PDA

View Full Version : Pitted Chrome Wheels

fredroe
01-29-2011, 07:14 PM
I recently purchased a metallic black 2009 Chevy pickup complete with aftermarket chrome plated alloy wheels. I just gave the truck a good bath and was disappointed to find a lot of pitting in the wheels. Probably the result of lots of road salt used during Iowa winters. Any suggestions how to clean up these wheels?

Rsurfer
01-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Nothing will get pits out of chrome short of re-chroming. You can try #0000 steel wool with a metal polish to get it as clean as possible and then seal with a wheel sealant.

FUNX650
01-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Nothing will get pits out of chrome short of re-chroming. You can try #0000 steel wool with a metal polish to get it as clean as possible and then seal with a wheel sealant.

:iagree:
Question: By any chance were the 'factory' wheels part of the deal? If so, I'd put those on for the Iowan winters. Keep the 'Chrome' ones for nicer (no salt on roads) weather. I know that you know this: Brake dust also can cause pitting--keep as much off any set of wheels as you possibly can.

Hurry up Spring!

ScottB
01-29-2011, 10:31 PM

:iagree:

Griots Chrome Wheel Cleaner
Flitz Metal Polish or Megs Chrome Polish'
DP or Poorboys Wheel Sealant

fredroe
02-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks all for the input. I used 0000 steel wool with Megs chrome polish followed with DP wheel sealant. Not perfect but they look a lot better.