PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Best Way to Fix This?

Pages : [1] 2

Josh@BR
02-02-2011, 08:42 AM
I don't ever come across wheels this bad but when I do vigorous scrubbing with pure wheel cleaner concentrate doesn't do anything. I'm pretty sure a wire brush will scratch the clear coat pretty bad. I know this is caused from brake dust just sitting on the clear and becoming corrosive while exposed to heat. My question is what's the best and most cost effective way to fix this. Thank you!

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n548/BeyondReflectionsAutoDetailing/Mobile%20Photos/IMAG0053.jpg

Setec Astronomy
02-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Acid wheel cleaner will be the easiest--you could try clay but it will be hard to get down into that corner.

Josh@BR
02-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Cool thank you! Does anyone know if AG sells any popular acid based wheel cleaners?

Crazy Amos
02-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Check out this thread real quick, just so you know what you are getting into.

Acid is nasty stuff and I really think you should explore all other possibilities like the clay or some compound with a powerball first.

But, to be completely honest acid would be the "quickest". Kinda a quick and dirty approach, but sometimes that is all that works.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/32154-wheel-acid-not-always-bad-thing-still-hate-though.html

Setec Astronomy
02-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Ok, since tfuller brought it up...I sometimes get accused of being a weanie for decrying HF-based wheel cleaners. Many acid wheel cleaners are HF (hydrofluoric acid) based. Many will say they are not HF when in fact they contain a close relative, ammonium bifluoride. I would really discourage people from using these types of wheel cleaners, unless they have the proper chemicals to neutralize the HF.

There ARE non-HF acid wheel cleaners, and they don't work as well. Meg's used to have a citric acid-based that really didn't do much. I have been using a Valugard product that is non-HF acid that works pretty well.

I agree with tfuller that trying a plastic razor blade or clay or some compound on a polishing bob or what-have-you is worth a try. Hey..wait a minnit...sorry I didn't think of this...here's a safe(er) wheel cleaner that may do the trick! SONAX Wheel Cleaner, all wheel cleaner, chrome wheel cleaner, aluminum wheel cleaner, full effect wheel cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-wheel-cleaner.html) I really haven't had too much luck with it for etched-in brake dust, but it's worth a shot...maybe in combination with a plastic blade and a brush...

Josh@BR
02-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the info guys! I was checking out the P21S gel that they say you can leave sit on wheels for a very long time. Maybe it could break it down if I leave it sit on there for a day lol

Scott DeBrun
02-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Griots makes a wheel clay bar you may want to look into that as well.

john F
02-02-2011, 10:24 AM
After my drive down here from New York, my wheels were in bad shape. Not as bad as this but pretty close. I had some good luck with the Griot's Wheel Clay. It requires some elbow grease but it got the job done.

I never really gave anything else a try like leaving a cleaner on for a long time. I would definitely give the Sonax Full Effect a try before stepping up to a harsh acid.

Setec Astronomy
02-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the info guys! I was checking out the P21S gel that they say you can leave sit on wheels for a very long time. Maybe it could break it down if I leave it sit on there for a day lol

I wouldn't have too much hope that P21 is going to break that down. I'd try that Sonax, clay, plastic razor blade, and some time. Make sure to put some sealant on them when you get them clean and try to clean them regularly (just car wash soap should be ok after you get them clean and sealed, maybe at a little extra strength).

BobbyG
02-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Hey Josh,

From here it does looks like brake dust. What may have happened it the dust particles became so hot they may have become embedded into the clear coat. While it may be possible to dislodge some you might find that the wheel needs to be refinished in order to completely repair it damage.

Setec Astronomy
02-02-2011, 10:36 AM
While it may be possible to dislodge some you might find that the wheel needs to be refinished in order to completely repair it damage.

Yeah, that too. There's a corrosive effect from the brake dust and galvanic action that can occur between the ferrous brake dust particles and the aluminum wheels...which tends to pit the paint and etch the aluminum...so after you remove that stuff the finish may not look perfect underneath.

Josh@BR
02-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Hey Josh,

From here it does looks like brake dust. What may have happened it the dust particles became so hot they may have become embedded into the clear coat. While it may be possible to dislodge some you might find that the wheel needs to be refinished in order to completely repair it damage.

Yeah I figured the clear coat has been damaged already but anything to make the dark black dust particles less noticeable would be great. I hate having to explain to customers why I'm unable to fix or clean the wheels perfectly. I know its not my fault or anything but its very noticeabe(to me at least) and looks like I did a half ass job on the wheels.

VW 91
02-02-2011, 04:14 PM

This is what I would do. Spray some P21S wheel gel on there for maybe 3-4 hours and then scrub the wheel again and see if it removed. I worked on some pretty bad old BMW rims with some caked on brake dust. It didnt come clean 100%, but the results were pretty substantial and the P21S was only dwelling for about 45 minutes. Here is a before and after.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p377/bene36m3/E30%20318is/DSC06698.jpg

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p377/bene36m3/E30%20318is/DSC06839.jpg

Josh@BR
02-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks VW 91 I may give that a try then. I have noticed that older BMW and SAAB wheels have this problem a good bit.

rwright
02-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Ok, since tfuller brought it up...I sometimes get accused of being a weanie for decrying HF-based wheel cleaners. Many acid wheel cleaners are HF (hydrofluoric acid) based. Many will say they are not HF when in fact they contain a close relative, ammonium bifluoride. I would really discourage people from using these types of wheel cleaners, unless they have the proper chemicals to neutralize the HF.

There ARE non-HF acid wheel cleaners, and they don't work as well. Meg's used to have a citric acid-based that really didn't do much. I have been using a Valugard product that is non-HF acid that works pretty well.

I agree with tfuller that trying a plastic razor blade or clay or some compound on a polishing bob or what-have-you is worth a try. Hey..wait a minnit...sorry I didn't think of this...here's a safe(er) wheel cleaner that may do the trick! SONAX Wheel Cleaner, all wheel cleaner, chrome wheel cleaner, aluminum wheel cleaner, full effect wheel cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-wheel-cleaner.html) I really haven't had too much luck with it for etched-in brake dust, but it's worth a shot...maybe in combination with a plastic blade and a brush...

What about a wheel cleaner that contains a low amount (1-3%) of 2 Butoxy Ethanol and Oxalic Acid with a pH 2-3 rating?