PDA

View Full Version : Questions about 845

Pages : [1] 2

VW 91
02-02-2011, 04:07 PM
I'm doing a car tonight and I am going to be using 845 as an LSP. I tried searching but couldnt find a good answer, could I add a second coat to get more even coverage right after I finish applying the first coat? Or even half an hour after? Also, could I top it with another wax right after, say DP maxwax.

Dr Oldz
02-02-2011, 04:42 PM
I personally wait for a second coat for 12 hours since it is a hybrid.

VW 91
02-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I personally wait for a second coat for 12 hours since it is a hybrid.

Hybrid as in it has sealant qualities to it?

dougaross
02-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Hybrid as in it has sealant qualities to it?

yes. I am sure that in an article posted Mike Phillips it was described that way

BobbyG
02-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Collinite 845 is one of those hidden jewels that once discovered will amaze you time and time again! :props:

I always recommend applying sealants and waxes with a dual action polisher like the Porter Cable 7424. Since I've been applying sealants and waxes using this polisher I've found that all the products go on evenly providing adequate and complete coverage.

Apply it using a blue or red Lake Country pad at speed 3. Use a crisscross pattern overlapping each pass working the wax into the paint.

Collinite 845 can be reapplied but I'd suggest waiting overnight before adding a second coat. Remember, Collinite 845 is a wipe on wipe off wax, no need to let haze.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/Collinite845.jpg

dougaross
02-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Collinite 845 is one of those hidden jewels that once discovered will amaze you time and time again! :props:

I always recommend applying sealants and waxes with a dual action polisher like the Porter Cable 7424. Since I've been applying sealants and waxes using this polisher I've found that all the products go on evenly providing adequate and complete coverage.

Apply it using a blue or red Lake Country pad at speed 3. Use a crisscross pattern overlapping each pass working the wax into the paint.

Collinite 845 can be reapplied but I'd suggest waiting overnight before adding a second coat. Remember, Collinite 845 is a wipe on wipe off wax, no need to let haze.

Label directions say let dry to haze. This may be moot since it is applied so thin that I can't tell if has hazed or not. Personally, I wait for the time it takes me to the next panel then I go back and wipe it off.

VW 91
02-02-2011, 05:36 PM
yes. I am sure that in an article posted Mike Phillips it was described that way

I haven't seen or read the article, but thanks for the info! :props:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/Collinite845.jpg

No need to inform me of the greatness that is Collinite 845, I've used many times, with a blue pad on speed 3 too! Just that all the times I've used it I have done only coat, and was thinking of possibly doing a second coat. Time will not allow me to do a second coat on this particular job, but with 845 applied with the PC, im sure 1 coat will suffice as usual. :xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
02-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Label directions say let dry to haze. This may be moot since it is applied so thin that I can't tell if has hazed or not. Personally, I wait for the time it takes me to the next panel then I go back and wipe it off.

I'll bet you're right!

It's application is so thin that it's basically hazed once I'm through that it can be buffed immediately.

This is from the Collinite page on Autogeek.

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845, liquid wax, heat-resistant wax, car wax (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html)

To apply by machine: work at a low speed with no pressure since you are simply applying a product. Use a microfiber bonnet over a lambswool pad to remove Insulator Wax. Apply wax to one section at a time, wait 30 seconds, and then buff.

I generally do an entire panel too and by the time I buff it off I'll bet 15 minutes or so goes by. :props:

dougaross
02-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Do you remove by hand? I find it to bothersome to fool around changing pads/bonnets so I remove by hand.

GaDetailDoc
02-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Do you remove by hand? I find it to bothersome to fool around changing pads/bonnets so I remove by hand.
Remove by hand. For sticky areas just mist it with a quick detailer.

D_Nyholm
02-03-2011, 04:23 PM
I've never had the need to put a second coat on, it spreads so well and is easy to see where it is/was. Personally, i would maybe recommend using it every 3 months if you want to get protection since that would almost guarantee total coverage since it lasts MUCH longer than 3 months.

SeaJay's
02-03-2011, 06:14 PM

I always apply via my DA and hand wipe off. I practice this with all my LSP.

rfinkle2
02-03-2011, 06:17 PM
There is so much solvent in that wax, i am not sure that you could "layer" it.

dougaross
02-03-2011, 07:07 PM
There is so much solvent in that wax, i am not sure that you could "layer" it.
The collinite people say it can be layered. But probably need to let it cure

BobbyG
02-03-2011, 07:45 PM

Yes, I do. I remove all my sealants and waxes using a couple of Microfiber towels; one to wipe and the other to buff for a glossy shine...