PDA

View Full Version : THIS is why I hate dealing with auction vehicles!!

Pages : [1] 2

Kristopher1129
02-03-2011, 04:08 PM
I agreed to start doing work for a guy who does a lot of auctions. Only because he's gonna bring me a lot of work, and he doesn't mind paying up for the nasty ones. So far so good. I did a cadillac with white vinyl, and white leather yesterday. Thing was a mess inside.

So, I spend most my time inside the car cleaning up all the leather, vinyl, and carpeting as that was his main concern. Just did a wash, quick clay, and one step buff on the exterior. $150 for that...not too bad. If that was a regular customer, he would have dished out a good $250-$300 or so.

But, the battery was completely dead and wouldn't even take a jump. I did manage to jump it to get it inside. It died quickly after that. If you know Cadillacs...a dead battery makes it a pain in the ass to detail. Every thing is electric. So, I couldn't put the windows down to do the top, the truck wouldn't close all the way, and the seats wouldn't move!! Pain in the ass!

So, he was really happy with it anyways. Brings me another one, I finished it. Go to call him to swap out another one. Can't get a hold of this guy to save my soul! Voicemail is always full. Then he tells me he has another one...but doesn't know when it will be here, ha. I've got two regulars scheduled tomorrow, and two saturday. So, the true test is coming. That test is, how will he take being put on the back burner to regulars!? Should be interesting, ha.

This is always my problem with auction guys, and dealerships. They want to be first, and want it done yesterday. This guy has actually been really laid back so far. We'll see. :cheers:

Mike Phillips
02-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Way to hang in there...

Lets hope all your deals with him are Win/Win!

:xyxthumbs:

Bates Detailing
02-03-2011, 04:14 PM
This is always my problem with auction guys, and dealerships. They want to be first, and want it done yesterday. This guy has actually been really laid back so far. We'll see. :cheers:

If he has been happy so far I don't think he would have a problem. Last week with the 16 Rv's , then 2 days later 31 Rvs, then the next day 2 Rvs - I had to call one of my best clients and "ask" if he was in a HUGE hurry to get 2 buses done that he tossed me...... he said not really and understood completely that my manpower was tapped out. I always go out of my way to do rush jobs for him so he can flip a bus - so he was super cool to let these slide for a week..... So keep him happy and he should be fine with this situation happens.:dblthumb2:

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
02-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Good luck! I think he should understand that you have a business other than him if he is a reasonable person.

Kristopher1129
02-03-2011, 05:10 PM
He seems cool about it so far. A customer that was scheduled for tomorrow actually already dropped their vehicle off. So I quickly got it washed and inside. I can at least finish the interior. That way I can probably squeeze that other auction vehicle in tomorrow.

Actually, after taking a look at it...he might be getting it back saturday, haha. It's pretty bad. The one I'm doing now isn't bad at all though. Maybe I can bust it out tonight! Better get my cape out, ha.:dblthumb2:

Bates Detailing
02-03-2011, 05:12 PM
He seems cool about it so far. A customer that was scheduled for tomorrow actually already dropped their vehicle off. So I quickly got it washed and inside. I can at least finish the interior. That way I can probably squeeze that other auction vehicle in tomorrow.

Actually, after taking a look at it...he might be getting it back saturday, haha. It's pretty bad. The one I'm doing now isn't bad at all though. Maybe I can bust it out tonight! Better get my cape out, ha.:dblthumb2:

Good thing you are staying busy though man - - - - - that's way better than sweeping the shop floor all day long!

AeroCleanse
02-03-2011, 05:31 PM
If you have something already on the books then you just have to tell him he has to wait.

RaskyR1
02-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Anytime your working on an interior for a long period of time it's a good idea to put a charger on the battery. The 30 seconds it takes to hook it up can save you a lot of time in the end. ;)

Having worked with car jockeys for the last 19 years now I can understand where you are coming from. :D

Rhudeboye
02-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Doesn't sound like a bad situation to me. Your work is appreciated and your in demand. I'm thinking this guy already realizes this.

Kristopher1129
02-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Good thing you are staying busy though man - - - - - that's way better than sweeping the shop floor all day long!

Yeah it is! I actually have 4 lined up right now that need to get done. I'm happy to be busy right now. I had a couple weeks of cabin fever there for a minute.

The snow was killing me! I think people were putting it off cause of the snow. But now, there's just no option. It just keeps snowing, haha. So, why the hell not get it done right? :dblthumb2:

Kristopher1129
02-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Doesn't sound like a bad situation to me. Your work is appreciated and your in demand. I'm thinking this guy already realizes this.

Yeah, he's actually pretty laid back about it. He's appreciative, and has not once tried to haggle my price. So, I may have found the very first auction guy I can actually work with! lol :dblthumb2:

Kristopher1129
02-03-2011, 08:44 PM
If you have something already on the books then you just have to tell him he has to wait.

I like to not even say that, and just hope I get it done before I have to mention it, haha.

Kristopher1129
02-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Anytime your working on an interior for a long period of time it's a good idea to put a charger on the battery. The 30 seconds it takes to hook it up can save you a lot of time in the end. ;)

Having worked with car jockeys for the last 19 years now I can understand where you are coming from. :D

I usually do. But, for some reason...probably the cold weather. My battery pack stopped taking a charge. I actually found that out yesterday when I tried to use it, and it was completely dead. Just gotta get another one.

Flash Gordon
02-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Go to call him to swap out another one. Can't get a hold of this guy to save my soul! Voicemail is always full. :cheers:

Be sure this guy pays you after each vehicle. Someone who doesn't answer their phone and always has a mailbox that is full, has always proved to be a deadbeat around these parts

Don't fall for his super cool persona either...remember, he makes his living selling used cars :cheers:

Kristopher1129
02-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Be sure this guy pays you after each vehicle. Someone who doesn't answer their phone and always has a mailbox that is full, has always proved to be a deadbeat around these parts

Don't fall for his super cool persona either...remember, he makes his living selling used cars :cheers:

Oh I know. I was all over that. I left his vehicles in the shop until he paid up. I had issues years ago getting a guy to pay for a couple vehicles I did. Won't happen again, that's for sure. Vehicles must be paid for before they leave, no questions asked.

I used to let certain customers pay up after 2 or 3 were done. Not anymore! :nomore: