PDA

View Full Version : Swirl scratches....

gipperkid
12-19-2006, 08:23 AM
I recently purchased a 2006 Tundra. I picked it up at night and the next morning I noticed a 1/2" sratch on the bed. I tried some 3M fine cut rubbing compound, but it was too deep. My father had to take it back to the dealer to have LoJack installed and he had them look at it. Well all they did was blob it with touch up paint and tried blend it in with a buffer. But now there are major buffer/swirl marks down the bed side and it looks like crap in the sun light or under shop lights. I would have rather them just left it alone. What can be done to fix this?? XMT swirl remover?

supercharged
12-19-2006, 08:39 AM
I recently purchased a 2006 Tundra. I picked it up at night and the next morning I noticed a 1/2" sratch on the bed. I tried some 3M fine cut rubbing compound, but it was too deep. My father had to take it back to the dealer to have LoJack installed and he had them look at it. Well all they did was blob it with touch up paint and tried blend it in with a buffer. But now there are major buffer/swirl marks down the bed side and it looks like crap in the sun light or under shop lights. I would have rather them just left it alone. What can be done to fix this?? XMT swirl remover?
are you familiar with PC? That sounds like a job for a machine.
XMT (probably you will need #3 and #1 to finish), some cutting pads (medium cut Edge green pad) to remove the defect...

I can't say for sure though...

Can you post some pictures?

gipperkid
12-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Here a couple pics. I hope they are o.k.

http://i12.tinypic.com/3youtrr.jpg
http://i13.tinypic.com/40pwtba.jpg
http://i17.tinypic.com/3yi0bh2.jpg

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Nica
12-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Wow, is this new? sure doesn't look new with all those swirls.

Anthony Orosco
12-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Those are not true "swirls" caused by a rotary but halo-scratches. Swirls are micro scratches within the paint caused by using too aggressive of a pad/product and then not properly finishing the job. Swirls are easier to remove than halo-scratches (halo-scatches appear to be circular, hence the name, but in reality they are numerous random scratches) so to completely remove them you'll most likely need a machine. The PC works OK but the Cyclo is far better but not everyone has $300.00 to drop on a Cyclo. I'm guessing you can get a PC, one LC orange pad and one LC white pad and some Optimum Poli-Seal. Use the white pad with the Poli-Seal first and see how it looks. If it needs more then use the orange pad. Anthony

gipperkid
12-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Yeah, it's brand new. Picked up on 11/24/06. I have only washed it twice using the lambs wool mit. The front, driver side portion of the bed has those swirls. The swirls go back to the flare. I was so aggravated when I saw it. I don't even want to take it back to the dealer. Help!!!???

gipperkid
12-19-2006, 09:48 AM
So should I complain to the dealer or just forget about it and have a body shop do it?

supercharged
12-19-2006, 09:51 AM
I think that can me corrected with XMT2 or SSR2. At least that's what I would start with. Do you have a PC? Appropriate pads for it?
If not and trying to fix it by hand (will be very difficult) then use Meguiar's Scratch X. Work it in until it turns clear, remove it with MF towel. Inspect your finish. Work on about 1 square foot area at a time.

supercharged
12-19-2006, 09:52 AM
So should I complain to the dealer or just forget about it and have a body shop do it?
and dealer will offer you that he will remove them. causing you more of new ones.

Nica
12-19-2006, 10:02 AM

The unfortunate thing is that the dealership just wants to get your business and move on, well that's just my opinion. As far as taking it back to the dealer you could but not sure what you will get out of it. The probability of the dealership doing something about it are slim, now if you stand your ground firmly then perhaps they may do something for you. I had a similar case with one of my vehicles. I stood my ground solid and did not budge. The vehicle went back and forth about five times until they got it right. Even then I was not completely satisfied, the entire process is frustrating and well I don't think it's worth it.

That is why I joined this pace, because I want to fix things my self. I take pride in what I own and I want it to show and the only way I will ever get that is by putting lots of personal effort and time to get the perfect results I so eagerly want.

tonyspop
12-19-2006, 10:06 AM
So should I complain to the dealer or just forget about it and have a body shop do it?Dealers don't have professional body men.They have people working who have very little experience and need employment.I recently purchased a 2007 chevy silverado.Went over the truck with a fine tooth comb.Paint had some orange peel but I could live with it.While we were haggling over price,unbeknownst to me they took it to have it washed.Bought the truck,took it home and washed three days later and found nasty swirls and scratches on the roof.Not there before they took it to have it washed.Do it yourself :D After all,next to transportation ,appearance is the next most important aspect.:cheers:

gipperkid
12-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks for everyone's input. What are some good product kits I can buy to do this myself? XMT swirl remover kits? Meguiars kits?

Nica
12-19-2006, 03:14 PM
I just purchased the entire XMT line up and I did lots of re-search and it's one that was recommended. There are others but I went with this one. Haven't used it yet, but when I do I'll post my results and what I think of it.