PDA

View Full Version : What are these lines in my paint??

quantim0
12-19-2006, 03:30 PM
I had my car in the sun today for the first time in a week or so and I noticed these lines in my hood. They appear to be lighter in color then the rest of the hood. They happen to be where I tried to get some light swirls out with my PC XMT2/LC Orange pad combo. You can see the lines right next to the hood scoops, on the left hand side of the scoops. Did I do something horribly wrong? Can it be fixed and how can I go about doing that? Thanks.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/quantim0/IMG_0675.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/quantim0/IMG_0676.jpg

Russecu
12-19-2006, 04:44 PM
To be honest it looks like where a jet went across the sky and left a trail. other than that I havent seen that before so I am no help.:confused:

Surfer
12-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Looks almost like a mini buffer trail from a rotary. That is weird. If you really focused on that area, the edge of the pad may have gone through the clear since spots like that (angles etc) have much thinner paint/clear. Not sure really. Really looks like the edge of a pad was just concentrating on that area and maybe marred it?

ScottB
12-19-2006, 07:26 PM
wash or wipe down first and see if they are gone. If so, likely to much LSP was used in that area. If below the LSP, then likely buffing trails where you failed to move over and overlap each area. Repolishing might be needed.

quantim0
12-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Ok, thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't burn through my clear. Which I was under the impression is pretty difficult with a PC. I'll try to get them off over the weekend.

Would this be remedied with a fine polish (XMT 1 on white pad) or should I use something slightly more abrasive.

Whitethunder46
12-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Ok, thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't burn through my clear. Which I was under the impression is pretty difficult with a PC. I'll try to get them off over the weekend.

Would this be remedied with a fine polish (XMT 1 on white pad) or should I use something slightly more abrasive.

I would think to start with that... in case you did remove some clear, a more aggressive polish could only make it worse.

teeks
12-19-2006, 09:05 PM
maybe some excess polish that you didnt fully clean off? or something else on the paint. maybe aio would take it out

P1et
12-19-2006, 09:12 PM
I hope that no one was doing lines off your GTO hood when you weren't looking!

dengood1
12-19-2006, 09:26 PM
always use the less abrasive combo first, then move up if needed.

Sevenrd
12-20-2006, 12:15 AM
I came across something similar when detailing an RX300 a while back. Under certain light I could see a line on the hood (wider than the one in your pic) that was a lighter color than the rest of the paint. The clear was intact and polishing did nothing. As far as I could tell it was under the clear. Just a poor paint job I suppose. I don't think it was a repaint either. ???