PDA

View Full Version : Paint Chip Repair?

Excessive Detail
01-24-2011, 01:44 PM
So Im in the early stages of filling a bunch of the paint chips in my car. Already got the paint, clean the chipped areas well, started to fill in the chips, let cure over night, now it time for wetsanding and then polishing out the spots. My question is, Does this sound like a good plan, any steps Im missing, and are there any good how to threads or post about this on AG that anyone knows of off hand?

Also, one of the paint chips has started to rust, I know I cant just go straight to filling it in. What the best waqy to get rid of the rust and/or best way to take care of this?

Thanks.

jonn127
01-24-2011, 02:32 PM
my guess would be Iron.x by Carpro, pretty hard to find and not much info out there about it, but pretty spectacular stuff.

embolism
01-24-2011, 03:19 PM
take a hole punch and punch out a hole from some 1500 or 2000 grit and rubber cement it onto the head of a pencil eraser. Use that to sand the rust off. You can then put a thin coat of rust destroyer or similar. By thin, I mean thin so its still below the level of the surrounding paint. Use a pointy toothpick or something, not a brush. Just touch the point to the middle of the chip and let capilliary action do the rest. Let dry overnight then do the same for the touchup paint. I'd wait a week for it to dry before buffing though...

Or you can go for the specialized paint from Dr. Colourchip. It's gotten good reviews on here...