PDA

View Full Version : Rims

daves120
01-30-2011, 07:09 PM
These pictures are the rims of my 2002 F150 daily driver. The rims appear to have some sort of coating on them. The issue is staining. Over time they have developed spots and streaks and I am not sure how to remove them, and prevent them from coming back.

Any feedback on how to remedy this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Flash Gordon
01-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Your wheels have a clear coating sprayed on them. It looks like at some point someone used a product they shouldn't have. Easiest way to fix, is to have them refurbished.

You may also wanna try this, as refinishing can get expensive

- How to polish aluminum wheels to look like chrome

Setec Astronomy
01-30-2011, 10:35 PM
I'd try some paint polish before I used any aluminum polish. Do you have a machine of some kind? Those look like nice wide flat spokes that a PC would have no trouble with. What do you have available for polishes and pads?

Kristopher1129
01-30-2011, 11:14 PM
I would use some aluminum polish and a wool ball on a drill. Polish the crap out of them. It looks fixable. But, you never really know till you test a few things out. :xyxthumbs:

Nappers
01-31-2011, 06:17 AM
Looks like clear coat on the wheels.

Do a test spot.

Use a metal polish of choice after a thorough cleaning, if the rag comes out black, then uncoated. If nothing on rag (maybe some dirt from stains) then they are clear coated. Clear coat can be treated like paint, I use normal products for paint to correct my wheels. Some react better than some, depending on clear coat. I got a mini ball last year sometime and plan to use it with M105/M205 or whatever brings it out in the future.

You can do it by hand easily but little more work. To protect, use a wax and only use a wheel cleaner when you have to as wheel cleaners strip the wax. Broad ranges of waxes for wheels. I've been using up my M26 liquid for my wheels, dries clear for the clear coat chips and easy to apply and remove and pretty durable. AG has an assortment of wheel waxes.

jimmyjam
01-31-2011, 06:28 AM
I would use some aluminum polish and a wool ball on a drill. Polish the crap out of them. It looks fixable. But, you never really know till you test a few things out. :xyxthumbs:

I would take caution before pulling out the polisher, those rims look clear coated.

GaDetailDoc
01-31-2011, 06:56 AM
I was working on a F150 last year and encountered the exact same thing. Used some mother's Mag Polish, which cleaned it a bit better but no much. The clear is compromised and the best that you can do is to refurbish.

Kristopher1129
01-31-2011, 01:20 PM
I would take caution before pulling out the polisher, those rims look clear coated.

Couldn't you just strip the clear with thinner? Then polish them up?

I'm not asking with sarcasm. I'm actually curious if that would work, ha. :dblthumb2:

DLB
01-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Couldn't you just strip the clear with thinner? Then polish them up?

I'm not asking with sarcasm. I'm actually curious if that would work, ha. :dblthumb2:With thinner, I doubt it (or at least it would take a painfully long process.)

Now, Aircraft Remover, yup, that'll do it. Did a set of WS6 wheels that way.

OP, re-read Nappers post. :xyxthumbs:

DLB

Kristopher1129
01-31-2011, 04:24 PM
With thinner, I doubt it (or at least it would take a painfully long process.)

Now, Aircraft Remover, yup, that'll do it. Did a set of WS6 wheels that way.

OP, re-read Nappers post. :xyxthumbs:

DLB

Nice, that sounds like maybe the direction for this job then. :props:

Bobby B.
01-31-2011, 04:32 PM
Since the wheels look like they are Clear Coated try using a Fine Polish on the surface and that should help remove some or most of the stains. If the polish does not work than I would try and remove the Clear Coat and just Polish the wheels with a really good Metal Polish.

roscoe
01-31-2011, 06:29 PM
I just did my vw rims that where clear coated. They where scratched up real good so i had to remove the clear coat if you look under my name in the gallery and in the sanding and buffing section under fixing rims you can see the process i used and the list of products.

daves120
01-31-2011, 09:48 PM
I do have two polishers, both Griot's. The six and three inch buffers. Right now I have Optimum products, specifically compound, polish and metal polish.

The rims are clear coated and I will try the polish with an orange pad to see if this cleans any of the stains.

If this does not work I will strip the rims, polish the metal and have them resprayed.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Mazda.Mark
02-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Sorry for thread hijack but I didn't want post entire new thread

I was working on my aluminum wheels and I cannot get the wehhels clean on the inside. I used APC, Wheel Cleaner, DP Cleanse, Goo-gone, brushes, scrubbers anything!!!!

I will try post pic later but I just want make sure there is something I am not missing

steel wool?
i heard of comet breaks down old brake dust?

i really want clean w/o taking off wheels. i cant seem find brush hard enough to agitate it.

I ran my fingers over it I'm thinking might be clearcoat failure? Looks like small rock chips?

Any secrest guys and gals?