02-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Hey, you got rotary skills, nothin' wrong with that! Use the PC for LSP application and finishing work on finicky paint that is hard to get hologram free with the rotary. No surprise that the rotary/wool corrects faster than the PC/foam, who wants to compound with a "free floating spindle assembly" anyway? LOL

That's what I plan on doing. PC just for wax and sealant, or like you said stubborn paint. I learned my lesson, haha.

I guess going from rotary to orbital is a bad transition, ha. :buffing:

SeaJay's
02-04-2011, 08:38 PM
A lot of people say that it's very hard (if not impossible) to get out wetsanding marks with a PC. I'm sure it can be done in some instances but everyone says that using a rotary is definitely the quickest and easiest way to do it. So, sounds like you've been doing it right all along.

Kristopher1129
02-04-2011, 09:57 PM
I guess so. I just figured it was worth a shot to see. I've seen videos and stuff of people getting scratches out...but more like microscratches. I'm actually uncomfortable with the PC to be honest. I've been using the Makita for everything for so long...that the PC is just an alien to me, ha.:dblthumb2:

I'm actually going to start a new thread with the scratches I worked on today so you guys can check it out! :Picture: