PDA

View Full Version : how to control large panel vibration?

builthatch
01-30-2011, 11:39 AM
anyone have any tips for controlling wild resonances on huge panels, like pick up hoods, etc? i've noticed that once i get near the middle, no matter what i try, the panel will vibrate, make a ton of noise, and really inhibit the action of the machine. i've tried light pressure, lower speeds...all kinds of stuff.

thanks.

Tom Weed
01-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Maybe have someone push against the panel where is it vibrating light enough to add some pressure without pushing too hard on it that damages it while you are polishing it.

mg6045
01-30-2011, 02:22 PM
anyone have any tips for controlling wild resonances on huge panels, like pick up hoods, etc? i've noticed that once i get near the middle, no matter what i try, the panel will vibrate, make a ton of noise, and really inhibit the action of the machine. i've tried light pressure, lower speeds...all kinds of stuff.

thanks.

With a DA, right ? I dont think a rotary will cause the vibration your talking about.

I could be totally wrong here, but maybe try popping the hood and putting some cushion like a foam wash sponge or something under it. It might be vibrating on the locking mechanism.

Also keep in mind that the Porter Cable DA is one of the worst vibrating DA's there is. I find that with my Flex 3401, I avoid a lot of the vibration you are talking about. I also have a Griots DA that I have yet to get any decent amount of time on. But i'm betting its a smoother machine than the PC.

Flash Gordon
01-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Pretty much comes with the territory. I know of nothing you can do

Kurt_s
01-30-2011, 06:28 PM

thanks.

Another option is to put a pillow or cushion between the engine and hood (not too thick to damage the hood, hood mechanism or engine components) so that the cushion absorbs the vibrations.

builthatch
01-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Another option is to put a pillow or cushion between the engine and hood (not too thick to damage the hood, hood mechanism or engine components) so that the cushion absorbs the vibrations.

thanks guys. yeah, it's a DA. i haven't tried my rotary on such panels.

it's actually the panel vibrating back and forth because it's such a large span. it's pretty aggressive! it's not vibrating against anything on the edge or underneath. it's when panel is such a thin gauge covering a large area where it vibes. it sounds awesome, like a 1 ton jew's harp. i haven't really found any other situation where the DA bothers me on any vehicle except hoods like that. even huge roofs are way better, i guess because of the structural stuff going on with roofs vs. hoods.

these hoods are so big i have to reach pretty far so i feel more comfortable and in control with the DA using one hand. i have 33" arms and still seem to be reaching a bunch.

kurt i think your idea is probably the best idea at this point because something definitely has to be touching it to help dampen things. i wish i could apply dynamat then dynaliner ; )

TLMitchell
01-30-2011, 08:52 PM

I've only had that problem as well as flexing on roofs of full size pickups. I don't experience it with a rotary since you don't have to push as hard as with a DA to effect correction.

TL