PDA

View Full Version : Tire dressing question

Pages : [1] 2

kansasdn
12-18-2006, 10:52 AM
I was in a local auto parts store Saturday and saw some Stoner More Shine Less Time tire spray--although sprays are a mess, is this product any good?? I know they make IG, which is great stuff---Tire stuff was on sale for 1/2 price and thought I might give it a try by spraying it on an applicator?? Durability?? Sling-off?? Thanks

Surfer
12-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Don't know, but after using Meg's Insane Shine spray, I'll never use one of those aerosol products again. Sounds like it would be great for wheels weels etc though.

abrcrombe
12-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Aerosol sprays in general aren't very good. Something like Meg's lasts 2 days... That is sad. If you want to get something locally, just get Armor All Foam.

kring
12-18-2006, 02:32 PM
I'm fairly new to all of this myself, I've always used Meguair's or other autozone attainable detailing products, but with a new car (my reality dream car) I decided to do a little reading up and wanted to make sure I go the extra steps and use the right products, even at an added cost. I decided to go with Wolfgang and a few pinnacle products, placed my orders a few months ago and have completed 2 cars so far. I can tell you that it's a world of a difference betweed doing the extra claying, polishing and surface preping steps. and it's a glalaxy's difference when using top quality products after the proper prepping i.e. Wolfgang's deep gloss sealant... WOW, the cars paint is slick and smooth as can be while running your fingers over it, I stand in awe now at the difference between this and going with the mix & match store bought products. My point here is that there is a major difference between the $4.99 tire dressing and the $12.99 tire dressings. and it is clearly noticable.

Here's what I've used/done for my tires and they are not only the best I've every done, but they are the hands down best I've ever seen.

Wolfgang Tire and wheel cleaner
Wolfgang Black Onyx Tire Gel
Oxo Tire cleaning brush
Oxo long handle Wheel cleaning brush

Steps:
1.) Wash the wheels and tires with the long handle wheel brush, especially the tires with the wheel brush and cleaner, I do it a second time until the foam is white, and not black 2-3 times a year, most the time once is good enough.

2.) Pour 3-4 5" strips of tire gel on the tire cleaning brush for the first wheel, the brush takes a few strips to initially get moist, the next tires only need about 1 extra strip at most. Brish the wheel's hard and back and forth making sure to get the gel evenly spread through the treands letting and the other usually hard to reach spots, keep going around the tire to get it all smooth, then move on to the next tire.

it takes about 12 hours to settle in, but once it does, your tires are jet black but yet they are a satin/eggshell finish, they are not all slimy and gooey, looking like they are melting (I hate that look).

So far I've driven through snow, 5 rains of which one lasted 4 days. and it's been freezing and so forth, it's been 4 weeks and this tire gel is still going strong.

The reason I use the brush is because it gets into the cracks like nothing else, the foam applicators only coat the top or you have to pack it in and then it's all gooey extra dressing in the cracks, it waste product and it doesn't look nearly as good. The brush applies a super thin coat and gets in the cracks with an even application.

I thought at first the 16oz bottle wouldn't last long, but I've done 2 cars and maybe only used 2oz so far... so it does last a long time and it's worth every penny.

Surfer
12-18-2006, 02:40 PM
If your going OTC, pick up Armor All Tire Foam (regular) and some Armor All Extreme Gel. Excellent durabilty and looks and cheap, I use it and love it as I go through product quickly wth all our vehicles. Otherwise if you order from AG, still pick up the Armor All Tire Foam OTC, and maybe some DP Tire Gel or other quality gel form AutoGeek. The Armor All Foam has excellent cleaning abilities and leave s a nice, black matte look that's a good base for a gel.

ScottB
12-18-2006, 06:14 PM
O have used Stoners in my wheelwells on occasion, any aerosol will do. The glossier the better.

kansasdn
12-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Killer-Thats s great idea--I always have a hard time cleaning in the wells--Any tricks?? Will add some DP tire gel or Black Onxy to my next order

Surfer--The AA combo sure is talked up alot--will use that until my next AG order

P1et
12-18-2006, 08:05 PM
I hate the spraycans as you end up getting it all on your wheels, which seems to attract more dirt than ever!

supercharged
12-19-2006, 03:15 AM
I was in a local auto parts store Saturday and saw some Stoner More Shine Less Time tire spray--although sprays are a mess, is this product any good?? I know they make IG, which is great stuff---Tire stuff was on sale for 1/2 price and thought I might give it a try by spraying it on an applicator?? Durability?? Sling-off?? Thanks
Get it and use it on wheelwells. As for tires, I'd get some quality tire gel. DP, Wolfgang and Pinnacle are some of the best, and you won't be dissapointed with them. If you want to get a tire dressing at your local auto chains, then look for Meguiar's Endurance tire gel. It is the best one you can buy OTC.

noname5
12-19-2006, 03:03 PM
I find AA tire foam has an "ok" applicator... after a little practice I'm now able to get it almost exactly on the tire. It also makes for cleaner wheel well dressing application. There is a bit of overspray on the wheel, and maybe even occasionally on the paint, but it wipes off so easily with some ONR QD (and its clear on the wheels anyway) that it really isn't that big of a deal.

However, I always follow up with a nice, well-wiped down layer of Meg's High Endurance Gel.

Bhut8807
12-19-2006, 07:09 PM
I usually use Megs Hot Shine. If you let it sit for awhile it works great and is rather cheep. As long as I let it sit for awhile it always makes the tires look brand-new.

RTexasF
12-19-2006, 08:18 PM
I've used it for years on tires, wheelwells, engine/hood area, and plastic/rubber cladding. I find it to be a superb product and, when ordered by the case, is dirt cheap. Since it is a high silicone content product you use it first not last. If used after you've spent hours polishing and selaing/waxing you will see tiny spots all over the car and windows which wipe off easily but why do another step? Clean the wheels, spray the wheelwells, tires, and engine FIRST. Any overspray will be gone after washing and detailing the car..
No sling, very directional spray head, one coat matte, two coats super shiny. It will displace water so it doesn't really matter if the areas are wet or not. I find it an invaluable tool and won't be without it.

For what it's worth......

ScottB
12-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Watchin Overhaulin tonight as they were redoing a Boss 302 ... when the young one jumped out and Armol All Gel'd the tires. All I could think of is Justin doing the same thing for all his customers.

dengood1
12-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Watchin Overhaulin tonight as they were redoing a Boss 302 ... when the young one jumped out and Armol All Gel'd the tires. All I could think of is Justin doing the same thing for all his customers.

I have found that there is absolutely no sling when using AA Gel, where 99% of all other gels I've used sling unless buffed off after curing. The 1% that made the cut was Pinnacle Black Onyx gel and AA gel. Both fantastic in their own way.

Gary Sword
12-19-2006, 09:47 PM
I have been using Wolfgang Black Onyx Tire Gel and I think it does a great job. It gives your tires a very nice natural semigloss new tire look. I like my paint to look super shinney and wet but not my tires. I have not noticed any sling-off which I really hate. A little goes a long way and seems to hold up well.