PDA

View Full Version : Gum in seat

rbss
01-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Im not to knowledgeable on interiors whats the best option to get gum out of cloth seat? Its a new car so I want to make sure it gets done right.

04Si
01-30-2011, 08:19 PM
1st try freezing it and breaking it away from the cloth. This can be done by getting some dry ice (be careful and handle with care so you dont get a dry ice burn on your hands) or by inverting one of those cans of compressed air that you can buy to clean computer keyboards or electronics. When you invert it the propellent comes out and it is very cold.

Shane731
01-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Stoner Xenit is supposed to be able to remove chewing gum from carpet and upholstery. Never tried it myself, so I couldn't be too sure.

Stoner® XENIT- Intensive Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/xenit.html)

Flash Gordon
01-30-2011, 09:33 PM
3m adhesive remover

rbss
01-31-2011, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the help guys I think I have some of the 3m laying around so I will try that first

rakkvet
01-31-2011, 01:09 AM
If you live in a cold climate and the gum is solid you can use a plastic scraper blade to scrape it off. A protein spotter works too. Gum is easy to remove if it is frozen. Otherwise you have to use a protein spotter or gel gum remover.

Tim

jimmyjam
01-31-2011, 05:37 AM
1st try freezing it and breaking it away from the cloth. This can be done by getting some dry ice (be careful and handle with care so you dont get a dry ice burn on your hands) or by inverting one of those cans of compressed air that you can buy to clean computer keyboards or electronics. When you invert it the propellent comes out and it is very cold.

Hey 04Si, That really sounds like a good idea, I would've never thought of that.
:dblthumb2:

Nappers
01-31-2011, 06:02 AM
Radio Shack used to sell freeze spray to diagnose a malfunctioning electronics, may be spendy, but it's nice to have. The dust spray is a great idea too, shake it first then spray.

Flash Gordon
01-31-2011, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the help guys I think I have some of the 3m laying around so I will try that first

Pour a little on a rag then wipe it on the gum. You wanna saturate it and let it see for a minute or two, then use a rag or your fingernail to remove

GL

ShaunD
01-31-2011, 09:04 AM
Years ago I saw my buddies grandmother put peanut butter on the rear seat of her car and thought she was loosing it. She said no, someone got bubble gum on the seat. Sure enough, after it sat there for several hours(can't remember how long exactly), it just wipe off. But, yeah, if it has been sitting there for awhile it might take longer. The freezing method works great too. You can even just take some ice and rub it on the gum until it hardens. But, the canned air upside down will def work quicker and freeze it solid.
*Anybody ever used anything to get dried, melted crayon on/out of cloth seats?* Thanks for any feedback on experiences.

rbss
02-01-2011, 07:12 AM
I live just north of dallas and it was about 70 out all weekend. I wake up this morning and its 19 out and like 6 inches of snow and ice i bet the gum will come off now lol.

jwellsii
02-01-2011, 09:32 AM
A good gum gel will get it out. Just put a little on the gum and let it dwell about 5 - 10 min. It will come right out.

rbss
02-05-2011, 05:29 PM
I have took care of the gum problem with a small amount of goof off and a soft rag.

embolism
02-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Years ago I saw my buddies grandmother put peanut butter on the rear seat of her car and thought she was loosing it. She said no, someone got bubble gum on the seat. Sure enough, after it sat there for several hours(can't remember how long exactly), it just wipe off. But, yeah, if it has been sitting there for awhile it might take longer. The freezing method works great too. You can even just take some ice and rub it on the gum until it hardens. But, the canned air upside down will def work quicker and freeze it solid.
*Anybody ever used anything to get dried, melted crayon on/out of cloth seats?* Thanks for any feedback on experiences.

Use a few paper towels under a couple hankerchiefs (or other thin piece of cloth). Run an iron over the cloths to remelt the wax in the crayon. It should get soaked up by the paper towels. Don't move anything but the iron around, you don't want the wax to spread, just remelt then go into the paper towels...

ShaunD
02-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Use a few paper towels under a couple hankerchiefs (or other thin piece of cloth). Run an iron over the cloths to remelt the wax in the crayon. It should get soaked up by the paper towels. Don't move anything but the iron around, you don't want the wax to spread, just remelt then go into the paper towels...

Thanks embolism. I remember hearing about that before. :dblthumb2:Will have to keep it on a mental post-it for the future. Which I probably won't come across the same issue again for some time. As is the way things go with me in life; probably most people's lives. Think I am going to try and find and extractor or a steamer for cheap for future interiors too. It takes way too long to do them by hand when they are as nasty as the one that had crayon in the seat. Should have went and rented something. Now I know; live and learn, and do better in the future.:D