PDA

View Full Version : flex 3401 - how much pressure

dougaross
01-26-2011, 12:01 AM
I have been a PC user and recently moved up to a flex 3401. I think I understand the amount of pressure required to do paint correction using my PC but I am uncertain about the amount of pressure I should apply using the flex. With forced rotation it doesn't seem like it's going slow down with any amount of pressure. So should I be applying 15 lbs or less pressure required?
Feed back please

Showroom Shine
01-26-2011, 06:51 AM
I have been a PC user and recently moved up to a flex 3401. I think I understand the amount of pressure required to do paint correction using my PC but I am uncertain about the amount of pressure I should apply using the flex. With forced rotation it doesn't seem like it's going slow down with any amount of pressure. So should I be applying 15 lbs or less pressure required?
Feed back please
Let the machine do the work along with the product! Why do you feel the need to add pressure?

goathead
01-26-2011, 09:16 AM
It's a different animal than the PC. I just picked one up and I'm still getting used to it. You really don't need to apply pressure on it like you did with the PC. I've found in the few tests I've done that the weight of the machine and my hand on it has been enough. I worked over a deeper scratch and did apply some pressure and it removed the scratch, but the machine will also generate a good amount of heat when you apply pressure because of the forced rotation and the increased power over the PC.

loudog2
01-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Same pressure as using a PC.

dougaross
01-26-2011, 03:57 PM
well, everybody seems to be in agreement :laughing:

anybody else want to weigh in?

feslope
01-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Work with the pad 1/32" off the finish. :pc7424:

BobbyG
01-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Work with the pad 1/32" off the finish. :pc7424:

I tried this and it takes allot longer....:laughing:

Use it just like your Porter Cable. As you're moving the buffer you'll know just what pressure to apply by how it feels..... very easy to use and no surprises.

Bunky
01-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Hold it flat against the paint and then let the machine do its business. It may take a little practice with arm position to keep it flat.

The more pressure you hold and less flat means it will walk even more.

Crazy Amos
01-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Just a quick question.

Do you guys find it irritating when switching from your rotary to the Flex? What I mean is, when you compound/polish the whole vehicle and then switch to the flex for polishing and LSP, do you find it irritating to switch from a bar grip to the nicely molded ergonomic grip on the flex?

You get in the groove and get the feel of vehicle with one machine, then have to switch to q completely different "feel".

Personally I absolutley love the feel of the flex-whenever possible I grab the flex because of how smooth it operates and handles.

Why won't all of the American manufacturers switch?! They have in the UK-take the new 3M polisher. US version is the same ole setup and the UK version is a beauty. It weighs something like 5 lbs and has the same layout as the new flex.

This is extremely frustrating to me. Thoughts?

dougaross
01-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Just a quick question.

Do you guys find it irritating when switching from your rotary to the Flex? What I mean is, when you compound/polish the whole vehicle and then switch to the flex for polishing and LSP, do you find it irritating to switch from a bar grip to the nicely molded ergonomic grip on the flex?

You get in the groove and get the feel of vehicle with one machine, then have to switch to q completely different "feel".

Personally I absolutley love the feel of the flex-whenever possible I grab the flex because of how smooth it operates and handles.

Why won't all of the American manufacturers switch?! They have in the UK-take the new 3M polisher. US version is the same ole setup and the UK version is a beauty. It weighs something like 5 lbs and has the same layout as the new flex.

This is extremely frustrating to me. Thoughts?
I don't use the side handle when I use my PC