PDA

View Full Version : First purchase, input please!

badgrandntl
01-31-2011, 05:24 PM
I am a new member and have been really reading over the past month or so and really want to take my detailing to the next step. I am going to mainly be doing my cars and family's 3 cars and friends like 6 or so car. I would eventually like to do this on the side maybe 2 to 5 cars a month.

My cars (to help gauge products)
08 black acura tl leather
98 black trans am leather
03 Pewter mitsubishi lancer cloth

I have some over the counter products but nothing that i will really continue using.

Here is my list of stuff let me know what you think. I am want to keep it around $800. The only product i am really sold on is the Pinicale Souveran and the porter cable 7424XP.

Wash
Optimum No Rinse 128 OZ- will also use for clay lube 40.00
Can i use with water in a spray bottle for washing in the middle of winter?
DP extreme Foam 32 oz 18.00
Pinnacle Quart Foamaster Foam Gun for the hose 50.00
-comes with dp xtremefoam sample
Two grit guards 18.00
I already have microfiber wash mits
3 Pack Cobra Microfiber Waffle for drying 40.00

Clay
Pinnacle ultra ploy clay 2 bars 28.00

Polish
This is where I think i need the most input i was going to go with M105/M205 but heard the working time for the 105 is not very good. On that note this is what I am thinking of getting. not sure if i need both the po106fa and the po85rd also dont think i need 32 oz of each but would have to get wolfgang then i think.

Menzerna PO 83 32 oz 40.00
Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106FA 32 oz 45.00
Menzerna Polish PO 85RD 32 oz 34.99

PRE WAX CLEANER
Pinnicale paint work cleansing lotion 16 oz 20.00
or
Wolfgan paintwork polish enhancer 16 oz 20.00
or
Klasse All-In-One 16.9z 24.99

Paint Sealant/ Glaze
Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0 35.00
or
Klasse High gloss sealant glaze 16.9 oz 20.00

Wax
Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax 8 oz 80.00
Collonite 845 15.00

Spray detailer
Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detailer 20.00

Tire/Wheel
Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel 20.00
Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner 16.00
Daytona Brush set 46.00

Interior
Pinnacle Leather combo 40.00
or
Leatherique combo 60.00
Ultima interior Shampoo gel 13.00
303 Aerospace Protectant 32 oz 20.00

All Purpose Cleaner
303 Aero space cleaner 128 oz 30.00

DA Buffer
Porter Cable 7424Xp with 5.5 backing plate or 5 forget what size they are
Should I get the HD or just stick with the regular?

With the products I am getting I am not sure which pads to get the flat or the hydro-tech by lake country? I am going to get all 5.5 pads for now I think. Also which colors and how many of each for now. Also didn't do much research yet but which pad cleaner and rejuvintor should I get.

Let me know if I am missing something or products that do the same thing and are not nessecary. I just added up my list and am over budget figures.

Thanks in advance for the help and input I am really excited about taking my hobby to the next level.

Scott

snowking724
01-31-2011, 05:37 PM
I would suggest buying the DP rinseless wash & gloss on BOGO instead of the Optimum NO Rinse, same quality but twice the quantity. And if it were me, I would buy the DP clay on BOGO as well. Go with the Wolfgang pre wax polish and sealant as well. Search wheel cleaners also, there may be something just as effective for a lot less $$$.

Old Tiger
01-31-2011, 06:16 PM
All of the DP line is BOGO until Friday. It is a very good line. You need a Waterless Wash too. ONR isnt made for this. The Ultima or DP concentrates are good options. The Foam Gun is fun but not a necissity IMO. Get Hydrotech Tangerine. They are so versatile.

BobbyG
01-31-2011, 06:26 PM
All of the DP line is BOGO until Friday. It is a very good line. You need a Waterless Wash too. ONR isnt made for this. The Ultima or DP concentrates are good options. The Foam Gun is fun but not a necessity IMO. Get Hydrotech Tangerine. They are so versatile.

Jim makes several great points above! :props:

DP is a very good line and when it's Buy One Get One free take a close look at what they have to offer.

If you really want to reduce the overall cost, try dropping some of the gallon sizes and stick with the 32oz offering. Buying a gallon lets you take advantage of buying bulk but it you have a spending cap, like most of us, a smaller quantity will work just as well.

Unless you have your heart set on Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax, drop it and go with Pinnacles Signature Series ll............A great wax and a bit more affordable.

Irish
01-31-2011, 06:29 PM
I'd suggest Meguiar's D101 Meguiar’s All Purpose Cleaner Concentrate, 1 Gallon, works on carpet, fabric, vinyl, and leather for all-over interior cleaning. (http://www.autogeek.net/mg10101.html) for your APC. Very versatile and quite cheap at $12.99 a gallon. Dilute it at 3:1 and it makes a good wheel/tire cleaner as well.

Highly recommend Klasse AIO if you've got room in your budget too.

trhland
01-31-2011, 07:08 PM
u got souveran ur set!!!!!!!

Munich77
01-31-2011, 08:19 PM
I would order Finish Kare 425 as the quick detailer.

badgrandntl
01-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks for all the input guys i will really look at the DP products. I was really thinking the hydro tech pads as well. Should i get one of each and the other 3 tangerine? I think i will also switch to meguairs apc.

badgrandntl
02-01-2011, 10:03 AM
What brand of pad cleaner an rejuvinator is good for the hydro tech pads, also what colors of the hydro tech I wanT to get 6 pads maybe 9 not sure how many of each color.

Thanks Scott

weavers
02-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Get at least 9 hydro pads, 3 of each color. I would also pick up 1 or 2 packs of surbuff pads for when you have a hard clear coat. 5.5"

I wouldn't waste money on paint cleaners. Just do an IPA wipe down. Rubbing alcohol(+91%) 1:1 with distilled water.

What are you using to clean glass? try this:
Meguiar’s Glass Cleaner Concentrate, 1 Gallon, dilutes to make an excellent auto glass cleaner. Meguiars Concentrated Car Glass Cleaner is great for (http://www.autogeek.net/mg12001.html)

I agree with others get some APC and all purpose cleaner. Megs is good or try over the counter if you want to save some money. Purple power as a degreaser.

I would go with the Griot's Garage and get a 5" backing plate. Its more powerful than the PC and will get the job done faster and finish better.
Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-random-orbital-polisher.html)

For wax go with the Collonite 845. Save the coin. Maybe get a glaze like meg 7 or try fk1000p sealant. but really Collonite 845 is the best bang for the buck. you could try the collonite leather wax and just use apc to clean the leather or onr to clean leather for quick wipe downs.

Maybe more wheel brushes
Mothers Tire, Wheel & Well Brush Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-tire-wheel-well-brush-kit.html)

Metal polish. I use never dull and steel wool #0000. I got them from walmart.

If 800 dollars is your budget spend a bit less, like 600 and then test the products see what you like and what you are still lacking then you can place another order in a few months time. You got the basics and thats important.

Munich77
02-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Consider Opti-Clean as the APC - the stuff is awesome.

RobZ71LM7
02-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Get the Griot's DA. I have both the Griot's and 7424XP and the Griot's is much more powerful. If you can afford to wait, you can eventually buy most Autogeek housebrands on BOGO. I like the DP xtreme foam both with a foam gun and as a bucket wash. The Klasse AIO is a great prewax/presealer prep. I would recommend Wolfgang DGPS 3.0 or Klasse SG for looks and ease of use. However there are similar sealants that you can get for a much better price. I also think you should get the Collinite 845IW as it looks great, lasts long, is cheap and easy to use. It would be a good choice for your cars on the side to save you some cash. You could also pair the 105/205 combo with PO85RD. If you get the flat pads I'd purchase orange, white, black and red or blue. Get a large number of the first two if you can afford it. I use the DP pad cleaner.