PDA

View Full Version : Waxing with a Rotary?

bus3
02-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm curious if anyone uses a rotary polisher to apply waxes and sealants? I have read a few posts and people recomend using the porter cable DA. Let me know if anyone has used a rotary like the new Flex PE-14 or similar to apply sealants or waxes and if you get the same results as using a DA type polisher.

Thanks

Rsurfer
02-01-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm curious if anyone uses a rotary polisher to apply waxes and sealants? I have read a few posts and people recomend using the porter cable DA. Let me know if anyone has used a rotary like the new Flex PE-14 or similar to apply sealants or waxes and if you get the same results as using a DA type polisher.

ThanksIMO using a rotary @ 600rpm is over doing it. I personally like to apply waxes/sealants by hand, but others like to use a DA. BTW welcome to AG.

Kristopher1129
02-01-2011, 05:53 PM
I have used a rotary with Malcos Glaze II many times. Although, this isn't a practice I would recommend doing typically. BUT, in this case. With Glaze II, I find it to be a great one step polish/wax. One step products are great for doing a large volume of cars. I use this process on a lot of government, and auction vehicles. Or, for anyone who buys a particular package.

But again, I wouldn't recommend this way to apply wax or sealant. The product I use is a glaze polish with wax in it as well. It's meant to be able to use a rotary with it. The great thing about it also, is that you can spread it on the entire vehicle...then just start buffing where you started applying and fly through a vehicle. I use a yellow pad, and it takes out minor scratches and scuffs, and leaves no swirls at all. This is after clay of course.

As for just taking plain wax, or sealant off with it...I would stay away from that. If you can find a good one step product similar to Glaze II...then it's fine. IMO of course :dblthumb2:

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
02-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Waxes and sealants should either be applied by hand or with a DA polisher on a low setting. A rotary is over doing it, at any speed. Do you have a DA?

fredcandetail
02-01-2011, 06:16 PM
call me but I jewel the paint with my rotary at various speeds ... with a finishing pad of course.

Rsurfer
02-01-2011, 06:30 PM
call me but I jewel the paint with my rotary at various speeds ... with a finishing pad of course.Nothing wrong in jeweling with a rotary. I jewel with 85rd and Ultrafina at 1800 rpm all the time. The OP was asking about waxing, which I would not do with a rotary.

bus3
02-01-2011, 07:22 PM
I currently do not have a DA. I'm looking into getting one soon though. The only detailing that I have done is by hand. Just looking to step it up a bit. I live in the midwest so I also was looking into getting a rotary for polishing snowmobile tunnels as well.

BTW what is Jeweling? I'm new to all of these terms.
Thanks for all the help!!!

GaDetailDoc
02-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Use a DA or apply by hand using a sponge applicator. Rotary introduces unnecessary heat and you are really not polishing.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
02-01-2011, 07:48 PM
I currently do not have a DA. I'm looking into getting one soon though. The only detailing that I have done is by hand. Just looking to step it up a bit. I live in the midwest so I also was looking into getting a rotary for polishing snowmobile tunnels as well.

BTW what is Jeweling? I'm new to all of these terms.
Thanks for all the help!!!

Jeweling is fine polishing with a rotary, finishing pad and finishing polish. Using pressure, speed and RPMs, you're able to "jewel" the finish to a high gloss.

Investing in a DA is a great choice. If you have never machine polished, a DA is a good place to start. Once you get a hang of that, then you can step up to a rotary.

VISITOR
02-01-2011, 07:54 PM
do it by hand and/or DA, using the rotary is like using a butcher knife to cut butter...

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
02-01-2011, 07:57 PM
do it by hand and/or DA, using the rotary is like using a butcher knife to cut butter...

What if the butter is frozen lol....or a very large block of butter?