PDA

View Full Version : 3M trizak or Meguiars ??

cobraa
01-27-2011, 08:58 AM
my friend says he swear by the trizak disk but he got them for free too LOLL..

considering they are woth 2-3x more than the meguiars. is it really worth it?

I don't have a DA either but if that's the price to have an uniform sanding panel, I would think it's worth it..

Mike Phillips
01-27-2011, 09:14 AM
They both work great, the slurry used for the Meguiar's is a little different but I can't really tell a difference in performance.

I think I have some detailed information about the Unigrit discs here,

Dampsanding Tips and Techniques (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/25915-damp-sanding-tools-tips-techniques-mike-phillips.html)

The below applies to both Trizact and Unigrit discs when dampsanding...

B.I.T.E.

This is key remember… BITE which stands for Break-In Time Efficiency

New discs SKIM the surface until they break-in. A brand new disc requires anywhere from 2-4 passes to break-in before maximum cutting efficiency is reached. This has to do with physical process taking place on the surface of the paint and a physical process taking place on the surface of the paper.

Top coat hardness is a huge factor and unknown variable between cars and effects how fast or how slow a disc will break-in. During the manufacturing process, the Unigrit abrasive particles are embodied in a slurry which hardens into a solid medium and this medium offers a controlled rate of break-down.

Efficient cutting is seen when the water slurry on the surface is whitish in color. This is an indicator of clear paint particles suspended in the water film on the surface.

During break-in, the disc goes from skimming to biting or abrading... your job?

Pay attention to the task at hand.

This circles back to monitoring how much water you're using because a lack of whitish appearance to the water could mean the disc is either,

Not broken in yet
Too much water on the surface resulting in hydroplaning
The disc is spent or used-up, that is the majority of abrasives have been worn off the face of the disc

The appearance for all three of the above is clear water on the surface, so pay attention to the amount of water on the surface and how much area you've used each disc to sand and the concentration or lack thereof of the whitish appearance to the lubricating water.

:)

reality33
01-27-2011, 10:44 AM
I use the trizak discs myself and really love them. I have not tried the Meguiars discs, so I really cant compare.

RaskyR1
01-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Pretty much the same thing according to the 3M guy I talked to at SEMA.

C. Charles Hahn
01-28-2011, 01:31 AM
My own arsenal is fully stocked with Meguiar's Unigrit, but I wouldn't mind using the 3M Trizact if it came down to it.