PDA

View Full Version : Holograms!!

Pages : [1] 2

93fox
02-02-2011, 10:46 PM
I just walked by my car i buffed out and noticed some holograms. Its the first time ive buffed so im still trying to learn! I have a makita along with some meguiars 105/205! Now my question is, whats the best way to get rid of holograms? Is there an article i can read where it shows how to get rid of them? Or any of you who have comed across this, what would be the best way to get rid of them? Any help is great! Thanks!

Fly bye
02-02-2011, 10:49 PM
PC

Kristopher1129
02-02-2011, 11:20 PM
I agree. Just take an orbital and some sealant or wax. Should be enough to remove anything left behind by 205. Although, you shouldn't be leaving anything behind with 205. You may have to change your pad when using it next time. :dblthumb2:

93fox
02-02-2011, 11:50 PM
I agree. Just take an orbital and some sealant or wax. Should be enough to remove anything left behind by 205. Although, you shouldn't be leaving anything behind with 205. You may have to change your pad when using it next time. :dblthumb2:
when i buffed it out i had very poor lighting, it looked good, but now i see some minimum holograms! the thing is that i only have my makita as of this moment and cant buy a DA polisher... anything i can do to fix it with my makita?

Kristopher1129
02-03-2011, 12:01 AM
when i buffed it out i had very poor lighting, it looked good, but now i see some minimum holograms! the thing is that i only have my makita as of this moment and cant buy a DA polisher... anything i can do to fix it with my makita?

I use my Makita for practically everything. I'm guessing the holograms can't be THAT bad if you're last step was 205.

It sounds like it could use another polish with a soft finishing pad. Go over it again with your softest pad, and whatever polish you have. Then throw some wax, or sealant on...you should be good. :dblthumb2:

JonMiles
02-03-2011, 12:15 AM
I just walked by my car i buffed out and noticed some holograms. Its the first time ive buffed so im still trying to learn! I have a makita along with some meguiars 105/205! Now my question is, whats the best way to get rid of holograms? Is there an article i can read where it shows how to get rid of them? Or any of you who have comed across this, what would be the best way to get rid of them? Any help is great! Thanks!

Try another pass with a black lc pad. You should be able to remove the holograms pretty easily.

93fox
02-03-2011, 12:27 AM
I use my Makita for practically everything. I'm guessing the holograms can't be THAT bad if you're last step was 205.

It sounds like it could use another polish with a soft finishing pad. Go over it again with your softest pad, and whatever polish you have. Then throw some wax, or sealant on...you should be good. :dblthumb2:
I have a soft finishing pad! would some po85rd do the trick?

Kristopher1129
02-03-2011, 01:09 AM
I have a soft finishing pad! would some po85rd do the trick?

Absolutely. Just keep your rpms low, you don't wanna create heat. A nice slow polish with some 85rd should absolutely do the trick. You will need to apply wax or sealant after for protection. Good luck :dblthumb2:

93fox
02-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Absolutely. Just keep your rpms low, you don't wanna create heat. A nice slow polish with some 85rd should absolutely do the trick. You will need to apply wax or sealant after for protection. Good luck :dblthumb2:

Ok buddy i will follow your tip! Ill follow it up with some wax! Thanks alot for taking the time to actually explain!

Mike Phillips
02-03-2011, 08:12 AM

And whenever you can hold the pad flat to the surface. Light pressure with your last cover passes with pretty much just the weight of the machine.

Also... very important... clean your pad after each section you buff. You need to remove any built-up and spent product before working with fresh product.

Make sure the paint surfaces are surgically clean and don't buff to a dry buff, you should always have a wet film of product on the surface.

Then wiping off residue with a clean, soft microfiber goes without saying...

:)

Kristopher1129
02-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Ok buddy i will follow your tip! Ill follow it up with some wax! Thanks alot for taking the time to actually explain!

No problem man. Throw Mikes tips in there as well :xyxthumbs:

93fox
02-03-2011, 06:15 PM
And whenever you can hold the pad flat to the surface. Light pressure with your last cover passes with pretty much just the weight of the machine.

Also... very important... clean your pad after each section you buff. You need to remove any built-up and spent product before working with fresh product.

Make sure the paint surfaces are surgically clean and don't buff to a dry buff, you should always have a wet film of product on the surface.

Then wiping off residue with a clean, soft microfiber goes without saying...

So what are the causes of holograms? A dirty pad? Dry product? Because lets say for instance i only have m105/m205... How can i leave a hologram free finish?

rfinkle2
02-03-2011, 06:21 PM
the edge of the pad / dry buffing / etc. can cause those (holograms).

Do u have a da polisher? if so try the 205 w/ the softest pad you have.

Kristopher1129
02-03-2011, 08:30 PM
So what are the causes of holograms? A dirty pad? Dry product? Because lets say for instance i only have m105/m205... How can i leave a hologram free finish?

A lot of things can cause holograms. Buffing at too high of a speed, aggressive pad, dirty pad, improper claying, etc etc.

Buffing hologram free is just one of those things that comes with practice I think. Of course you could nail it on the first try. But, it doesn't always work that way. Certain products work better with certain pads, at certain speeds. Sometimes it's just trial and error before you find what works best for you. :dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
02-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Some paints are more polishable than others, some are not... so sometimes it's not about yo, your skill your products, it's just hard to do.

Clear coats are scratch-sensitive, that is they are easily scratched. Having a pad rotating against it tends to impart very shallow circular swirls that are called rotary buffer swirls, rotary buffer trails or holograms.