PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang finishing glaze--how strong?

Pages : [1] 2

chasm47
01-26-2011, 08:58 AM
I have a friend with a 09 corvette with very minor swirls--he is very reluctant to use a polisher on it. Will Wolfgang finishing glaze work to remove very minor swirls on the hard clear coat? What is it comparable to in other product lines?:buffing:

LegacyGT
01-26-2011, 09:06 AM
It wont remove any swirls, it will just fill them in with oil (this is glaze in general, I would have to check if WG has any polishing component).

edit: It has Nano-polish mixed in, so it will remove light swirls, and should do a good job of filling in the rest. Also the Nano polish is great for hard clear coats.

chasm47
01-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Wolfgags own product review says it has no fillers and has a mild polishing action. Just looking for someone who has used it on hard clear coats.

loudog2
01-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Equal to Menzerna 106FA. It will remove imperfections and leave a nice gloss. It's not as strong as SIP or 105, so don't expect it to work miracles.

FUNX650
01-26-2011, 11:10 AM
I have a friend with a 09 corvette with very minor swirls--he is very reluctant to use a polisher on it. Will Wolfgang finishing glaze work to remove very minor swirls on the hard clear coat? What is it comparable to in other product lines?:buffing:

I've used it on my Corvette with excellent results, but, I see by your post that you might have a couple of issues.

1. Your friend is reluctant to have a 'polisher' used to perform any paint corrections which would mean that,

2. Corrections will be by 'hand' polishing--very time consuming and harder work doing so because,

3. Assuming this is one of the many varied types of "'hard' clear coats", then the phrase "minor swirls" could be a misnomer---if the clear coat is 'hard', as it were, then the swirls or other paint defects that are now present were 'hard' to inflict so they will be 'hard' to remove. ( Hope this makes sense). I agree with loudsog2: you may have to go to a more aggressive/stronger polish. But in doing so,

4. I try to remember that any further swirls that is induced to these 'hard' clear coats by trying to remove the original "minor swirls" will also be 'hard' to remove. (Could become a lot more than a 1-step polishing process!)

Try the finishing glaze first [looks like by hand :( ] and if not satisified with results go to a more intensive/aggressive polish with the above #4 in mind. Once you, and now your best friend, are completed/satisified with the paint correction and you wish to stay within the Wolfgang products, their Deep Gloss Paint Sealant would be, IMO, a fine LSP. (Often I'll wait 12-24 hrs after DGPS and apply a coat of Pinnacle Sig Series II :) )

mg6045
01-26-2011, 04:11 PM
It wont remove any swirls, it will just fill them in with oil (this is glaze in general, I would have to check if WG has any polishing component).

edit: It has Nano-polish mixed in, so it will remove light swirls, and should do a good job of filling in the rest. Also the Nano polish is great for hard clear coats.

ughhhh,,, its actually a PURE polish, with NO fillers, and neither is it a GLAZE.

It is basically Menz 106 with some additional polishing oils (that are not designed for filling)

ScottB
01-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Equal to Menzerna 106FA. It will remove imperfections and leave a nice gloss. It's not as strong as SIP or 105, so don't expect it to work miracles.

:iagree:

but it will finish down so well that often most find no additional final polishing needed. Great light polish and works well on Vettes harder coat.

Dr Oldz
01-26-2011, 09:30 PM
I think they should change the name of this product from glaze to polish.....seems to be a lot of confusion with people thinking this is a typical glaze with fillers and such when it is actually a polish!!

Harleyguy
01-26-2011, 09:51 PM
I think they should change the name of this product from glaze to polish.....seems to be a lot of confusion with people thinking this is a typical glaze with fillers and such when it is actually a polish!! I couldn't agree more with that statement any time you see the word GLAZE mentioned the first thing that comes to mind is fillers .

R/TED
01-27-2011, 01:29 PM
I couldn't agree more with that statement any time you see the word GLAZE mentioned the first thing that comes to mind is fillers .

+2

Mike Phillips
01-27-2011, 02:34 PM
It contains diminishing abrasives, it can and will remove paint, thus it can and will level the surface and that's actually how swirls are removed.

It is a "finishing polish" and as such it is only intended to remove shallow defects or refine the results achieved by a more aggressive product.

I will often use it to benchmark other finishing polishes against as it does finish down defect free.

Remember, you can adjust how aggressive any product is by changing the application material or procedure, that said, I wouldn't use this product with a more aggressive product to remove defects that are not coming out with a finishing pad but instead would use a more aggressive product.

Your friend is perfectly normal for being concerned with using too aggressive of a product as all too often we've all seen the results of a shoddy work with too aggressive of a product but if this is the factory clear on a Corvette then at a minimum you should convince him to trust you with some Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover or Menzerna SIP

"You never know what you can do until you try"

Place a tape line down on his hood and try the least aggressive approach and then remove the residue, wipe with a IPA solution and then show your friend the true results of what can be done to a small area using a very NON-aggressive approach and be prepared to then show him what can be done going a tick more aggressive should he be curious.

As for the comments on fillers... what some people call fillers a manufacture might think of as a lubricating agent. People forget the goal is to create beauty... try mixing water, a non filling ingredient with any type of abrasives and see how that polishes out... don't use any lubricants/fillers besides the water.

:D

Mike Phillips
01-27-2011, 02:37 PM

What type of "polisher" are you going to use?

Rotary Buffer?
Cyclo?
Porter Cable PC 7424XP?
Flex 3401?

Besides how aggressive a product is, application MATERIAL, that's your buffing pad, and application PROCESS, that's how you apply the product with the buffing pad or in other words your choice of machine are HUGE factors that influence how aggressive the stuff you pour out of a bottle is.

See this article,

Factors that affect how aggressive or non-aggressive a product is... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/28458-factors-affect-how-aggressive-non-aggressive-product.html)

:xyxthumbs:

Dr Oldz
01-28-2011, 02:51 AM
As for the comments on fillers... what some people call fillers a manufacture might think of as a lubricating agent. People forget the goal is to create beauty... try mixing water, a non filling ingredient with any type of abrasives and see how that polishes out... don't use any lubricants/fillers besides the water.

If this was referring to my post.... I should have more specific!! The word glaze is very undefined in the detailing industry!! I personally feel that WG finishing glaze should be called finishing polish because it contains mechanical abrasives. No matter if it has oils or fillers....... Most people consider a glaze a non-abrasive procedure!! Personally I don't care what u call it.... I know what it can do and it works wonderfully.

Matt
01-28-2011, 04:53 AM
I think they should change the name of this product from glaze to polish.....seems to be a lot of confusion with people thinking this is a typical glaze with fillers and such when it is actually a polish!!

:iagree:

Mike Phillips
01-28-2011, 11:24 AM
If this was referring to my post.... I should have more specific!!

Nah... my post wasn't targeted at anyone. If I targeting someone I quote them, been doing the forum thing for a few years now... know my way around this type of interface... :)

The word glaze is very undefined in the detailing industry!!

That's because there's no Wax Police but as soon as they can find a way to create a bureaucracy to start controlling this industry you'll see a new Tax on all detailing supplies to support the bureaucracy. :props:

I personally feel that WG finishing glaze should be called finishing polish because it contains mechanical abrasives. No matter if it has oils or fillers....... Most people consider a glaze a non-abrasive procedure!! Personally I don't care what u call it.... I know what it can do and it works wonderfully.

The words polish and glaze are so misused and abused, some products have the word "polish" on the label and they are a non-abrasive synthetic paint sealant, some products have the word "glaze" on the label and they are a Carnauba wax.

I don't rant and rave very often on any forum but somewhere on this forum I have a rant about the terms glaze, polish and fillers and polishing oils, if someone can find it PM me the link.

I know I've probably typed more about the topic of fillers than anyone that posts regularly to auto detailing forums, some of the best threads on this topic are in the "Hot Topics" forum on MOL where I've answered questions about fillers for going on 7 years now...

The bad news is it's highly unlikely anything will ever change, companies will pick whatever name they like and slap it on a label.

The good news is you can do what I do, forget defining a product by the name on the label, instead define a product but the task it performs.

:xyxthumbs: