PDA

View Full Version : WG Leather care cleaner/conditioner - on Audi/BMW silk nappa leather

mg6045
01-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Reading the description of the WG and Pinnacle Leather cleaners, they specify not to use on Napped leather and/or Glove soft leather.

Is the leather cleaner safe to use on Audi's "silk nappa leather" ? There is no Suede or napped leather, but I think it may qualify as glove soft leather. considering the leather is very soft and feels like its name describe's (as in soft and silky like).

I think i may be ok to use, but I dont want to risk it even a test spot on this specific vehicle.

BMW also use's the same description for there leather "silk nappa".

The Audi seats look like this :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/Giorgi80/DSC00581.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/Giorgi80/DSC00580.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/Giorgi80/DSC00583.jpg

Who would be best to contact about this ? Is there a specific rep for the Wolfgang line that I can contact at Autogeek ? and if so, could I get an email addy ? thx.

VW 91
01-29-2011, 07:58 PM
I do not know the answer to question but that is one awesome looking interior!

mg6045
01-29-2011, 08:24 PM

thx ;)

jimmyjam
01-29-2011, 09:01 PM
I detail for a bmw dealership and I never had a issue with wolfgang cleaner/conditioner, and I use it in every vehicle....

dougaross
01-29-2011, 10:26 PM
:iagree:What model?

ScottB
01-29-2011, 10:28 PM
If the leather is coated you will do fine ,if its not then something like Connollys Hide Food is a great option. Remember we now carry Leathermasters too which works well on all types of leather.

jimmyjam
01-29-2011, 11:11 PM
If the leather is coated you will do
Coated? Some/most GM vehicles leather have a plastic type coating, what other types of coating is there on BMW?

ScottB
01-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Coated? Some/most GM vehicles leather have a plastic type coating, what other types of coating is there on BMW?

most leather used in automotive settings is finished (coated) and indeed has a polyeurothene type coating. Some higher models may use uncoated leather and some additional care is needed when cleaning and protecting.

Matt
01-30-2011, 04:28 AM
For the Audi, it could be uncoated, but I doubt it unless it is the A8.

For the BMW, they're not really a high end car (I know some people wil flame me for saying that) but they're really not. The only model that is likely to have uncoated leather would be the 7 series or the M models.

Maybe there are some others out there but for the majority of BMW's I've driven they all have coated leather. Infact those awful 3 series often have vinyl instead of leather (apart from the M3)

mg6045
01-30-2011, 09:00 AM
For the Audi, it could be uncoated, but I doubt it unless it is the A8.

For the BMW, they're not really a high end car (I know some people wil flame me for saying that) but they're really not. The only model that is likely to have uncoated leather would be the 7 series or the M models.

Maybe there are some others out there but for the majority of BMW's I've driven they all have coated leather. Infact those awful 3 series often have vinyl instead of leather (apart from the M3)

I do know what your saying about the 3 series.

I'm referring the new 5 series. The leather is like a couch. and transfers stains easily. Even softer than the audi leather.

I am going to have to test to see if there uncoated or not, or just use the 3 step leathermaster series. But I was looking for something faster, as I dont want to have to wait the 30 minute to 1 hour wait time between steps.

the reason I ask is because both these cars have unusually soft leather's for a standard type vehicle. (meaning not extreme luxury cars)

Lately I have been using the Sonax Leatherfoam , but the red on the new Audi seat did not react very well to it. It streaked quite a bit, and did not finish off with the normal smooth feeling that product usually gives off.

mg6045
01-30-2011, 09:00 AM
:iagree:what model?
b8 s4. (2011)

mg6045
01-30-2011, 09:09 AM

Most all leather nowadays has a clear vinyl coating. Kind of like a clearcoat for protection of the elements and stains. Its not at all a downgrade for a vehicle to have coated leather. and even the highest end ferrari's (the 458 italia) have coated leather. (just an extreme example).

The coating is extremely thin. And I actually prefer it on my cars, ESPECIALLY if the leather is a light tan color.

mg6045
01-30-2011, 09:14 AM
If the leather is coated you will do fine ,if its not then something like Connollys Hide Food is a great option. Remember we now carry Leathermasters too which works well on all types of leather.

thank you.

I just looked into what Audi of America sells in there vehicle care dept., and its actually the identical 150ml Leathermaster kit that Autogeek sells (soft cleaner and protection cream), except its re-labeled with the Audi labels on the bottles. :) , and of course over-priced. lol ;)

ScottB
01-30-2011, 11:05 AM
thank you.

I just looked into what Audi of America sells in there vehicle care dept., and its actually the identical 150ml Leathermaster kit that Autogeek sells (soft cleaner and protection cream), except its re-labeled with the Audi labels on the bottles. :) , and of course over-priced. lol ;)

I often hear this, and you'll do fine using LeatherMasters or even Leatherique (annually) as desired.