PDA

View Full Version : Area Worse than Swirls on Vette

Pages : [1] 2

daverph
02-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Recently purchased my first, used '06 in emaculate shape except some issues
on the hood. There are quite a few swirl marks in the white paint but there are
3 ares the size of a business card that appear dull when looking at the correct
angle. When I run a finger over the areas it goes from slick to dull but does not
catch a fingernail. Considering buying a PorterCable to try and help with this and
to maintain all our cars, any hope for the Vettes hood or does it sound bad. Would
get pics but in middle of icestorm/blizzard here. Thanks

Setec Astronomy
02-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Sounds like bird poop etching. Hard to say if it's repairable, but at least it won't rust and on white it won't be as noticeable. Vette clear is really hard, you might want to think about a Flex 3401, but with today's compounds and the upcoming Meg's microfiber system, you should also be fine with the PC.

RaskyR1
02-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Someone could have done a spot repair on the car too.

Harleyguy
02-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Or they didn't know what they were doing and actually did damage to the paint . As a long shot you can pick up some Meguiars UC from the local store and do a test spot on the areas that have problems .

BobbyG
02-01-2011, 07:59 PM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online Dave!

What you're describing sounds very much like over-spray.

I would clay the entire hood then polish it correcting for any swirls then check to ensure that the defect you described is gone. Once satisfied apply a sealant like Menzerna Power Lock or DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant and a quality wax like Collinite 845.

ScottB
02-01-2011, 08:51 PM
A PC and polishes is a must have for all Vette owners ... consider Menzerna polishes.

rakkvet
02-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Can you post pics?

SATMAN40
02-02-2011, 12:05 AM
A PC and polishes is a must have for all Vette owners ... consider Menzerna polishes

Bought a PC and them, later bought a Flex, I'll take the Flex, for my Vette..Menzerna is great also good on MB's...

Be glad when it warms up...

Kristopher1129
02-02-2011, 12:46 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online Dave!

What you're describing sounds very much like over-spray.

I would clay the entire hood then polish it correcting for any swirls then check to ensure that the defect you described is gone. Once satisfied apply a sealant like Menzerna Power Lock or DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant and a quality wax like Collinite 845.

I agree. First thing I thought of was overspray. :iagree:

bodavenport
02-02-2011, 10:13 AM
I polished out a couple of Vettes last year, man that clear is hard. It required a Griot's V2 using Megs UC on a sur-buff pad followed by D-151 to get it looking right. Looked great after

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/bo_davenport/Evolution%20Detail/002.jpg

After

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/bo_davenport/Evolution%20Detail/012.jpg

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/bo_davenport/Evolution%20Detail/013.jpg

Love that color though

]

Mike Phillips
02-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Recently purchased my first, used '06 in emaculate shape except some issues
on the hood.

There are quite a few swirl marks in the white paint but there are 3 areas the size of a business card that appear dull when looking at the correct angle.

When the clear is buffed off the basecoat, it will appear dull. Gloss is a feature of the clear coat as the color coat is dull.

It kind of sounds like someone may have buffed too much to these areas and the clear has been removed, if this is the case the only way to fix it is to have these areas repainted.

Could also be scoured paint? Someone rubbing a caveman compound to these sections and leaving them dull?

A picture would help but it's pretty hard to capture these kinds of defects on white paint without a little effort and experience in capturing defects in paint.

:)

BobbyG
02-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Mike,

That's a great point, I never considered the absence of clear probably because of the year. A photo might help a little but seeing it in person would help allot! :props:

Flash Gordon
02-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Hey, has anyone mentioned it sounds like overspray...thats what I think it is, someone repainted a section and was sloppy taping off...yep, thats what I thnk happened

BobbyG
02-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Hey, has anyone mentioned it sounds like overspray...thats what I think it is, someone repainted a section and was sloppy taping off...yep, thats what I thnk happened

Yea, I mentioned that earlier because I've seen this many times. Dealers and paint shops just trying to get a newer used car on the lot for sale and never seem to focus on quality..

Kristopher1129
02-02-2011, 11:29 AM
I polished out a couple of Vettes last year, man that clear is hard. It required a Griot's V2 using Megs UC on a sur-buff pad followed by D-151 to get it looking right. Looked great after

Love that color though

]

I like that color a lot. Nice job man! :props: